Losing some weight...

Vezzam

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So I really want to lose weight. I've been overweight since about 5th grade I guess, not huge, but chunky enough to be self concious. I don't think I'd feel so bad about it if my man tits weren't so huge but that's where a lot of my fat is. I've had stretch marks since halfway through 10th grade (some from getting fatter, some from growing - have some on my shoulder?)

Anyways, I'm going to start running at least every other day and hopefully going to work out to get some definition going.

Basically, I'm just wondering what I can do to "jumpstart" my metabolism. What I can eat or do the first few weeks to really get it going?
Any tips/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try drinking green tea everyday. Drink a hot cup after/ with every meal. Green tea helps boost your metabolism.
When not drinking green tea, (and it has to be green tea, not any other) drink water. Perfeably filtered or bottle. Never drink tap water.

Some experts say to eat smaller meals, but more frequent meal. This makes your body a furnace and is always burning calories. The problem is that eating 6 meals a day is not practical for most peoples' schedules.

So use common sense. 3 meals a day should be fine. You dont have to count calories, but know, that the only way to get rid of fat is to make the body use it or burn it. That means that you cannot eat more calories a day than your body is burning. You have to create a deficit of sorts. So, a little dicpline is in order. Do you really need that dessert. Want something sweet after your meal? Chew sugarless gum.

Exercise forces you to burn more calories because you are using more enegry.
And, just know that this all takes time. Learn to measure your progress in weeks and months, not days. Besides, you do not want to lose weight too quickly either or you get loose skin. The dirty little secret doctors dont tell you when getting a gastric bypass surgery.

Oh, and you are allowed a cheat day. Once a week, (most people do this on Sunday), eat whatever you like. Dont over do it either. This takes the edge off all the sacrifice you make during the week. The last thing you want is stress. Stress keeps you fat.

Get plenty of rest and you should be OK.

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Eat lots of fruit and veggies, do a lot of cardio, and drink lots of water. I also recommend doing a colon cleanse type thing too. It's supposed to be really good for you, and it helps you lost a lot of bad weight hat your body carries. About 4 years ago, I was 5'6, and 160lbs, and just a little chubby, but now I'm 5'10, and 112lbs. Now, I know that sounds scary skinny, but I'm not, I'm perfectly healthy, and I do cardio exercises everyday.

bigguy4u

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
what are your current stats? first off you should be drinking nothing but water. in order to keep your metabolism going throughout the day. You should eat about 6 small meals per day about 2-3 hours apart. I know its not easy but it can be something small like an apple or some carrots. Breakfast is a must and lunch should be the biggest meal of the day. Dinner should be mostly proteins with very few carbs. Dont worry to much about counting calories but be aware of your surgar and carbo intake and drink as much water as possible to help you stay full. the biggest problem is going to be portion control, you can eat just about anything it's just knowing when to stop that gets us into trouble. if you have any specific questions feel free to message me. I too have battled with weight issues in my earlier years and have finally got things under control. It took a lot of will power and motivation from friends and family especially my parents, Dads a MD and Moms a nutrionist. People didnt understand how I came to be. This should go without saying but excercise is very important.

whattheduck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
plenty of water, as has been said.
ALWAYS eat a healthy balanced breakfast. it gets your metabolism going to easier burn and metabolize what you eat the rest of the day.
to lose body fat, cardio is the best thing to do, especially if you want to whittle away your midsection, but if you want to work on your man-boob situation, the best thing to do is things like butterflies, pushup, pullups and other arm exercises. doing crunches on a machine, lying on the floor or on an excercise ball helps too.
make sure you keep at it, and when you want to give up, DON'T! remember how good you will look and feel at the end of it. also, everyone reaches plateaus where you dont lose much weight but just remember that those go away and it should give you more motivation to work harder. losing weight (i lost 30 pounds a few years back) is a long process but it's a worthwhile one. good luck!

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
2 things.
To kick in your muscle building, work out your legs. Once you really work on them the other muscles respond quicker.

Also, for eating look into " Fit For Life"
Amazon.com: Fit for Life: Harvey Diamond, Marilyn Diamond, Kay S. Lawerence: Books
eat all the fruit and vegies you want.
fruit for breakfast, complex carbs for daily energy and proteins for after working out or at the start of your rest periods.

Good luck,
It works for me and has for many years.
M*

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There is nothing you can do to jumpstart your metabolism.

Metabolic 'theories' of weight loss or gain are bullshit.
You lose weight when you burn more calories than you eat.
Period.

Now you can try to exercise heavily to increase the number of calories you burn... but that is something you are doing excessively in order to support a number of calories you would not otherwise need.

Exercise focused weight loss is always doomed to fail because, sooner or later, you will have an injury, an illness, or lifestyle upheaval that will interrupt your exercise regimen... yet you will keep eating like someone who is exercising... and the sudden weight gain will be demoralizing and complicate your getting back into exercise...

Exercise is good for you for lots of things... but for weight loss or management, its just an excuse to keep eating more...

Recognize that even marathon runners still burn 85% of all calories at rest.

So first and foremost... STOP with the eating. You can live fine on 1200 calories a day... even less if you are over 50.
There is nothing wrong with getting exercise, but do not kid yourself... do not adopt an excessive regimen that you will never be able to realistically sustain.

Try making exercise something non-extraordinary... for example, take an apartment 1 mile from work and walk to and from work each day...
Or bike 5 miles... The more incidental the exercise to your daily life, the more likely you will be to keep it up.

Get USED to the sensation of feeling empty... hollow light and airy. Learn to like it.
Cut out all snacking and entire meals if necessary until you see results.

And KEEP it that way... change one small thing at a time... like, give up all chips... and wait until that is just a habit of thought and action and then pick the next unnecessary food to give up.

That all being said, since most calories are burned at rest, you CAN do something to increase that burn incrementally that can yield big results.
You burn more calories per minute SITTING in an unheated pool than you do climbing flights of stairs... because water carries heat away 9 times faster than air and your body is trying to maintain temperature.

So, keeping your house a little on the cold side, and under-dressing a little will actually burn more calories.
An hours' exercise in a pool burns more calories than an hours exercise in air.

If you work at a desk, switch to a standing desk... you body evolved able to stand nearly all day long... and that burns more energy than sitting all day...

Again... incorporate a higher caloric burn into your life in a way that is low impact, and not excessive... so that you can sustain it.

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
wow...all good thoughts....i want to encourage the OP...moderation is your friend...always have a bite of things...even the bad/good things...just stop after a very small amount..it all taste the same...whether u eat a plate full or mouthful...put a picture of yourself on every mirro in the house and on fridge...change the photo often...you can do this...i am 5 10...1 yr ago i was 210....started having health issues...diet excersize i am now 175...feels wonderful am never going back...never..a 36 inch waist is a wonderful thing that i had not had in years....GOOD LUCK...you can do it....do not give up!!!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
forget everything you read here and consult a nutritionist or similarly trained person.

Yeah--- PAY someone to tell you to eat less food.

Pay someone to tell you that a pork rind only diet is a bad idea.

Yes, losing weight is so mystifying that only an expert who charges you money could possibly advise you...

And for god's sake, don't dare try to operate the oven in your own home... hire a chef.

And make sure to hire a qualified landscape worker to mow your lawn.

ericbythebay

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There is no trick to weight loss, to lose weight, your body must burn more calories than you take in.

Depending on your age and physical health, you may want to consult with a medical professional before starting a diet.

I was visiting my parents for a month and went on a carb controlled (Atkins) diet, just because my Dad was starting his diet for medical reasons and it was easier to eat what he was eating than to prepare something separate. I haven't put much stock in fad diets, but the doctors at Mayo Clinic were the ones that told my Dad to go on a carb controlled diet.

I'm 5'7" and was weighing 156. After two weeks on the diet, I lost 12 lbs. Three months later and I'm still on the diet and I am now down to 125lbs, what I weighed my junior year of high school.

Drink Plenty of water,
walking and regular exercise are necessary to loose weight......

patrick9999

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
2 things.
To kick in your muscle building, work out your legs. Once you really work on them the other muscles respond quicker.

Also, for eating look into " Fit For Life"
Amazon.com: Fit for Life: Harvey Diamond, Marilyn Diamond, Kay S. Lawerence: Books
eat all the fruit and vegies you want.
fruit for breakfast, complex carbs for daily energy and proteins for after working out or at the start of your rest periods.

Good luck,
It works for me and has for many years.
M*

OP, you may want to consider this guys advice 'cause as 52 y/o he looks pretty damn good - IMO - and has the pics to prove it.

Good luck with getting rid of your moobs.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not quite as simple as calories in must be less than calories out. Because the body has starvation-survival modes that might kick in if you just diet. Getting more exercise is important, even if it is only walking.

My sister is losing weight gradually by moderate portion control and walking to the shops a few times a week instead of driving once.

I weight-train regularly and can eat as much as I like.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's not quite as simple as calories in must be less than calories out. Because the body has starvation-survival modes that might kick in if you just diet. Getting more exercise is important, even if it is only walking.

This is mythology.
Zero evidence for such a thing.

Here's why. If you are fat, you can not go into "starvation mode." Fat is food reserves. If you eat fewer calories than your body requires for a given expenditure of effort, it will smoothly switch to burning pure fat.
And you can live perfectly well on pure fat.

In healthy normal people organ function is not really impacted until you have nearly no fat left, and your body must switch to metabolizing muscle tissue.

Either way, trust me... if you stop eating... you will continuously lose weight until you die. No "starvation mode" will slow the loss.
Look at the slave laborers who were underfed and overworked to death in the nazi death camps.

Without food, and without being forced to keep a high level of physical effort... what happens is that starving people naturally stop expending energy... and that lowers their caloric burn. Lay in bed hunger striking, and yes, the rate at which you lose weight will slow compared to a person who is being forced to assemble munitions all day.

People who are still eating daily, but eating significantly fewer calories than they burn, will lose weight at the proportion of that underfeeding to the amount required by whatever weight they currently are.

If you are fat enough to require 2500 calories but only eat 1500, you will burn 1000 calories a day of fat.

However, as you get thinner you need fewer calories to support that weight. When you get to the point where 1800 calories/day would keep you at your thinner weight, and you are still dieting at 1500 per day... you will at that point only be burning 300 calories per day of fat.

That- and reduced activity, is why the rate of loss seems to taper off... not any mythical starvation mode.

But it is important to note that ALL diets ultimately fail. Because they are viewed as temporary... you PLAN to someday no longer be 'dieting'...

The most critical thing is to get it thru your skull that you are talking about a permanent change in behavior.
The folks who keep looking fine well into middle age are the ones who LIVE with less food, rather than the ones who are implementing 'diet plans' as needed.

Look at your life and make a choice.
You really love that chip and dip enough to accept the man boobs?
You really gotta drink that much beer to deal with your day?

No one ever died from chip or beer deficiency.

One day I looked in the mirror and simply decided that no 'snack', no 'meal' was worth having to look like that... no 'treat' was worth having to hold my breath to tie my shoe.
I still ate the healthy food my wife cooked for dinner- and plenty of it... but I stopped with all the other snacking and lunching thru the day... I stopped raiding the fridge for the leftovers from dinner.

In 3 months I dropped 40 pounds.

And you know what? Not once was I ever truly hungry... By belly was mostly empty... but that is not the same thing as feeling weak from hunger.
Why? because my body was living off of pure lard. Like eating just the fat offa thick steak for every meal.

Other benefits? I no longer have GIRD... turns out a huge contributor to GIRD is the fact that you have FOOD in your stomach all damn day long.

Your GI tract actually runs a LOT smoother and a lot better with some air space between meals.

I weight-train regularly and can eat as much as I like.
That will change. Not only the amount of exercise, but as you age you will require fewer calories to maintain the same weight ( fewer cells operating at full function )
People who do not gradually reduce their food intake as they age will get steadily heavier.

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
flip a coin

heads = for a day in calories equal to your current weight x 10
ie: 240lbs x 10 = 2400 calories

tails = same as above minus 20%.
ie: 240lbs x 10 = 2400 - 480 = 1920 calories

just try getting that many calories from fruit and veggies.

Attachments

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
All good info... but don't forget the ole "hide the salami" exercise as much as possible... talk about a caloric burn workout... uz