Looking back

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by kewlkid75, Dec 21, 2010.

1. kewlkid75

kewlkid75 Well-Known Member

Now, I know looking back isn't the right thing to do.
    Here is the deal. I was recently at my mothers house and saw a couple of pictures of me. 1 was me in the US Navy 21yrs old and the other was me in a baseball cap and thin and in great shape. I weighed about 160lbs or so. Really handsome fella. I have been out of the service now since late 1998 and gained weight, lost weight etc, etc...

I am 35 now, 36 in Feb and I thought to myself "I was a good looking guy and what happened to me now". I sometimes wish I could go back to those days. I am realistic though. I just live my life as it is. Eat right, exercise. Aaaaaahhhhhh, the days gone by.

Do any of you ever look back?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I look back often sometimes trying to will myself to sleep and sometimes in the cold gray light of dawn when I have not been able to sleep, but then I look in the mirror in the morning and say to myself... "It takes a long time to become a person. Longer than they tell you. Longer than I ever thought. I am grateful for my past; it has given me the present. I want to do well by the future." (The Readers Digest version of this is in my signature)
    Meanwhile I'm considering cosmetic surgery so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, there's quite a bit of evidence that 100% of all deaths are a result of having been alive.

I remember reading Cheri and Le dernier de Cheri (El fin de Cheri? -- je ne me souviens), as a small part of suffering through 5 years of university-level French. Colette was a wise author and even her most schmaltzy novels impart nuggets of deep truths. Anyway, in the throes of my 20s I took a clue from her character Lea, a courtesan who knew what she was doing, and realized I, too, wasn't going to be young, healthy, and fit forever.

With the exception of a deep hatred of a particular religious cult (which really puts up giant barriers on the eight paths to enlightenment) I've few regrets. Sure, if it really worked I'd probably have a micro hair transplant, but look how well Matt Lauer's has turned out! LOL!

However, I can honestly stay I have only one real regret. Back in the mid 80s I noticed a captured sea turtle trying to escape the fountain in the courtyard of my hotel at Islas Mujeres, MX. It was about 2:00 or 3:00 AM and all I had to do was quickly sneak down the exterior stairs, pick up the turtle, and whisk it across the street to the beach -- a distance of probably 20 meters? But I chickened out; afraid I'd be caught.

Of course, the next day at lunch the special was sea turtle steaks and soup. i no longer worry about getting caught doing anything that might help someone or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice