Love in the Time of Cholera

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by prince_will, Nov 16, 2007.

1. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    anybody read the book? i loved it. (it took me a little while to read) but i felt that the end didn't satisfy all of the buildup created earlier in the story.

i'm dying to see the movie, but it's been plagued by so much bad reviews!

what about you guys? any comments on book or movie?

2. snoozan

Gold Member

i loved the end, actually. to me the end saved the entire book-- i found it to be somewhat tiresome and i didn't really find myself drawn to any of the characters. i'm surprised i didn't like it simply because of the author and the reviews it's gotten from friends and from the world at large. i might have to read it again to get a better feel of the book. i've found that reading books in translation always manages to kind of blunt the prose for me, however, the only language i can read at all well is english.

3. chico8

chico8 New Member

It's been a long time since I read it but I loved the sense of fantasy in it. Marquez is a very talented writer.

4. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    i just finished it last week. it is a beautiful and very quotable book. it isn't somewhat realistic, but that's the beauty of it. Florentino had the atenice of a saint to wait half a century for a woman he loves...and another good thing is that Florentino comes off as completely noble even though he caused a woman to get killed, and used women as sexual playthings to replace the love of his life.

i still was shocked how Fermina just dismissed him so coldly after all the letters and love they shared when she was away. bitch! lol.

5. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

the first time i ever heard of it was in the movie "High Fidelity", and i thought it was a joke...then it played a part in "Serendipity", and i thought it was just another in-joke for Cusack fans.

however, since learning it was a real book, i definitely want to read it.

6. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    Serendipity actually made me want to read the book. I liked Serendipity and i thought the book would be just as romantic. i was right. there are some swoon-worthy quotes in the book, and overall, it was a wonderful read even though it was quite dense. this is a book which should be read if you have the time...because it took me so long to read this because i was so busy with school. i really should have read this in the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted