Lose the Peter Pan Haircut

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Principessa, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Lose the Peter Pan Haircut

If you're old enough to drive, you shouldn't be asking your stylist for bangs.
    -By Katherine Wheelock

Take a cut at the boyish hairdo below.
    http://stylemens.typepad.com/details__thegadabout/images/2007/10/01/haircut.jpg
    Image credit: Photofest

Taking the occasional style cue from guys a decade younger than you isn't the worst idea. It keeps you a safe distance from the threshold of grandpa-dom. Laceless All Stars. Denim jackets. Rugby shirts. A man over 30 can get away with these youthful accents from time to time. What a man over 30—a man over 20—cannot get away with is the most recent trend to emerge from the hallways of American adolescence: side-swept bangs. Zac Efron, 20, the pearly-toothed, sapphire-eyed star of the Disney Channel's High School Musical, is the poster child for the cut. But men like 28-year-old Fall Out Boy Pete Wentz are propagating it too.

"A lot of guys are coming in saying they want bangs," says New York hairstylist Takamichi Saeki, who has a salon in the city's East Village. Thirtysomethings who are in the market for a slightly cool-kid aesthetic are walking into Saeki's place clutching photographs of the Peter Pan cut.

"It's usually banker guys who want to be a little more fashionable," Saeki says. "A lot of them are coming in with pictures of Tom Cruise."

The news that men are visiting their hairstylists armed with pages torn from Us Weekly is disturbing enough. The fact that they're bringing in recent snapshots of Tom Cruise is chilling. Cruise's hairstyle has always been reminiscent of a Lego guy's, but the brow-skimming bangs he's had for the last few months have been for a movie—one set in WWII-era Germany, in which he plays a mutinous Nazi.

This highlights another of the associations pin-straight boy bangs have (besides Jonny Quest, the sixties cartoon hero, the von Trapp boys, and Dorothy Hamill): Hitler. They were as essential to his look as his moustache.

Chances are, the fashion-forward preadolescents who are spurring grown men to ask their barbers for long bangs that sweep across their foreheads and curl out whimsically at the ends haven't connected those dots.

Sally Hershberger, the celebrity coiffeuse who gave Meg Ryan a shag in the nineties—and, much more recently, John Mayer his anti-folksy crop—says she gets requests for the Peter Pan cut all the time. From teenagers.

"All the surfer kids in California started wearing their hair like that about a year ago, with the bangs swept across the forehead," Hershberger says. "It's got a mod, Beatles-esque thing about it."

But just because the cut has a history doesn't mean an adult male can co-opt it with stylish irony, like Prefontaine-style Nikes. Boy bangs aren't a classic. They're the male equivalent of pigtails.

"We picked up my friend's daughter at school the other day. She and her friends wanted me to give her little brother the Zac Efron cut," Hershberger says. "He's 8. He wasn't into it."
    Smart man.

October 01, 2007

2. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's funny how people imitate styles to make them look younger. The hair care and cosmetic industries capitalize on this big time.

Being I'm mostly bald, I don't have many hair options other than to keep it short. Buzz cuts work for me.

3. andysmith

andysmith New Member

That link wouldnt work for me but If am right its that stupid kind swept bowl head look. No one should have that style its effing horrible. To make it worse that constant head spazim to keep it out the eyes is sooo annoying.

No wonder girls are maoning they want their men to be men again

:D

4. snoozan

Gold Member

i like the cut, but generally on younger men. hell, i have that cut. i prefer to the buzzcut jarhead look anyday. maybe we just don't like them as adult women because that's what our fathers had in the 70s and 80s.

5. Steamboy

Steamboy New Member

Albums:
    I never get tired of saying it:

Zak Efron.... EEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

*makes little shudder of grodiness similar to the one made when smooshing a cockroach*

6. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nice 'stache, Snooz. :wink:

- - - - - - -

The article has a valid point, but that is NOT a "new" haircut at all.

Maybe it's new to middle America, but not in Los Angeles -- it was stylish about 5 years ago, and now it's on the way out.

7. Blokeboy

Blokeboy Member

It's not about age, it's about having the face structure to pull it off.

8. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:

Might plug away here, but who wants to look like Emo Philips?

9. Principessa

Gold Member

No, it's about age no male over 16 should sport that wimpy ass emo look. A man of 30, 40, or heaven forbid 60 with bangs looks silly.

10. Steamboy

Steamboy New Member

Albums:

Unfortunately, where I live, this look is on the way in.

I live in Puerto Rico. Two years ago it was the Regeton tight shave, then So You Think You Can Dance became the hot show and we had a summer of the multi-color faux-hawk, and now the swept bangs are the mark of the uber-cool.

We're very impressionable here in PR.

11. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I definitely did that, but it was out of a LACK of a haircut. Eventually it'd just get too long, and being fine and poker straight girl blond, I'd have to flick it out of my face. I've grown out of that as of two months ago; decided to drop the long-haired blonde guitarist stereotype (though it actually got a lot of positive attention from girls, which I thought funny). Does a decent job of hiding a slightly receding hairline, since it's practically a youthful long mild comb(or flick)over. As one of the few long cuts that can do that I can see appeal there.

12. SteveHd

Gold Member

For contrast, there are worse styles, for instance, bald on top and the rest in a ponytail.

13. Steamboy

Steamboy New Member

Albums:
    Yeah, that's not a good look! :eek:

14. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
  15. Steamboy

Steamboy New Member

Albums:
  16. D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

That is a good one. You just want to say...."Let it go, please, let it go."

I always called the Peter Pan style the Page Boy look? Is it the same? Yep, not too many grown men have to face to pull it off.

17. invisibleman

Gold Member

I don't mind that look on men. It is a lot better than a mullet.

18. D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

The mullet is only good if you wear a cowboy hat all the time. LOL
    When the hat comes off....:eek: :eek::eek::eek:

19. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Devin would be pleased.

20. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I thought that you were refering to this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted