Lou Reed Dead at 71

mallak

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I hope Laurie Anderson and the rest of his family are okay, my heart goes out to them.

Poor ol Lou.

Love a bit of Velv, meself. One last Walk on the Wild Side, Lou - one last Perfect Day. :)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am simply at a loss for words as i sit with tears in my eyes, Thank you Lou for all the amazing music

My sentiments exactly, I could not even bring myself to start a thread, I've been listening to his music for the last three days and remembering all the parts of my life that were part of that era and how his music and message played a part of it somehow.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is indeed sad. Like I wrote in another thread, the saddest thing is almost that he lived just long enough to make one of the worst records in recent years.

Like so many other of the greats, he should have called it a day many years ago. But who cares about his bad records, when he made such masterpieces as Velvet Underground & Nico and White Light/White Heat. Surely some of the most important records in history. Almost all the music I love points back to Velvet Underground in some way or another.

mallak

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is indeed sad. Like I wrote in another thread, the saddest thing is almost that he lived just long enough to make one of the worst records in recent years.

Like so many other of the greats, he should have called it a day many years ago. But who cares about his bad records, when he made such masterpieces as Velvet Underground & Nico and White Light/White Heat. Surely some of the most important records in history. Almost all the music I love points back to Velvet Underground in some way or another.

I think you must be referring to the Metallica record. I never would have imagined those two artists collaborating together, but even in that I admire Reed's unpredictability, a quality that is very rare these days.

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you must be referring to the Metallica record. I never would have imagined those two artists collaborating together, but even in that I admire Reed's unpredictability, a quality that is very rare these days.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I don't really think unpredictability is something to be admired in itself. But yes, it was unpredictable and brave to hook up with a band that's way past its prime (the same could be said for Metallica, by the way, if you replace "band" with "man"), but unfortunately also unwise, the final product taken into consideration. It would also have been unpredictable had he chosen a collaboration with Milli Vanilli or UB40, but I'm not quite sure I'd like to hear the outcome of such collaboration either.

No disrespect to Lou, though. I love him regardless. But mostly for his involvement in Velvet Underground.

mallak

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I don't really think unpredictability is something to be admired in itself. But yes, it was unpredictable and brave to hook up with a band that's way past its prime (the same could be said for Metallica, by the way, if you replace "band" with "man"), but unfortunately also unwise, the final product taken into consideration. It would also have been unpredictable had he chosen a collaboration with Milli Vanilli or UB40, but I'm not quite sure I'd like to hear the outcome of such collaboration either.

No disrespect to Lou, though. I love him regardless. But mostly for his involvement in Velvet Underground.

Yes, I agree, after all the amazing legendary things he's done he had definitely earned the right to do some crap stuff just for fun, if he so desired

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
prefer to accept all of a celebrities actions, than over analyze his/her every movement, incl being a performer at whatever age they chose to continue, or there drug taking/or not etc
its there life, and the enjoyment they have shared is inestimable.
Cliff Richard or Neil Diamond fr eg
clean as a whistle guys, still performing, perfectly acceptable, as was Lou

RIP!

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Never said it's unacceptable. I just said the outcome was horrendous. Of course he had every right to do whatever he wanted, no matter his age. This goes for everyone. I can just stop listening to the results and there you go.

I just think his magnificent oeuvre deserved a more suiting swan song.