Love is......

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
jeff black asked what makes us fall in love, someone else asked do you know instantly, I'm asking what love is to you, is it a gentle aching to be with someone, a fire that consumes you or something else?

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Love to me is when you wake up in the morning and the first thing on your mind is that other person. When you get so excited to see that person again, even if it's only to go to Home Depot to buy a new retracting tape measure. When you're eating by yourself and you wish that that person was around so that you can tell them about how crazy the pizza lady's pants look today.

That's love to me.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Good question SP - and one I probably shouldn't be answering, seeing as I don't think I know. I'm assuming you mean love between partners (parent / child thing is something else).

I would say love is a feeling of unquestioning acceptance of everything that a person is - wanting to be with them despite, and sometimes even because of, all their foibles.

On the gentle aching / consuming fire scale of things I think it can be both and all points in between. It is, I guess, the need to be with the person no matter what, either in spirit or physically, or preferably both. The expression of that need can be gentle or savage - painful or a delight.

Corius

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
At the risk of being misunderstood, I venture this:

As one who has had the experience of loving relationships on both sides of my sexuality, I have always tried to separate the "urges I feel" from the love I desire. I have known what "lust" means and in my horny teen years, I knew how to "get my release" without risking scandal or unplanned fatherhood. But, I also learned that sometimes what started out as ordinary friendship became more than that; I found that the good of the friend was more important to me than my own good. We bonded as loving friends and very naturally we came to the point where the expression of our dispositions toward one another reached the point of the physical and the physical became what is known as the sexual. The sex we engaged in was a kind of affirmation, sealing, of the bond already established. That for me was love at its highest. The sex was great and only got better with each repeat.

My first experience of love and the sexual bonding of such love was with a male classmate during the last two years of high school. We haven't had sex together for many years, but the love we knew then has endured. We both found our love partners for life and have been happy married men and fathers for many years. Seeking the good of the other has a way of resulting in the affirmation of one's own worth and meaning for the partner. It amazes me how many people will settle for the momentary thrills of casual sex.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is love to me, in a beautiful poem ,which is a hokey song.

Youre the whisper of a summer breeze
Youre the kiss that puts my soul at ease
What Im saying is im in to you
Heres my story and the story goes
You give love, you get love

And all I want from you is what you are
And even if youre right next to me
Youre still too far away

If Im not inside your arms
I get dramatic baby,Yes I know
But I need you, I want you
Ooh man, I love you so

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good question, SP. Have to admit that I'm kind of confused about this one. Weird.

I'm looking forward to reading all the different viewpoints in this post.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Love is....

Something I long and yearn for; yet fear I may never find again. :banghead2:

I tend to see the world in terms of black & white. I only know how to love all the way, with all my heart and soul. I don't understand people who can hold back a part of themselves and love with only half their heart. With me the love I give a partner is 100% & unconditional.

That all consuming fire that SP mentions is how I would describe passion, not love.

I think love is kind of like caulk. It can fill in all those unsightly cracks and holes from past hurts and relationships so that you look good (whole) to all who see you. A bad caulk job is like a bad relationship. Everyone around you can see the flaws, the parts that don't quite work. The parts that need to be ripped out and started over. Think about it. How many of us have dated someone who was totally wrong for us and all your friends and family could see how bad that person was for you but you couldn't. That's a bad caulk job. :wink:

Love is security, happiness, belonging to someone, having them belong to me. Love is knowing that you aren't all alone in the world.

jeff black asked what makes us fall in love, someone else asked do you know instantly, I'm asking what love is to you, is it a gentle aching to be with someone, a fire that consumes you or something else?

scottisimus

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
From a guys viewpoint, it can start off with the famous words uttered by Cheap Trick... "I want you to want me." It seems to me that all any of us want, is to be acknowledged and appreciated.

Love should be a confluence of ideas and approaches to life, not concession. The lust, for both physical and mental qualities must be in place, let's face it you can only fuck so much. I don't believe that all deeply religious folks are in love with each-other, but in love with a common idea (God) and in love with a common goal (getting to Heaven). All fine motivations, just not for me.

If goals aren't aligned then I don't think love can or will flourish (unless dictated by a controlling organization), then of course, it may not be love at all, just preservation of the group. This is all fine, just not universal.

If two love-birds settle for a destinantion as a goal, I think the game is over, once you arrive, then what? There has to be goals of pursuits. Personally, I pursue a life of Re-Creation, Re-Freshing, new friends, new experiences, which all lead to an abundant life because you never really "arrive" - simply continue to gather experiences and make deposits that you can withdraw from time to time.

It's lonely to do this alone and what a treat it would be to have a partner in life that can add a certain spice to any adventure that makes it all it can possibly be.

THAT, to me is a starting point for a life-long relationship with a guy or gal that you'll never get tired of fucking or talking to.

I think the trick is to continue to do the things you enjoy and you'll bump into people that are doing the same thing and, voila, you may meet that someone special.

Let your lifestyle dictate your career, not your career dictate your lifestyle.

ArtfulDominant

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’ve experienced flawed and stillborn versions of LOVE many times in the past. I’ve had partners who couldn’t open up, game players who played fast and loose with my emotions, complacent takers who grew accustomed to the things I did for them and lovers who became addicted to how well I learned their trigger points but who felt little need to reciprocate and learn mine. And I realize I’ve played the immature one-dimensional partner role many times and missed opportunities to share deep and meaningful love.

Although I‘ve had my share of disappointments and unfulfilling relationships, I always believed that I would find and enjoy True Love eventually. It’s taken me many decades to learn a few simple Lessons of Love:
  • You unreservedly love your mate for who they are, not for some false ideal that you could change them to be.
  • With such a true and full love, you don’t have to wrestle with accepting your partner completely into your heart; you love them with open hands and you delight in how their being has complemented your existence so beautifully and completely.
  • Love – the full-blown Real Thing – is about every imaginable type of like, lust and love rolled into one, and a couple can never experience this type of love unless both partners feel totally secure with other and can tell each other anything and everything and be heard in a non-judgmental way..
Since joining this site, I’ve had the incredibly good fortune in finding a woman utterly perfect for me in every way: emotionally, intellectually and physically. I constantly feel her love in the care she takes to communicate with me and with the respect she shows in recognizing what’s important to me, as surely as I do when I enter her and she loves me with nothing held back.

HollyBlue: I love you to bits!!!!!

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I’ve experienced flawed and stillborn versions of LOVE many times in the past. I’ve had partners who couldn’t open up, game players who played fast and loose with my emotions, complacent takers who grew accustomed to the things I did for them and lovers who became addicted to how well I learned their trigger points but who felt little need to reciprocate and learn mine. And I realize I’ve played the immature one-dimensional partner role many times and missed opportunities to share deep and meaningful love.

Although I‘ve had my share of disappointments and unfulfilling relationships, I always believed that I would find and enjoy True Love eventually. It’s taken me many decades to learn a few simple Lessons of Love:
  • You unreservedly love your mate for who they are, not for some false ideal that you could change them to be.
  • With such a true and full love, you don’t have to wrestle with accepting your partner completely into your heart; you love them with open hands and you delight in how their being has complemented your existence so beautifully and completely.
  • Love – the full-blown Real Thing – is about every imaginable type of like, lust and love rolled into one, and a couple can never experience this type of love unless both partners feel totally secure with other and can tell each other anything and everything and be heard in a non-judgmental way..
Since joining this site, I’ve had the incredibly good fortune in finding a woman utterly perfect for me in every way: emotionally, intellectually and physically. I constantly feel her love in the care she takes to communicate with me and with the respect she shows in recognizing what’s important to me, as surely as I do when I enter her and she loves me with nothing held back.

HollyBlue: I love you to bits!!!!!

When you put it like that, I'm not sure that I ever have been truely in love with someone(I thought I had). That's given me something to think about regarding my own definiton of love - thank you.

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's also how I see love. :rolleyes: It's such a strong emotion.

Love to me is when you wake up in the morning and the first thing on your mind is that other person. When you get so excited to see that person again, even if it's only to go to Home Depot to buy a new retracting tape measure. When you're eating by yourself and you wish that that person was around so that you can tell them about how crazy the pizza lady's pants look today.

That's love to me.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So what does one do when you and your girl really love each other, are perfect for each other, want to be together 24/7, but she refuses to marry you simply because she doesn't want to be married to anyone?

You don't have to touch it to know........................
Love is everywhere that you go............................
You don't have to touch it to feel..........................
Love is every second we steal..............................

Love is love is nothing without you.......................
Love is love is everything you do.........................
Open up your eyes and you will see......................
Love is love is everything to me............................

You don't have to touch it to be............................
Wrapped up in emotion like me.............................
Everyone must feel how I do, yeah........................
Love is just to be close to you...............................

Love is love is nothing without you........................
Love is love is everything you do..........................
Open up your eyes and you will see.......................

And you know that love is love..............................
It's written in black and blue..................................
And everything you say .......................................
Must bring her closer, closer to you.......................

You don't have to touch it to know.........................
Love is everywhere that you go.............................
You don't have to touch it to feel...........................
Love is every second we steal...............................

Love is love is nothing without you.........................
Love is love is everything you do............................
Open up your eyes and you will see........................
Love is love is everything to me.............................

Love is love is everything ya do.............................

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I gave you diamonds and pearls
Would you be a happy boy or a girl?
If I could I would give you the world
But all I can do
Is just offer you
My love

Love is itself and isn't measured or increased by material things. It's the most precious thing you can give to someone :smile: Moreso than "diamonds and pearls" :redface:

A sad note is that Prince wrote this song for his unborn child (hence 'boy or a girl' - he didn't know if it was a girl or a boy). But his son died shortly after birth :(

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
EagleCowboy, this is one of Titan's favourite Culture Club songs (I love ballads). I digress....

Are you going through hard times? :confused:

So what does one do when you and your girl really love each other, are perfect for each other, want to be together 24/7, but she refuses to marry you simply because she doesn't want to be married to anyone?

You don't have to touch it to know........................
Love is everywhere that you go............................
You don't have to touch it to feel..........................
Love is every second we steal..............................

Love is love is nothing without you.......................
Love is love is everything you do.........................
Open up your eyes and you will see......................

You don't have to touch it to be............................
Wrapped up in emotion like me.............................
Everyone must feel how I do, yeah........................
Love is just to be close to you...............................

Love is love is nothing without you........................
Love is love is everything you do..........................
Open up your eyes and you will see.......................

And you know that love is love..............................
It's written in black and blue..................................
And everything you say .......................................
Must bring her closer, closer to you.......................

You don't have to touch it to know.........................
Love is everywhere that you go.............................
You don't have to touch it to feel...........................
Love is every second we steal...............................

Love is love is everything you do............................
Open up your eyes and you will see........................
Love is love is everything to me.............................

Love is love is everything ya do.............................