Looking back

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by kewlkid75, Dec 21, 2010.

1. kewlkid75

kewlkid75 Active Member

Albums:
    Now, I know looking back isn't the right thing to do.
    Here is the deal. I was recently at my mothers house and saw a couple of pictures of me. 1 was me in the US Navy 21yrs old and the other was me in a baseball cap and thin and in great shape. I weighed about 160lbs or so. Really handsome fella. I have been out of the service now since late 1998 and gained weight, lost weight etc, etc...

I am 35 now, 36 in Feb and I thought to myself "I was a good looking guy and what happened to me now". I sometimes wish I could go back to those days. I am realistic though. I just live my life as it is. Eat right, exercise. Aaaaaahhhhhh, the days gone by.

Do any of you ever look back?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I look back often sometimes trying to will myself to sleep and sometimes in the cold gray light of dawn when I have not been able to sleep, but then I look in the mirror in the morning and say to myself... "It takes a long time to become a person. Longer than they tell you. Longer than I ever thought. I am grateful for my past; it has given me the present. I want to do well by the future." (The Readers Digest version of this is in my signature)
    Meanwhile I'm considering cosmetic surgery so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

Well, there's quite a bit of evidence that 100% of all deaths are a result of having been alive.

I remember reading Cheri and Le dernier de Cheri (El fin de Cheri? -- je ne me souviens), as a small part of suffering through 5 years of university-level French. Colette was a wise author and even her most schmaltzy novels impart nuggets of deep truths. Anyway, in the throes of my 20s I took a clue from her character Lea, a courtesan who knew what she was doing, and realized I, too, wasn't going to be young, healthy, and fit forever.

With the exception of a deep hatred of a particular religious cult (which really puts up giant barriers on the eight paths to enlightenment) I've few regrets. Sure, if it really worked I'd probably have a micro hair transplant, but look how well Matt Lauer's has turned out! LOL!

However, I can honestly stay I have only one real regret. Back in the mid 80s I noticed a captured sea turtle trying to escape the fountain in the courtyard of my hotel at Islas Mujeres, MX. It was about 2:00 or 3:00 AM and all I had to do was quickly sneak down the exterior stairs, pick up the turtle, and whisk it across the street to the beach -- a distance of probably 20 meters? But I chickened out; afraid I'd be caught.

Of course, the next day at lunch the special was sea turtle steaks and soup. i no longer worry about getting caught doing anything that might help someone or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted