Louisiana

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by EllieP, Oct 13, 2009.

1. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, so we just spent a wild, wet and muddy weekend in Louisiana. Cap was invited to play at something called the Festival Acadians and Creole in Lafayette, which is around Baton Rouge.

When we got there it had just finished raining and the grounds were muddy. This festival is held in a huge city park with a number of stages where the bands play. It was mostly Cajun music, but a friend asked Cap to play a session on Saturday and Sunday. Of course, I went with him, but when I saw how wet it was I thought well, they'll call it off or nobody will come. Boy, was I wrong! Those people are crazy! They danced and drank all day long even in the pouring rain! If their shoes got too muddy they kicked them off and danced in bare feet!

I danced so much until my hips are sore. It didn't matter if Cap was playing or not, so many men asked me to dance, and boy, can they dance! Their accents are sexy as hell, too. A lot of them speak French.

OK, here's what might be going down: Cap got very popular there and when the festival closed for the day he would play in bars at night. And I mean bars, like move from one to the other. He loved it and he told everybody how much he loved it. They apparently loved him too because he got a number of offers to move to Louisiana and play and record.

Now I loved it too, but I don't know how much I'd love it if I wasn't dancing all the time. I did see the countryside a little bit and the food is awesome. But that's all I know. Cap is seriously considering moving. Lafayette is about twice the size of Gainesville, FL where we are now.

So if any of you are from around that area could you let me know some things I should know and ask. I'm a house designer and do a lot of freelance work, so I'm hoping to get some work there.

The economy there can't be worse than Gainesville right now, right? We don't have any school age children, so that's not an issue. I know the people are very friendly, but are they good neighbors?

We're not making a decision right away, and will probably go visit some more. Cap's been invited to a few other festivals (how many festivals do they have?) so we'll get an opportunity to learn a little bit more.

Anything you can share would be appreciated.

Ellie

2. Polinikes

Polinikes New Member

I lived in Lafayette from the age of 12-18 (I'm 20 now. Moved to New Orleans for school)

It's an okay place to live, although it can be a bit boring at times, especially in high school. It's a nice city, but the Vermillion River bisects the city, and there are only three bridges across the river, so it can be weird to get across town at times, and the traffic in the afternoon is horrible because a lot of people have to take the same route home.

I can't speak for certain on how the economy is doing there. A lot of it is oil-based, so there hasn't really been a big shift from what I've seen.

I don't know how much work there is for house designing... I assume you mean interior design. There is an area of town called River Ranch that you should check out if you get the chance. It's a lot of higher priced homes, but its a very new neighborhood, so it's mostly young professionals who over-paid for their houses. There were a good number of foreclosures there, so there may be an influx of people moving in, allowing for work for you.

The suburbs situation is a bit strange, because there are lots of smaller towns outside of Lafayette, but they haven't really meshed into one big metropolis yet.

You'd be about two and a quarter hours from New Orleans, if that influences your decision at all :tongue:

The big festival is in April, if you want to wait until then. It's called Festival Internationale, and it's probably the biggest every year, but I don't know if artists from the United States get invited very often.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. I think I'd see the city from a slightly different perspective than you, but I still know a good deal about it.

3. breeze

breeze Member

I know it gets hot in florida in the summer but i don't know how hot or whether it is a dry heat. I've been in baton rouge near the end of summer and it is a searing humid heat that is staggering. I tried to walk one block back to my motel room and basically couldn't move halfway. I don't know how i made it.
    There are definitely traces or more than traces of the klan and for lack of a better word rednecks. That may or may not agree with you. That mentality is definitely there though. New orleans may be different or more diverse. I remember reading a post or a blog by someone here driving through northern lousiania and she said she was scared. { she had reddish skin i believe }

4. EllieP

Albums:
    Thanks for the information, fellas. We had a little experience with the Lafayette traffic going to a mall. It was horrendous, but I deal with horrendous in Gainesville on a daily basis. The heat here is very bearable, and I think that's from being so close to both coasts. But Lafayette is even closer to the Gulf, and the heat we did experience was kind of rough. Of course, the humidity was 110% because of the rain, and the mosquitos were awful. Still, the folks are wonderful, and Cap did get an invite to attend that festival in the spring.

Oh, and I am a house designer, really. I have a degree in architecture and interior design, so I'm a double whammy! I tried to specialize in renovations, but of course there's not a lot of that happening anymore. So I am sort of relegated to interiors and minor restoration. I'm hell with a sledge hammer!

As for rednecks, well, you probably never been to Gainesville, right? Let's just say that the South Georgia border does not necessarily end north of here, ok? And our guide was a man named Gidry, or Guidry, and he said that north and south Louisiana are worlds apart. Maybe he was inferring they were rednecks, too? Dunno.

Thanks again, guys. We're still mulling things over here. Cap's going back in a couple of weeks for a recording gig in Crowley, I believe. Anyone know anything about Crowley? I heard it's not far from Lafayette.

5. cdarro

cdarro New Member

Never been as far east as Louisiana, hopefully we can get there this winter, as we will be in SE Texas for about 4-6 weeks.

6. EllieP

Albums:
    I was practically raised in Austin, so I'm looking to get closer to family if we do move to Louisiana. Yay! I miss Texas.

7. Lng_1

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Crowley is very near Lafayette. It is much smaller than Lafayette. I can tell you that the Louisiana economy and places like Lafayette have not felt an economic crunch. In fact, many economist say it is the most insulated economy at this time due to its dependence on the oilfield. If you want to know more, send me a private message. My family is from that area.

8. breeze

breeze Member

See the other louisiana thread which just poped up.

9. breeze

breeze Member

It wasn't that long ago that david duke { kkk } ran for governor and was a serious contender. Its disturbing that someone from the kkk could get that far. I remember seeing clips from opponents chanting "no fascism USA". There is more here than just prejudice. There are definitely traces or signs of fascism. When there are open expressions of hostility toward foreigners or anything foreign that to me is a sign of fascism. How pervasive it is is hard to tell.

10. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I love Austin! I hope I can move there after I get my certifications and can get a decent job again.

Yes, but this isn't just in Louisiana. That kind of thinking was prevalent where I grew up. I even had an aunt and uncle who were all for David Duke. :mad: And in the "other" Louisiana thread (about the JP who won't marry interracial couples), I'd mentioned that I was not surprised, because where I grew up, nearly EVERYONE was against interracial couples (I was definitely in the minority, being fine with it, and having dated interracially a few times myself). Of course, where I grew up I was not liked for other reasons as well, and I'd say that in an area that is full of racism like this, I'm not going to get along too well, even if I only date white guys. I've lived at several different addresses now - one rural, two cities, but in one city I lived in two different places - and the rural area was all white, while all the places I've lived in in the cities have been diverse. I much, much prefer the places I've lived in the cities - how much of that is the diversity and how much of that is being in the city I don't know, but I still contend that the diversity is a large part of that. I don't want to move to an all-white suburb, either. A diverse suburb, sure, no problem!

But my favorite kind of atmosphere is kind of like in Austin, in the area around UT. I love the college-town kind of atmosphere.

I don't know much about Lafayette, LA except for the music festival there (which I haven't been to). The only city in Louisiana I've been in was Shreveport. And yes, it was HOT and HUMID when I was there - about 103 degrees with 95% humidity! Rather miserably hot... Where I live now gets just as hot, but not as humid. (And I can still deal with that better than I can bitter cold winters, though!)

11. EllieP

Albums:
    I was on the phone most of the afternoon with Mr. Prejean from Lafayette, and I brought up some of the posts referred to above.

He did laugh when I brought up David Duke, and he told me a story about that election. It appears that David Duke was running against a former governor Edwards who was sort of known to be on the take. He said it was the Kook vs. the Crook. But it also highlighted the differences in the different parts of the state. He said South La. is almost a different state into itself. First of all, it's almost all Catholic. Don't know if that's good or bad as far as I'm concerned, but that precludes the Klan from that area. Hammond is in an area called the Florida Parishes (?) and is considered South Mississippi (ha!).

Lafayette, is a little more white-collared than some of the other parts. The economy is pretty good, unemployment is relatively low, and real estate is kind of stable.

New Orleans itself is considered a whole different state, too! Nice place to visit briefly, but now is not the time to live there. Too unstable. Cajuns around Lafayette are friendly and will give you the shirt off their back. But they are very family-centric. They will include you as a family member if you want. Be ready to eat a lot of strange stuff and drink a lot too.

Lots of people follow LSU and lots of people follow the local college. High school football is huge. Music is religion. People don't ask which religion you are - just which mass do you go to (gulp).

I asked what happens if I don't happen to have a religion. He said it didn't matter as long as we were involved in music. Remember, it's a religion! Well, I didn't tell him that I'm not the musician, but I guess being married to one sort of grandfathers (grandmothers?) me in.

I feel kind of better, but we'll see next month. I'm so ready to leave Florida. There's is no business here; my clients are drying up. Cap's studio hours have been cut and cut. He's going out of state for gigs now, so there's really nothing left for us here.

12. breeze

breeze Member

It might work out for you. You have nothing to lose if florida isn't working for you. And you're relatively close to texas and if it doesn't work out you can also move again. I'm not that familiar with lafeyette but louisiana as a whole is one of the poorest states in the country. The economy where i live has google , apple , wells fargo , chevron , cisco , and 16 million tourists and is still bad.
    I don't think there is another state { maybe one or 2 } where a kkk member has any chance of winning an elected office. The kkk is everywhere in lousiana. I don't think they've abdicated any part of lousiana.
    Now if you're talking new orleans that might be a very different story. That might be a good place to live except for the heat.

Draft saved Draft deleted