Lossless JPG Resizing?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Hi. Just wondering if there's a program that can resize JPG's without loss of quality, preferably in batch.

I've tried a few programs but there is always loss. In Word I can resize them one at a time with no loss but there are 300+ photos that need to be resized.

Why is Word lossless but other programs lose quality? I read around the subject and its something to do with a program decompressing then recompressing the file or something.

Anyone know if there's a program that can resize a JPG (make it smaller) without loss of quality? Thanks!

2. Horny Alex

Horny Alex New Member

Hello ScaredLB,

Yes, there is a program that worksd quite well for size reduction called Jpegsizer6. You can try it free for a short period. I forget what it costs, ut it is certainly useful when editing photos for web sites and other projects.

Cheers, Horny Alex

3. mindseye

Gold Member

When you say "resize", do you mean altering the length and width of the image, or do you mean compressing the file size without altering the image?

If you're reducing the length and width of the image, then per se you're lowering the quality of the image, since you're reducing the amount of information that's retained. (What Word does, by the way, is a cheat: it stores the full-sized image, but displays a reduced-size image, so that you can "regain" the quality when you enlarge a previously-reduced image.)

If you're looking to reduce the size of the file, JPEG compression is already lossy, and isn't a good choice if you're looking to maintain image quality -- PNG or TIFF would be better choices.

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

I mean the actual length and width. I edit the resolution to reduce the filesize in another program but can't find one to reduce the length and width dimensions (without making it slightly blurry).

Really they should be kept as JPG. There are loads of photos. I'll try that thing Alex suggested.

5. radicaldick

radicaldick New Member

if u are just talking about resizing the pic, it should look fine at the new size. if u try to make it bigger after resizing it (smaller) then it will always look jaggy and blurry.
    When resizing a photo, the resulting image size in pixels is smaller, but the quality will be the same at the new size.
    When compressing a jpg, the image size is preserved, but you get a smaller file size in kilobytes by losing information (quality).

6. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Hmm. Its fiddly and hard to work with. I want something like:

http://www.fotosizer.com/Default.aspx

Easy interface, that looks in folders and subfolders. Only with a more accurate/less blurred resize.

7. SteveHd

Gold Member

Adding to what mindseye wrote, PNG or TIFF are good choices for intermediate works. Say you're going to do multiple edits to a pic spread over time. Each time it's saved/reread in those formats, no detail is lost. Then once it's final, save it as JPEG.

GIF (not recommended), PNG, and TIFF are known as "lossless" for a reason. Each time a JPEG file is opened and saved some detail is lost. That's an unavoidable thing.

The app I use for batch work is CompuPic but I won't recommend it because the vendor quit developing new versions several years ago and there wasn't good support even when it was active.

8. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Radical: Yeah it does if you do it one at a time, the smaller result is practically lossless. But I don't want to have to do hundreds one at a time :tongue:

I think its something to do with the methods/algorithms in the batch programs.

9. indeed

indeed Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Try irfanview

Its amazing.
    You can rezise without noticable loss or just lower the size of the image without resize loss. It works by coloursampling the image, but in a pro way. All my images have been irfanviewed to 70% quality and no resize, lpsg does that tho >.<
    When you start the program, press b on the keyboard to open the batch mode. I use this for everything

10. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    I use a program call ThumbsPlus from Cerious Software, you can pick the quality of the Jpeg and it will do batch work also. You can try it for free for a while, it is also a good organizer. Cerious Software - The Home of ThumbsPlus!

11. SteveHd

Gold Member

I forgot to mention CompuPic has a "batch" option so, no, I didn't mean doing each one-at-a-time.

12. indeed

indeed Well-Known Member

Albums:
    irfanview is free tho, so no "wee while" about this one :D All good programs are free

13. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just make sure that you watch the pixels pre inch when you are reducing the width and length, if it is too low, then your pics will come out blurry and shitty when you re-size them, you probably will need a program that can manage the pixels per square inch like Photoshop or any of the other photo editors... I have no idea if these little re-sizing programs can do that, I know that MSPaint cannot...

14. B_btrelll

B_btrelll New Member

You h[SIZE=-1]ave m[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]an boobs![/SIZE]

15. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Have a look at Tucows. It's full of freeware and shareware that may meet your needs.

You may wish to download a bunch of freebie files and try each one until you find the one that fits your needs.

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's time to bring out The Gimp.

17. SteveHd

Gold Member

Umm, HG, the batch mode appears to be command-line driven. For you or I, that's not a problem but it might be for others.

It looks very good overall. The Window screenshots were in German though. I like multi-platform apps.

Draft saved Draft deleted