loonier than ever

longtimelurker: Dilbert is classic - the humour is very dry with more than a scraping of sarcasm.

I guess that for a lot of it you need to have some experience of office life.

If you are meaning the TV series rather than the comic strip - I'll have to agree that it is quite bad :( - what happens when you let a one line comic strip get stretched to 30 min!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LTL,

I give you, DILBERT is funny and may someday move onto being a classic, but an immortal classic like The Looney Tunes? Don't hold your breath. ::)

I knew a girl who used gunpowder for makeup; Her complexion was shot to hell :D

gigantikok: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=0#15 date=11/04/03 at 11:02:41]Unfortunately, Massive, censorship and political correctness has taken away much of the fun of the old cartoons. [/quote]
There are some Looney tunes cartoons that still make my jaw drop.  I just watch them and can't believe how different the culture was back in the 40's and 50's.  I have a collection of uncensored cartoons and it seems like they let anything slip through the radar.  What particularly comes to mind is a cartoon where Bugs Bunny is being chased by Elmer Fudd playing like a Mountie or something.  He is chased around in the snow and such.  Well, at the end, Elmers asks Bugs "Do you have any last wishes?" Bugs says,"I wish... I WISH... *music starts* I wish I were in Dixie, hooray, hooray!"  What proceeds is a bizarre dance number in which they all put on black face an play banjos!!!  Man, it's pretty surreal.  Check out the picture:

freshhare.jpg

Another cartoon that is has been banned due to today's standards is a cartoon where Bugs Bunny floats over to Japan in a crate during World War 2 and pretty much kills the entire Japanese Army on his own.  The caricatures and racist comments are outrageous!

And, of course, many violent snippets that are edited out of most of the old cartoons.

God, we live in such a different society, now.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
If you get Boomerang, tune it in!

They're showing nothing but Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies all day!

"H-heaven, I-I'm in H-heaven..."

Pecker

Don't pay $2 to dry-clean a shirt. Donate it to the Salvation Army instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning you can buy it for fifty cents.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=20#22 date=11/06/03 at 23:15:44]
There are some Looney tunes cartoons that still make my jaw drop.  I just watch them and can't believe how different the culture was back in the 40's and 50's.  I have a collection of uncensored cartoons and it seems like they let anything slip through the radar.  What particularly comes to mind is a cartoon where Bugs Bunny is being chased by Elmer Fudd playing like a Mountie or something.  He is chased around in the snow and such.  Well, at the end, Elmers asks Bugs "Do you have any last wishes?" Bugs says,"I wish... I WISH... *music starts* I wish I were in Dixie, hooray, hooray!"  What proceeds is a bizarre dance number in which they all put on black face an play banjos!!!  Man, it's pretty surreal.  Check out the picture:

freshhare.jpg

Another cartoon that is has been banned due to today's standards is a cartoon where Bugs Bunny floats over to Japan in a crate during World War 2 and pretty much kills the entire Japanese Army on his own.  The caricatures and racist comments are outrageous!

And, of course, many violent snippets that are edited out of most of the old cartoons.

God, we live in such a different society, now.[/quote]
Strangely enough Gigantikok, that wasn't the only one that had some of those black overtones. In one other cartoon with Yosemite Sam, bugs tries to get past Sam by impersonating a slave. Then there was a cartoon that was in the planning stages, but never got around to being made calledCoal Black and the Sebben dwarves. I know this because I have a book with sketches of it, and to say the least, was shocked. :eek:

gigantikok: Oh no no, Massive. IT WAS MADE! And you can order it online. It's available in several "uncensored cartoon" DVD anthologies.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I didn't think it was gonna be one of my regular saturday morning cartoon lineups on CARTOON NETWORK, and yeah, I do remember it was made; I thought it wouldn't have been with all the racial overtones, but yeah, you got me, and I probably won't be digging out my American Express Card for it anytime soon. 8)

And I might add, there are also a few cartoons that have various sexual overtones as well like, well you'll have to look to find them, they are there.

tracksuitboy: [quote author=MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=20#27 date=11/08/03 at 19:20:32]Now that I've got everyone's attention, who's your favorite Looney Tune character? 8)[/quote]

Difficult question!  Will you allow a tie between Bugs and Daffy?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Ahem! *adusts tie*

Just have a look at my avatar.

My hero! *clasps hands below chin and sighs*

Pecker

You ain't jutht whithlin' Dixie!

hung9mike: I'd have to vote for Marvin Martian, but I also really like Witch Hazel and Pepe LePew.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I went and saw the movie about a week ago, and let tell you; they NEVER cease to make me laugh. Mind you, some of the classic sound effects were in short supply, but it was nonetheless, a great movie. My only- REAL complaint/criticism was in a scene early on in the movie, before we see Bugs talking to Jenna Elfman's character, we pop over to a scene of all things, a poorly drawn Shaggy and Scooby Doo, chewing out whoever played Shaggy in the Scooby Doo Movie!

Now, I 've been acutely aware that Warner Bros had gotten Hanna Barbera, but to actually have a Hanna Barbera character in a movie clearly named for the Looney Tunes is stupid because they don't belong together, even if they are owned by the same company. :mad:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=20#33 date=11/28/03 at 18:55:03]Now, I 've been acutely aware that Warner Bros had gotten Hanna Barbera, but to actually have a Hanna Barbera character in a movie clearly named for the Looney Tunes is stupid because they don't belong together, even if they are owned by the same company. :mad:[/quote]

That sounds like a silly complaint until you think about it.

Imagine Mickey Mouse & company making a movie with the Muppets. BLECHH! :mad:

Pecker

Go, and never darken my towels again!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pecker, I wouldn't have been so opposed to it, but you gotta remember one thing; Shaggy and Scooby Doo were characters created by Hanna Barbera, not by the Looney Tunes, ergo, they have no place in this movie other than the fact that they're owned by WB.

Inherently, they'd be better off in a movie for themselves.

jerkin4-10: talking about kill the wabbit...i have a song thats some garage band or something that the guy says is 'ozzie fudd'...LOL...singing about kill the wabbit...its really pretty good...and really funny...i have it on musicmatch...if you want some good yucks...email me..and ill send you the file...

im a guitar pwayer...
wabbit swayer...

jerkin4-10: hey chuck...its not MY song...its something i downloaded off the net...my comment IS about a looney toon character...elmer fudd...learn to read...or maybe better comprehend what is written...

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[quote author=jerkin4-10 link=board=99;num=1067894481;start=20#38 date=12/10/03 at 08:39:21]hey chuck...its not MY song...its something i downloaded off the net...my comment IS about a looney toon character...elmer fudd...learn to read...or maybe better comprehend what is written...[/quote]

CLUE TIME!!A little FYI for you jerkin; I can comprehend just fine, and sorry, but your post only about the song only states the surname of a looney tune character, not the forename, so if anything,  the inference of E.F. is only tacit to your post. That being said, I still stand by my reply that this post is only for discussion and appreciation of the Looney Tunes, not for ad space.

Not bad for someone who alledgely needs to learn to read and comprehend what is written, eh?