"LOVE" and the internet

B_Sativa

1st Like
Media
In a dry flat land out west! Las Vegas, NV
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has anyone met someone online and had a successful relationship as a result? And especially for men, what is your opinion of women who meet men online? Or does this completely depend on whether she "puts" out or the site you have met the woman on...

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well I used to meet girls off Hot Or Not...I did meet one person I probably wouldn't have met otherwise cos she was hot and I'm shy. Plus I would never have seen her in the street either since she lives nowhere near here.

But that relationship wasn't good and it obviously wasn't love because we no longer communicate :tongue:.

The others I met were just horny sluts...basically lol. Nothing for me to have or want a relationship with :redface:.

Relationships do become sexual quickly on the internet. Which isn't always a good thing. Or never, as is the case with me

kilteddong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have a friend whom met her husband on "Match.com".

I was all for her trying the service out. There are so many busy people out there who don't have the time to meet people they would have things in common with or be on the same "page" with. She is an anesthesiologist and he is a mortician of all things. Worked out well for the both of them because the only people they ever came in contact with were grieving family members or people that would be unconscious in a few minutes. :smile:

They've been married for a few years now and still act like high school sweethearts.

lerotic

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
As much as I hate to admit it me and D met on Love @ Lycos 6 years ago. I wasn't long out of a relationship and just registered as a bit of fun since the ugly guy in the office was getting a lot of women contact him after putting "watches sex in the city" on his profile.

Long story short, met a few girls and had some random sexy, but D was a keeper and we get married the 27th of this month. She tells people we met online and I say we met at a show :)

D_Della Doubledees

Experimental Member
Media
I personally feel that online relationships allow you to get to know each other a lot better in some emotional and psychological capacities before getting intimate.... and it makes for a pretty solid foundation.

Sure, there are drawbacks... but, the bottom line is: you KNOW that person is talking to you for no other reason than because they really care about you. Talking online for weeks (and/or months) is a huge time investment, and no one is going to go through THAT much trouble just to get laid.

D_Selmus_Swallow

Account Disabled
Media
I personally feel that online relationships allow you to get to know each other a lot better in some emotional and psychological capacities before getting intimate.... and it makes for a pretty solid foundation.

Sure, there are drawbacks... but, the bottom line is: you KNOW that person is talking to you for no other reason than because they really care about you. Talking online for weeks (and/or months) is a huge time investment, and no one is going to go through THAT much trouble just to get laid.

I am going to have to agree with this completely. It seems like without the Internet I would not be getting anything going with anyone I felt genuinely connected to.

uncutblond34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I met my "other half" on the net. I used to collect and restore Cadillacs... the one I was working on at the time was a 71 Coupe deVille.. he IMmed me, telling me he had a 72 Coupe deVille. We chatted off and on over the course of 4 years, he living about 35 miles away. He never came over my way, I never went over his way, so we just chatted. Fast forward 4 years. We hadnt spoken in about a year. I moved over "his way" and was online and we started chatting again. Come to find out after about 7 hours of typing, we lived A MILE APART ! Now, mind you, neither of us had those cars anymore, and we had no idea what the other looked like... we just "clicked". Same likes, dislikes, favorite movie ( Driving Miss Daisy... what else for a couple gay car collectors ?! ) Well, we exchanged pics and decided to have dinner...... that was almost 3 yrs ago, and we're still together... we're both quirky enough that we actually "get" each other. So, yes... love can happen on the internet, and when you least expect it ! By the way.... he's still my best friend and trashiest lover !!!..:la:

D_Selmus_Swallow

Account Disabled
Media
I am going to have to agree with this completely. It seems like without the Internet I would not be getting anything going with anyone I felt genuinely connected to.

I will say that I've never found anybody on a "dating" site though. Usually there isn't anybody quirky enough for me, or who shares enough common interests, etc. on those. It's been mostly through forums and sites like Myspace or Livejournal.

slab8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Since my divorce in 2000, I have met and developed connections with about 15 women on various dating/singles sites, ranging from one-night stands to serious relationships, including the one I'm currently involved with. I met her on eHarmony.
It's easier (although it takes a little longer) to find and evaluate someone online. I have generally met quality women who are sincere in their search for a mate or a lover.
To answer the OP's question, I don't judge an online contact any differently than I would meeting a woman in a bar or a supermarket.

purrfect78

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I met my soon to be husband online a few years back through an online game.
We just chatted and became friends since I was married and wasn't looking for anything more. Earlier this year my marriage ended, we decided to meet, and he flew out here to stay for 3 months. Because we'd spoken so much on the net we were completely at ease from the moment he got here. It's a major distance issue for us at the moment but it's worth a few flights and annoying visas for sure :tongue:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As much as I hate to admit it me and D met on Love @ Lycos 6 years ago.
Six Years?!?!? You dated for six years?? I don't get that. :confused::confused:

I wasn't long out of a relationship and just registered as a bit of fun since the ugly guy in the office was getting a lot of women contact him after putting "watches sex in the city" on his profile.
That is a lame reason to respond to a profile. :tongue: If I saw that in a mans profile I would assume he was gay.

Long story short, met a few girls and had some random sexy, but D was a keeper and we get married the 27th of this month. She tells people we met online and I say we met at a show :)
A show, what kind of show? Why can't you two get synchronized on this?

I met my current beau on here and I tell everyone we met on myspace. He tells everyone we met on LPSG. :irked: He refuses to lie about anything which is one of the things that attracted me to him. :rolleyes: Though to be fair, he found my myspace page and I never told him I had one. Hence my feeling it's okay for me to say we met on myspace. :tongue: Semantics :cool:

Tristessa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I met my exhusband playing a game online when I was 16, and while that obviously didn't work out, we were married for 5 years. We emailed/called/etc for 3-4 years as friends before we actually hooked up when he was on tour.

I also met my now-partner online, technically. OKCupid used to be a test site, not a dating one, and I had an account there for years and years. It's used sort of as a network for friends in the UK, as well as dating, these days. I talked to him there and then realised his best friend was a good friend of mine and it was odd we hadn't run into each other before, so we decided to meet up. Happily together 8+ months.

My best friend has been in a long-distance relationship (well, until she was 20) for 11 years now that started online when she was 16, and they recently got married.

I think taking the focus off appearance and attraction lets you get to know personality-chemistry better. On the other hand, if you meet someone on a dating site (for instance), they are probably trying to only show their best side and you may get a false picture of the person. It's a lot easier to hide flaws online.

Nala

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I met my husband online (usenet) 11 years ago. We met in person after some weeks of e-mailing and a six-hour phone call. :biggrin1:

I wasn't looking for someone to hook up with at the time, it just happened. So yes, it is possible, we are still happy together.

MagicJohnsonFan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
A little more than a year ago I met the love of my life on Match.com. I was hesitant to do the online dating thing, but my brother got tired of listening to me complain about where to meet people and nagged me into it. I have to admit to a slow start (and one total creep), but it really wasn't very long before I met a really great guy. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling every time I see an online dating commercial on TV.

Several couples I know have had wonderful, long term relationships as a result of meeting online.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I do not think it is safe enough for women to meet men (or anyone to meet anyone really) that they met online unless they know them for a very long time

I dunno about true love or anything, but I have developed a fairly solid friendship with notthe7 :O)
havn't heard from her in awhile tho
*poke, prod, nudge, hint*