Lose the piercing or lose your ear....

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
In a freak mishap yesterday the absess around my conch piercing was half torn from my ear. I went to the emerge today to make sure that an infection didn't insue. The doctor told me remove the piercing, or loose your ear. I told him I'd look into and he got really rude with me, saying he didn't like my answer and to get out of his office, he wrote me a perscription for anti-biotics then documented my actual concern about the absess. Then told me again to leave because I had angered him.. so I left... really pissed off because I sat waiting for 4 hours for that answer.
The doctor then decided to call my parents to "inform them he was concerned". When I got home I got yelled at, and I don't just mean lightly. For the second time today I got the speel about how my parents must have raised us wrong, and how we are so spoiled and we don't listen to anyone.

My dad told me he was going to take me to the body piercers, and have it removed. I'm just pissed because the doctor broke the law, and called my parents.

Let me stress this again for the idots who still think I'm underage... I have had my age verified.. feel free to private message any of the mods on it.. I will be 20 years old on January 26th.. Hence the legality the doctor put himself into by calling my house... I am legally an adult... I will be reporting this doctor for breaking the law....
If you still think I'm underage.. go screw yourself.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd like to contribute something meaningful, but all I can think is... god that sounds painful. Hope you feel better and sort things out with that Dasterdly Doctor Kink.

amiegrrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That blows honey :( I sorry.

So there was already an abcess around the piercing when it got ripped?? OMG that sounds excruciating. I had a situation like that once, (the Dr. contacted my parents and I was over 18) but I never called anyone. I wish now that I had. Good luck, Kink!

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Dam that sounds v nasty TK, & something I can relate to in part, both with the piercing, & medical treatment with a current case I currently have running with the local hospital's Urology dept.

HOWEVER, although I am no doc (Not that I even pretend to be one), it's certainly concerning the approximately of this abscess is as to where your piercing is, & it would be right to question if this piercing is / is not the cause of this abscess, or increasing issues with it.

Having said that, what the Doc has done is broken patient confidentiality, & if the medical laws in Canada are anything like they are in the UK, the doc in question can be heavily fined, possibly loose his job, & even have his medical accreditation revoked, not to mention the possible legal issues he has bestowed upon his department / hospital through his actions.

I would suggest with regard to the doctors actions to A. Put in a written complaint to the department head from where this doctor is from over your treatment, and B. do the same to the hospitals main director / chief executive making sure in BOTH letters you state clearly names, dates, and times to the best of your ability, along with your experiences. Also make sure these are posted, & that you used a "signature required" postal service.

Just hope you can keep calm through all of this & hope you get a better resolution to matters than what I am experiencing right now.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If we grant the remote possibility that this doctor might know what he's talking about, you'd best look after your ear pronto. "Looking into it" may be a bit too leisurely, considering that the injury is now festering. If you don't like what doctors tell you, see a witch doctor. See somebody, and follow his advice. Anything is likely to be better than just letting the wound rot. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that your dreams of revenge are a substitute for useful action. After the medical problem is addressed and the ear is healing, you should have plenty of time to harass the offending doctor.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tink, I am so sorry that this happend and hope that you feel better soon and are able to heal quickly.

I agree completely with stanmarsh14, document everything and send certified or registered letters. What that doctor did wasn't just bad manners it was illegal. You have every right to be outraged, but you have to channel your fury into the appropriate actions right now.

Dam that sounds v nasty TK, & something I can relate to in part, both with the piercing, & medical treatment with a current case I currently have running with the local hospital's Urology dept.

HOWEVER, although I am no doc (Not that I even pretend to be one), it's certainly concerning the approximately of this abscess is as to where your piercing is, & it would be right to question if this piercing is / is not the cause of this abscess, or increasing issues with it.

Having said that, what the Doc has done is broken patient confidentiality, & if the medical laws in Canada are anything like they are in the UK, the doc in question can be heavily fined, possibly loose his job, & even have his medical accreditation revoked, not to mention the possible legal issues he has bestowed upon his department / hospital through his actions.

I would suggest with regard to the doctors actions to A. Put in a written complaint to the department head from where this doctor is from over your treatment, and B. do the same to the hospitals main director / chief executive making sure in BOTH letters you state clearly names, dates, and times to the best of your ability, along with your experiences. Also make sure these are posted, & that you used a "signature required" postal service.

Just hope you can keep calm through all of this & hope you get a better resolution to matters than what I am experiencing right now.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Depends on the jurisdiction.

True, this is the problem not knowing or fully understanding Canadian medical law. Wished I sad something to the Canadian GP I just spoke to some 20 mins a go from here, as he would have been better able to answer this.

However like previousaly mentioned, health comes first & that is what you must deal with first... the complaint over the doc's actions can wait for now.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
If your ear is infected to the point of n abcess and you have a piercing, WHY would you not want it out so it could heal?

The Doctor probably has a better idea about health matters than you do as well as the legal ramifications of his actions. I have an idea that he knows what he can discuss with your parents and what crosses the line of going too far.

Canadian law is different than US law, so he might be able to reveal things like that, expecially since your parents know your ear is infected.

QuiteOne

Sexy Member
Media
With all due respect, you may be turning 20 next January, but you sound like you are 12... and as long as you live under your parents roof, you should respect their authority.

Edit: By the way, you think the doc might actually know what he's talking about? Or in the least, have a better understanding of medicine than you?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Get the ear healed first. Then, see about reporting him.

He may have called your parents because he thinks you don't grasp the severity of the infection. Any infection that is on the head, can go to the brain. A girl here had an infected zit right under her nose. Well, she let it go and kept putting makeup on it and such. The stuff went to her brain.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Doctors are notorious for not knowing how to deal with piercings, many times diagnosing an irritation as an infection and telling the patient to remove the piercing immediately. This can actuallly be worse for the area that's irritated/infected because the surface skin heals first, thereby encapsulating bacteria inside. A lot of times it's much better to treat the irritation or infection with the pierrcing in.

However, I don't know if this applies to TK's case. I would encourage you to first go see the person who gave you the piercing or any other reputable piercer, and then get a second opinion from another doctor. I would do this today. If you're unable to, I'd take the piercing out, let the abscess heal, and maybe try it again once it's completely healed. As far as I know, having had numerous piercings, an abscess is not normal and is not something to be taken lightly. Any infection or irritation, especially in cartilage, is potentially very dangerous.

As far as the doctor goes, check the laws in Canada, and proceed as stanmarsh14 has outlined. But, to echo everyone else here, take care of the health matters first.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did he break the law? You say he called your parents to "inform them he was concerned"; that's not enough to violate doctor-patient confidentiality.

This article seems to say that what the doctor did was, in fact, violating the law. I could be wrong, however.

Confidentiality

If the doctor only said, "I'm concerned about your daughter, please speak with her," that is somewhat of a grey area, I guess (though I'd still be writing letters etc.). But if he at all mentioned her visit, the nature of the visit, the infection, etc. it seems as though he was clearly breaking the law.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know my son's a body piercer TK and he confirms what Snoozan and Kotch both say, infections around piercings are common and it's best to leave the piercing in in most cases as if you take it out the surface heals but the infection carries on festering inside and this can lead to an abscess, however in your case you already have an abscess and he said that this is one of the fairly rare cases where it is better to take the piercing out and treat it as any abscess-antibiotics and allow it to drain.
I'd also make a formal complaint against the doctor, you're an adult and any visit to him should remain confidential.
I think you're going to have to lose the piercing this time, but you know you can have it done at some time in the future when it's well healed.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
What is a conch piercing? That sounds painful all by itself.
Here is a picture of my ear, the conch is the one being pointed to.. yes it hurts getting it done.
If your ear is infected to the point of n abcess and you have a piercing, WHY would you not want it out so it could heal?

The Doctor probably has a better idea about health matters than you do as well as the legal ramifications of his actions. I have an idea that he knows what he can discuss with your parents and what crosses the line of going too far.

Canadian law is different than US law, so he might be able to reveal things like that, expecially since your parents know your ear is infected.
I am allergic to metal, and before you start saying then I shouldn't have piercings in the first place, I'll tell it is my own decision, and all the absess' I've had to date heal, I have bactroban for the area, sea salt soaks for when it gets bad, and Novoclobetasol incase I get a bit of a rash behind my ear.
With all due respect, you may be turning 20 next January, but you sound like you are 12... and as long as you live under your parents roof, you should respect their authority.

Edit: By the way, you think the doc might actually know what he's talking about? Or in the least, have a better understanding of medicine than you?
I think after having 17 (this being my 18th piercing) I am more a professional of my own body.. and my parents have nothing to do with this other than forcing me to get it removed. So take your moot opinion somewhere else.
Get the ear healed first. Then, see about reporting him.

He may have called your parents because he thinks you don't grasp the severity of the infection. Any infection that is on the head, can go to the brain. A girl here had an infected zit right under her nose. Well, she let it go and kept putting makeup on it and such. The stuff went to her brain.
As any person with any type of advanced knowledge of piercings knows that taking out the piercing could be worse than leaving it in. I also don't believe a zit did that to your former story.
Doctors are notorious for not knowing how to deal with piercings, many times diagnosing an irritation as an infection and telling the patient to remove the piercing immediately. This can actuallly be worse for the area that's irritated/infected because the surface skin heals first, thereby encapsulating bacteria inside. A lot of times it's much better to treat the irritation or infection with the pierrcing in.

However, I don't know if this applies to TK's case. I would encourage you to first go see the person who gave you the piercing or any other reputable piercer, and then get a second opinion from another doctor. I would do this today. If you're unable to, I'd take the piercing out, let the abscess heal, and maybe try it again once it's completely healed. As far as I know, having had numerous piercings, an abscess is not normal and is not something to be taken lightly. Any infection or irritation, especially in cartilage, is potentially very dangerous.

As far as the doctor goes, check the laws in Canada, and proceed as stanmarsh14 has outlined. But, to echo everyone else here, take care of the health matters first.
The piercing will be removed via my parents are forcing it no matter what the piercer says... I am fully aware of the let it heal while in rule because I've had this happen once or twice before. I am hoping that some crazy but controllable infection does insue from it being removed so I can further teach the doctor he knows nothing about infection control when it comes to "forign bodies in the body"...
I completely agree, I have/had 22 piercings in total and have had my fair share of infections, an abscess however isn't normal and needs sorting asap. Taking the piercing out is never a good idea for the simple fact that if it isn't ready, it will irritate the area further, and heal around the infection making it 10x worse, just don't try telling the Doc that because he isn't going to listen.

The area should be treated with topical solutions, anti-imflammatories and anti-biotics with the piercing in according to my Doc and Piercer.

I don't know about your laws over there, so I'll not comment
That is exactly what I told him, then he went all bizzaro doctor talk on me.. and I was like ok you still are not listening to what I asked. My concern was not the piercing.. it was the absess.
Did he break the law? You say he called your parents to "inform them he was concerned"; that's not enough to violate doctor-patient confidentiality.
Sure is when he told them I seemed to stuborn to listen, and what happened, and that I will loose my ear if it doesn't come out.. he told them everything.. and now they are dead stuck on thinking I'm going to loose my ear, and will not listen to the logic I have placed in front of them as per what Snoozan, and Kotch have outlined.
This article seems to say that what the doctor did was, in fact, violating the law. I could be wrong, however.

Confidentiality

If the doctor only said, "I'm concerned about your daughter, please speak with her," that is somewhat of a grey area, I guess (though I'd still be writing letters etc.). But if he at all mentioned her visit, the nature of the visit, the infection, etc. it seems as though he was clearly breaking the law.
He told them everything so yes, he broke the law.
You know my son's a body piercer TK and he confirms what Snoozan and Kotch both say, infections around piercings are common and it's best to leave the piercing in in most cases as if you take it out the surface heals but the infection carries on festering inside and this can lead to an abscess, however in your case you already have an abscess and he said that this is one of the fairly rare cases where it is better to take the piercing out and treat it as any abscess-antibiotics and allow it to drain.
I'd also make a formal complaint against the doctor, you're an adult and any visit to him should remain confidential.
I think you're going to have to lose the piercing this time, but you know you can have it done at some time in the future when it's well healed.
I had went there to have it drained.. because it was doing so on it's own, and I just wanted to speed the process, he didn't even mention drianing it, told my parents he could have removed the piercing there, which he didn't tell me, and I left pissed off and without the treatment I wanted.. which was a drained of the fluid in the absess to shrink the absess so I could more easily deal with an infection if one arrose.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Have you tried PTFE bars/rings TK, they don't come in as wide a variety but there are a few passably pretty ones out there. You shouldn't have a problem with those and you could use them for everyday and just use metal ones for short periods of time on special occasions.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Yes, ignore the ear that can wait, look into getting revenge against this doctor right away for tattling on you. That sounds like the intelligent and mature thing to do.
The highest professional body piercer in my town isn't in till wednesday... we already know what an Emergency doctor thinks, I might try and get an appointment with my family doctor to have it lanced like I asked for originally. Like I said, I am not worried about my ear... simply because this is nothing new, other than some slight pussing. It's coated in Bactroban right now anyhow...