loonier than ever

awellhungboi: Absolutely! I grew up on Looney Tunes, and I think it really helped me develop my slightly skewed, anarchic world view.

The classic WB cartoons are starting to be released on DVD too!

My favorite is, and always will be, Bugs Bunny.

sammygirly: Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!!

Actually, the old cartoons are great - but the newer ones leave me missing something. I probably won't watch this new movie

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Shhhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits!

Huh huh huh huh!

My all time favorite was the opera takeoff that Sammy quoted.

At one time I was filling out the empty portions of my videotaped movies with Loonie Tunes and Merrie Melodies - over 800 of them by my last count.

Pecker

(Pay - ah say! Pay attention, boy! Ya cain't learn nothin' yappin' your jaw all the time. I declare! Cain't get a word in edgewise!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hear ya about the looney tunes on DVD, monstro, I'm already saving my pennies, (literally!) for that one. I don't think I could get through one year without at least seeing the stupified look on Wile E. Coyote's face after an explosion! It still makes me choke on my coffee some mornings when I need to wake up. ;D

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[quote author=sammygirly link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=0#2 date=11/03/03 at 13:41:46]Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!!

Actually, the old cartoons are great - but the newer ones leave me missing something.  I probably won't watch this new movie
[/quote]
Well, Sammy, you gotta remember the newer ones are animated beautifully, but directed with less inspiration.
God, I miss Friz Freleung, and Chuck Jones.

H8Monga: [quote author=sammygirly link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=0#2 date=11/03/03 at 13:41:46]Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!!

Actually, the old cartoons are great - but the newer ones leave me missing something.  I probably won't watch this new movie
[/quote]

You're also missing Mel Blanc, the voice of most of the Looney Tunes.  However, I'd like to see how this new movie is. I liked Space Jam.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Noel Blanc has done an admirable job taking over the cartoon vocal effects of his father.

One of my fondest memories of Mel Blanc was when he'd frequently guest on the Jack Benny Show. Mel had been rehearsing a skit and somehow broke his leg, I believe, and Jack introduced him on the show one night to thank him for the 'sacrifice' he put out for the show.

Mel's lines were usually mono-syllabic in his skits. Jack asked Mel if he was doing okay. Mel answered, "Si." When Jack asked him what he was going to do now, Mel responded, "Sue." Jack exclaimed, "Sue?"

Mel answered, "Si."

Pecker

(Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl yore misteaks.)

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Noel Blanc I give you does an admirable job doing Mel's voices. I remember playing an old PS one game 4 yrs ago, and on the credits for Yosemite Sam was Noel's which surprised me
Since Mel's throat was once examined by a doctor and recalled that he'd seen vocal chords like Mel's in an opera singer, I didn't think Noel could do it that good.

Billy West, on the other hand, who replaced Mel for Bugs Bunny is a toss up. He did a good Roger Rabbit, but the immortal B.B?

SPACE JAM was cool though with the live action and animation

tracksuitboy: Chuck Jones and the rest of the Warner animators were geniuses (Mel Blanc too!). Bugs, Daffy and Elmer reign supreme!

H8Monga: Billy West didn't do Roger Rabbit, at least not in the movie. Charles Fleischer was Roger. Billy West was Stimpy and then took over Ren too. And NOOOOO! He's also the voice of Barney the Dinosaur. I liked his characters on Futurama.

wvalady1968: [quote author=tracksuitboy link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=0#10 date=11/03/03 at 22:39:31]Chuck Jones and the rest of the Warner animators were geniuses (Mel Blanc too!).  Bugs, Daffy and Elmer reign supreme![/quote]

Oh, yeah!! My favorite is the cartoon with Bugs and the witch, where she has him trapped in her house and tries repeatedly to get him for her dinner.

In the end, she's tranformed into a gorgeous lady and runs out the door. Then, just before he follows her, he turns, breaks the fourth wall, and says, "Yeah. I know. But ain't they all?"

LMAO! I love that one!!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of my more favorite types of the looney tunes is anytime one of them collides with somthing and you hear a giant GONG noise. They made good use of metallic sound effects in those cartoons, especially when someone gets clunked upside the noodle and you hear a vibrating Clong, or something. :D :D ;D

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Unfortunately, Massive, censorship and political correctness has taken away much of the fun of the old cartoons.  

These days there are so many missing parts that a 6 minute cartoon barely lasts 3 minutes.

If you want to see the cartoons as they were originally released you have to search hard for them.  Many video stores, like Blockbuster, have uncensored collections.

I'm one of those endangered children who grew up seeing Granny stick Sylvester's tail in a light socket, heads crushed (temporarily) between cymbals, dynamite blow characters to kingdom come and even Wile E. Coyote fall from impossible heights - yet I never set any fires or tortured any animals (or people for that matter) or murdered anyone.

Our kids don't know what they're missing.

Pecker

(The rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost luggage.)

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know Pecker, those censors are pretty fickle with their standards in the last decade or so. Example? The Simpsons. Need I say more?

But if you watch SPACE JAM,you'll see a lot of stuff the looney tunes wouldn't even have thought of.
Examples: In one scene, Bug and Daffy are in Michael Jordan's house getting his gear. The conversation turns to merchandising at one point and Daffy Utters, "We gotta get better agents; We're being screwed." In another scene in the Looney Tunes land Baskettball Gym, the conversation is that of how well equipped they are. "We got a court, and we've got balls!" lispes Sylvester, and then MJ replies to the sight of the broken down gym, "You sure have."
I could go on but you get the point.

H8Monga: Do they think kids will contact the Acme company and get explosives or avils? Man parents need to stop being so over-protective especially about shows they themselves grew up watching and they turned out just fine... except they make dumb decisions such as censoring classic cartoons...

ish789: Looney Tunes is the best............

next to Dilbert of course :p