Losing Weight..Need Help

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_officeflop, Dec 30, 2007.

1. D_officeflop

D_officeflop Account Disabled

Hello everyone,

Ive been putting this off for years and ive decided 2008 is going to be MY year and im going to be a changed man come Christmas 2008.
    The way i plan on doing this is losing alot of weight, toning up and getting my fitness levels up high.

My current statistics are im 22 years old, 6ft tall and weigh around 20stone (280lbs).
    I think the average weight of someone my age is around 14stone(196lbs).
    Because i dont want to get skinny or anything, when i lose weight..i want to keep a sort of muscly and toned look.

So in that, i need to lose 6 stone (84lbs). I think thats very achievable in a year.

The plan im going to follow is eating my 5 a day of fruit and eat more vegtables, eat more fish, eat my reccomended meat, drink 2 litres of water a day and cut out sweets/junk food completly.
    But also to follow also with that regime, im going to go to the local gym everynight after gym. But i know some people say dont go to the gym everynight.. but what im going to do is one night go weights and the next night do cardio and then switch it about.

If theres anyone at LPSG who can feel they can help me in anyway, please leave a reply or even message me privately.

Thanks very much LPSG.

2. Roscoz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey fellow scot haha

You first need to detox, i did this by drinking only water and eating fruit and nothing but fruit during the day and then a proper meal at night. Its hell for the first week but then you get used to it. I love 3 stone doing this over the space of a year. I'm now 11.5 stone.

3. D_officeflop

thanks dude,
    so let me get this right...ONLY eat fruit and ONLY drink water all through the day but at night then have an actual meal with real food :p
    Should i do that for a year or a certain amount of time?

4. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    Best Wishes on your weight loss. I have found walking to be most effective for me to lose weight. Also it is not as stressful on joints. I lost 90 lbs after having my son, just walking for 5 months.

Do your best to eat healthier and getting rid of empty calories in your diet.

5. Roscoz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah its how i started sometimes i swayed off it but almost all off the time i stucj to it, eat plenty of bananas there full of enery. So in the morning i ate a banana or two and luch two pieces off fruit ... no snacking and at night a proper meal, your body gets used to it cos i see eating as a snack. Drink plenty off water about 2 litres a day, i drink a litre at lunch time, this keeps you moving.

If i actually have a sandwich or something at lunchtime it slows me down now and i feel tired, its too wierd.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I just lost 30 pounds........my method, hernia surgery on october 5th and reconstructive surgery of my shoulder on October 29th,.......I ouldn't reccommend it!LOL.......I'm enjoying outting the 30 pounds back on

7. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    My best advice -- stay away from dairy and meat. I only eat fish now and again. (I'm a vegetarian/macrobiotic with a love of hot, spicy food!)

8. naughty

Gold Member

Hi Dan,

It sounds like you have been given some really great advice. Diets come and go but there are a few constants, a lowering of your caloric intake and exercise. The detox does sound like a great start and it will kickstart your weight loss. Next try one of the many online programs like Biggest Loser, Weight watchers, Abs Diet Online, Prevention, any one of these can help you to create your weight loss program. Remember this is going to be a lifestyle change not a diet. All of these programs help you recalibrate your way of eating. THere are many members here who are either on their way to their new body or working to maintain it. It is so easy to gain and a mystery as to how to lose it. Also thatgal's suggestion for walking is a great one. That can be your aerobic portion of your fitness program.THe Abs diet or Biggest loser can tell you about exercises to accompany your change in diet. Best of luck to you. I would tell you some other members to contact but I will contact them first and tell them to talk with you. We have so real success stories and some in the making here.

Naughty

9. bottombuddy

bottombuddy Member

HI DAN.

THE QUICKEST WAY I EVER LOST WEIGHT WAS WORKING FOR ROYAL MAIL.......HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW MAY POSTMEN ARE OVERWEIGHT?...ALMOST ZERO UNLESS THEYRE VAN DRIVERS,ETC.

I WAS 13.5 STONE BACK IN APRIL 07.HEAVIEST IVE EVER BEEN SO I DECIDED TO STOP DRINKING FIZZY DRINKS LIKE IRN BRU AND I CUT OUT ALL BISCUITS,CAKES OR CHOCOLATE BARS....IVE ALSO INCREASED FRUIT INTAKE AS SNACKS,ETC AND DRINK PLENTY BOTTLED WATER (TAP WATER MAKES FOLK ILL WITH CHEMICALS IN IT)

I NOW WEIGHT 11 STONE WHICH IS WHERE I WANT TO BE....IM A NICE SWIMMERS BUILD AND DONT WANT TO BE THINNER.CHECK MY PCS AND YOULL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

IF YOUR LOOSING WEIGHT MAKE IT A LONG TERM THING AND STICK TO IT.....I THINK THE PROB WITH MOST LARGER FOLKS IS THAT WHEN THEY GET SO MUCH OFF THEY FALL BACK INTO EATING ALL WRONG STUFF AND THEY BACK TO WHERE THEY WERE.

I HAVE CHOCOLATE NOW AND AGAIN BUT NOT LIKE I USED TO BUT STILL OFF FIZZY DRINKS-CANT STAND TASTE OF THEM NOW-FAR TOO MUCH SUGAR IN THEM.

GOOD LUCK FOR 2008 DAN AND BEST WISHES TOO.

10. Wrat

Wrat New Member

Albums:
    As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
    The best way to do this is to plan your meals. Know in advance what you will eat through the entire day and don't eat on impulse. Once you do this your plan will have meaning and you can achieve some kind of results. Normal people can't monitor a sensible diet and eat at will during the day.
    Good luck.

11. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    The hard part is realising just what has exessive fats and sugars in. Most food you buy off the shelf are just loaded in one or the other and occassionally both.

Really the only way i found is to be really quite harsh and say if its processed shit, i mustn't eat it and cook or make what you eat from fresh.

Not easy and to make it harder, your body will crave the shit you cut out for up to 3 weeks, breaking that barrier is the first hurdle.

You have set yourself a tall order and i wish you the best of luck and want you to know, i will be joining you too. Xmas has left me a fat pup and really must slim down now or i fear im never bloody going to.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do your cardio on an empty stomach. You'll burn fat instead of what's in your belly. Before breakfast is good- you'll get an endorphine rush and raise your metabolism for the rest of the day.

13. D_officeflop

Ive listened to what everyone has said in the replies and ive made up a new plan based on this.
    I will follow the detox plan and this is what a daily regime will consist of for me from now on:

Breakfast - 2 pieces of fruit and some water
    Lunch - 2 pieces of fruit and a litre of water
    Dinner - an actual meal, swapping it between meat, fish and pasta etc with some water.

Exercises - An hour/an hour and a half in the gym straight after work (on an empty stomach), then go home and have dinner and then go for a 30min walk at nighttime.

If i follow this regime everyday, i dont see the weight loss and lifestyle being a problem as i have very high will power.

Also with the walking at nighttime, im going to build myself up and mould that into an hours jog at nighttime once i get a bit fitter and can handle it.

Does this plan sound perfect to everyone else?

14. naughty

Gold Member

NO! Dan, the fruit thing was only to detox for about a week. Your body needs more calories than you are proposing to give it. YOu should break your meals down in to 5 or 6 small ones. Also you shouldnt come up with something this extreme for an ongoing regimen because you willl not be able to sustain and will find yourself cheating. Google some of the programs and look at their sample menus. Good luck

15. oneguy67

oneguy67 New Member

I'm in the same boat as you, Dan, and 2008 is going to be my year too.

Whatever the final incarnation of your plan, just be sure to realize that you will go off the plan every so often: things will come up that will interrupt your plan. Just keep going back to it with every deviation, and you will come out a winner next year at this time.

That's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it. :) Good luck, and I'd love to hear about your progress!

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

There is no 'perfect plan'. You're a big guy, I mean aside from the excess weight, and I worry that 2 pieces of fruit for breakfast and again at lunch is going to leave you low energy and not do you any favours. By all means try it but be aware you may actually need to up the pre-dinner food intake. Have you the opportunity to consult with a dietician or nutritionist? If you do, take it.

I don't do diets often but I find when I do that completely swearing off all desserts/[insert favourite bad for you food here] is pointless. I tend to do better allowing myself one thing one day a week. It's much easier to ignore the nice things in the shop / cafeteria / restaurant every day if you know that come Sunday (for example) you can have a banana split or whatever your poison is. That's just how my willpower works, YMMV.

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dan! Don't do weight work work on an empty stomach! Just try to do the cardio part on an empty stomach. Naughty is dead on about the 5 or 6 small meals per day. 1 hr in the gym is about right... no more. And start slowly, don't try to do too much at once... you have a whole year to reform your body... slow and steady wins this race. The night time walk is great.

18. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Very true.

The problem I have is that I really, really do NOT like to cook, and will not sustain any kind of diet or "change in eating" that involves cooking meals. I'm thinking about going on the "no cook diet". Yeah, it's a lot of processed stuff and probably not the best for me, but until I can afford a private chef or get me a guy who likes to cook and is health-conscious, that'll have to do.

I like to exercise though, although I'm a social exerciser and can't really motivate myself so much when I'm alone (which is most of the time). Again, I can't afford to join a gym and take classes, and the clubs I'm in have hikes and stuff but they are mostly fast paced and advanced, and way above my fitness level. I'm not in the worst shape or anything, but most of the people I know are very athletic and have been doing this stuff for years. The other people I know are disabled and can't walk very far at all because of chronic pain and just no stamina. I'm in between those two extremes. Unfortunately I missed my walk this morning (it was to be a non advanced one, too!) because I once again have my days and nights mixed up, and didn't get up in time.

19. naughty

Gold Member

Dan,

YOU also want your weight loss to be slow and steady. If you try to lose too much too soon you will have a lot of loose skin hanging that you will not find very attractive. Luckily you are young and may be able to slowly shrink your belly back into shape but not if you try to do this too fast. It didnt get there over night and wont leave over night either.

20. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

bro get active and stay active!Once you begin you'll find that fitness is habitforming.

Draft saved Draft deleted