Love or Infatuation?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by naughty, Jun 26, 2006.

1. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

They say love is blind... What is love and what is infatuation. Have you ever been blindsided by one thinking it was the other? Is there such a thing as "love at first sight?"

2. dong20

Gold Member

Yes and Yes.:smile:

3. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    My take on this, Naughty, is that love is a two way thing, but infatuation is one way. ie. You can't 'love' someone who isn't aware of your existance (film star, etc.). That's infatuation. Being crazy about someone who knows you but doesn't feel that way about you is also infatuation. Love is when you feel the same powerful affection for each other.

4. naughty

Gold Member

Or ,
    the two people could love one another in two different ways. Or with different degrees of intensity. I hate when that happens... LOL!

5. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mmm. Just when I thought I had it sorted! Darn.:mad:

6. naughty

Gold Member

Riven,

I think what you described was unrequited love. But that does not mean that it is not legit. Just not reciprocated.... Read this I think it says it all...

Here is a poem by the great "Black Russian" poet ,Alexander Pushkin which really moved me to tears recently: I loved you, I love you still too much. But forget this love that pressed sadly against your will. I loved you in silence Without hope, but true, Jealous , afraid. I pray that someone May love you again the same way... [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]..

7. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nice poetry Naughty. I haven't read any Pushkin. I think you're right. I was being a bit glib, trite, or whatever it is. Of course, I'm the one who maintains that if you've ever really loved someone, you never stop; not really stop. You just package that love away in a secret place in your heart where it causes an ache, and occasionally bleeds a little. :sad:

8. mellowmal

mellowmal New Member

Wow - that poem really hit me with a bittersweet punch.

I just got back to the house after dinner with an ex. One of those cases of love not being enough to tolerate the months of his not working, the kids he forgot to mention, all that stuff that made for more botheration than I could handle. (Okay, I'm not sure botheration is a word, but it SHOULD be, darnit.)

Love at first sight - for me, this has always been lust when I'm honest about it. Love is a slower growing thing - it is the patience when the beloved isn't at his or her best, the ability to maintain belief in the shared dream even when life keeps waking us up, and the grace in recovery when it's me that's in the wrong. (It's a lot of other things, too - none of which have to do with that "ohgod" belly-clench of love at first sight.)

Now I'll be sniffling in the corner over that poem.

9. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

I think it is infatuation in my opinion....I don't think I have ever been really in love....Have definitely been in lust several times is what I call it....I have tried to really fall for someone but I think I have some trust issues and I never completely get into it....But I do think love is a beautiful thing....I like seeing everyone else in love....But I have seen several friends that are so blinded by love, they turn into scary stocker guy or the girl that shows up everwhere the ex is and tries to befriend the current girl and make everything awkward....So if you find true love - don't be stupid and mess it up....

10. pinkbutton

pinkbutton New Member

Infatuation sounds more like an unhealthy intense desire for somebody . . like you can't get enough of them, can't leave them alone.

11. amhersthungboi

Albums:
    I am brought to remember a quote by Voltaire (my favorite author). It goes something like this:

Love hurts, and that's why there are two people in love, to help ease each other through the pain.

So, love definitely involves two people, at least I think so. One way, or "unrequited love" is really just a deep infatuation, or obsession, but true love cannot occur until it goes both ways. Infatuation hurts, but there's no one else to ease the pain ... so is that really love? I don't think so, but that's my thought.

12. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Great poem there, Naughty. Am reaching for a Kleenex right now. ***Honk!!** Seriously tho, I don't think you can have an infatuation without some expecation of unrequited love, it's just not possible. It helps us learn and grow, you know?

13. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    You just touched the part of my heart that hurts....

14. stud_hunter

stud_hunter New Member

Lust as first sight for sure! Love at first sight, well call me a skeptic but I say no. I don't think a person can really feel love after 10 seconds, or even 10 minutes.

15. dong20

Gold Member

I do believe in love at first sight, but it's I accept it's probably Hindsight.:smile:

16. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

Love would be adoration that doesn't require sex.

Infatuation would always hopefully lead to sex, or at least that is the main thought an infatuated person would have...in my experience.

17. naughty

Gold Member

Darling,

YOu are describing Chivalric love.

18. Gisella

Gold Member

Ihhh...complication in my head already...:biggrin1:

Infatuation to me are crushes..some short other long lived and i confuse it with love a lot... but it finish and did not had oportunity to growo to other stages

Love...havent the great pleasure to meet it yet ...

But one thing i know i lived my love crushes with passion...

19. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

That's the only love I know! lol.

Seriously though, love for me...would be a feeling higher than sex because anyone can have sex...etc. I'm looking for a unique feeling that would nullify my sexual urges and I wouldn't even mind because it would be so great.

:D

Too idealistic?

20. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've experienced infatuation in varying degrees and fallen in love twice (once at first sight; the other over time). No regrets whatsoever.

Rumi stated that "lovers have the interest without the capital" and the poem is one of the best descriptions of falling in love i've read to date. Pablo Neruda perfectly pens love at first sight "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where . . . "

Draft saved Draft deleted