Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey ladies,

Recently my girlfriend has been experiencing lower and lower libito. To a point that it is very upsetting. She is never really in the mood anymore, and it is slowly beginning to affect our relationship. She can still enjoy sex, and gets in the mood occasionally, but it is significantly less often then usual, and it often seems to be at times that we can't act upon it. The problem started about 2 months ago, and it hasn't really gotten much worse, but it certainly isn't getting better.

She takes tri-cyclen lo, and has been on it for just under a year. I am wondering if any of you have any incite as to what we can do to help her increase her libito, and maybe recommend a birth control that is less likely to affect her libito, or maybe another form of contraceptive that wont do this(NO CONDOMS, PLEASE).

Remember that I am always willing to pull out, which is what I do now. The birth control is that back up, which we'd like to keep there.

Is there hope for us?

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm, IF it is her birthcontrol pill she can try going to her doctor and trying something different. I take Loestrin24Fe which I LOVE LOVE LOVE over my old pill ortho-tricyclen (which made me kind of extra special weepy around "that" time.)

Is she on anything else? Any anti-depressants or Anti-anxiety meds?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Birth control negatively affected my libido. I had better luck on low hormone ones than the others. I liked the Nuvaring myself. You wear it inside the vagina for 21 days, and replace it with a new one 7 days later. I thought it was the most perfect hormone option available.

SSRIs (one class of anti-depressant, like Prozac) made it impossible for me to orgasm, but it did not impact my libido. I still wanted sex. It has to do with the way that the SSRI prevents the build-up of dopamine in the brain. No build-up, no sexual release. I don't know how other anti-depressants work. My one and only experience was so unpleasant that I vowed never to take another one!

Last edited:

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
SSRIs (one class of anti-depressant, like Prozac) made it impossible for me to orgasm, but it did not impact my libido. I still wanted sex. It has to do with the way that the SSRI prevents the build-up of dopamine in the brain. No build-up, no sexual release. I don't know how other anti-depressants work. My one and only experience was so unpleasant that I vowed never to take another one!

I was able to orgasm with SSRI type but now on a combi and it makes me drowsy and 'too tired' for sex though i do it still but feel tired quicker:frown1:

Apparently though,SSRI's are supposed to lower libido but thankfully didnt with me.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was able to orgasm with SSRI type but now on a combi and it makes me drowsy and 'too tired' for sex though i do it still but feel tired quicker:frown1:

Apparently though,SSRI's are supposed to lower libido but thankfully didnt with me.

Six weeks after I began taking it, no more orgasms but my libido was still the same! Imagine being your normal horndog self, but not being able to get off any more. It was horrible. Nothing I did worked. I decided immediately to get off of them.

From now on when I'm unhappy, I'm changing my life and I'm avoiding drugs. I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but I really didn't need to be on them, and I only tried it because I didn't think there was any harm in it. I was wrong about that, too. Getting off the SSRIs gave me suicidal thoughts. Those drugs are dangerous!

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Six weeks after I began taking it, no more orgasms! It was horrible. Nothing I did worked. I decided immediately to get off of them.

From now on when I'm unhappy, I'm changing my life and I'm avoiding drugs. I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but I really didn't need to be on them, and I only tried it because I didn't think there was any harm in it. I was wrong about that, too. Getting off the SSRIs gave me suicidal thoughts. Those drugs are dangerous!

I took Lexapro briefly to try to help with anxiety. Your not kidding when you say they are dangerous. I fell asleep at the drop of a hat. I could be driving home and have to pull over because I couldn't keep my eyes open. The first couples of nights I took them I felt like I was on an illegal drug. My whole body tingled and I just felt wonderful but then I felt like a zombie. Horrible things.:mad:

Now I say my ABC's backwards under my breath or count everything I see without turning my head etc. I find little ways to cope without taking drugs.

beachbum1971

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any birth control that is hormonal can effect sex drive. I have a Mirena IUD and it's awesome! But, a woman can only get an IUD if she had had a child, because they have to insert it through the cervix. I hated being on the pill. I did it for years and not only did it affect my drive, it dried me out too. Yuck!

Chaotica

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
But the Mirena has hormones too. And even a non-hormonal copper IUD could potentially be felt by a long cock.

The only other non-hormonal contraceptive I can think of is a sponge, Spectacle, but those are much more expensive than condoms.

D_Amanda_Faulk

Account Disabled
Media
My wife is using an implant (3 year pill inserted in the arm) and it has a very negative impact on our sex life. I'm usually the one who asks for sex, but now I need to beg and I get more and more negative answers :(

She thinks about removing it and using an IUD.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media

The reason why i had to go onto them cannot be changed though being on them makes me feel to be in brighter mood and so they are definately the best thing for me tbh.

I'd be more dangerous not on them and in all honesty i wouldnt be able to work to my full capacity.I felt suicidal prior to going onto meds.....but then for those who know the reason why will realise that it is obvious why i would feel like that.

Mirena is a fab contraception and if i needed contraception i would definately use Mirena.We (midwives) recommend that when doing the contraception talk to new mums prior to them going home after the birth.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to ask...

Why do straight men fuck bareback???

Uh, isn't it obvious? Bareback is the way nature (or God) intended for humans to mate. It feels lots better, more natural, and who really wants to have sex with a balloon?

I see several issues in this tread, that maybe I can address in just one short posting?

"Birth control" has SIDE EFFECTS, which could easily be the problem behind the low libito.

I also don't think midwives or hospitals ought to be pushing anti-life birth control, right after the baby has come out. Isn't that at the very least, very crude? It's not like yet another baby will pop out tomorrow? My (married) sister said something about finding it offensive how they push people right away to use birth control, as if children aren't wanted by people having them? My sister also said she thought "the pill" had messed her up and she was afraid her system might never be normal enough again to have a child. So I think they now avoid those nasty chemical/pill methods.

Then of course, isn't it easier to enjoy the natural mating, having first gotten married, and then welcome along any babies that come? It used to be that babies were counted as blessings, but now "burdens?" No wonder so many people are having low libito issues. But there's probably also natural reasons for low libito. I think there might be a good herbal remedy for that, but I am no herbalist, so I can't say which it would be.

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
Uh, isn't it obvious? Bareback is the way nature (or God) intended for humans to mate. It feels lots better, more natural, and who really wants to have sex with a balloon?

I see several issues in this tread, that maybe I can address in just one short posting?

"Birth control" has SIDE EFFECTS, which could easily be the problem behind the low libito.

I also don't think midwives or hospitals ought to be pushing anti-life birth control, right after the baby has come out. Isn't that at the very least, very crude? It's not like yet another baby will pop out tomorrow? My (married) sister said something about finding it offensive how they push people right away to use birth control, as if children aren't wanted by people having them? My sister also said she thought "the pill" had messed her up and she was afraid her system might never be normal enough again to have a child. So I think they now avoid those nasty chemical/pill methods.

Then of course, isn't it easier to enjoy the natural mating, having first gotten married, and then welcome along any babies that come? It used to be that babies were counted as blessings, but now "burdens?" No wonder so many people are having low libito issues. But there's probably also natural reasons for low libito. I think there might be a good herbal remedy for that, but I am no herbalist, so I can't say which it would be.

Well thankfully us midwives don't really care what you think seeing as you clearly don't quite 'get it'....maybe a baby won't pop out tomorrow but who is to say that the couple won't have sex and concieve again tomorrow?:rolleyes:

...and before you reply.....remember many do concieve as soon as they have sex again.Some are back to give birth within the first 9-10 months after the previous baby was born.

As for your (married) sister,well...maybe she wants to concieve time and again and give birth to numerous children but thankfully not everyone does....nor are they capable of carrying subsequent babies in utero.Some have had the most c sections they are allowed for one example....these women need contraception...well they do if they don't fancy having their womb rupture thus causing death.

Maybe when both you and you (married) sister have been to uni and become midwives THEN you will both be able to comment what us midwives do.:rolleyes:

If the pill was as bad as your (married) sister says it is then WTF doesnt it mess every woman up then??

Oh yes,that's right....because it ISNT that bad as to fvck every woman up......clearly!:rolleyes:

.....Oh and before you get your knickers in a twist thinking i may be against big families.....well i have 6 children which was right for me and my husbands.Though it isnt exactly what every couple wants.

Last edited:

Chaotica

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Well, yes, that side effect of low libido is well known, and Spectacle brought up the question in order to find a non-hormonal birth control. I thought the rest of your ranting was unnecessary but that's JMO, not a personal slam against you.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well thankfully us midwives don't really care what you think seeing as you clearly don't quite 'get it'....maybe a baby won't pop out tomorrow but who is to say that the couple won't have sex and concieve again tomorrow?:rolleyes:

...and before you reply.....remember many do concieve as soon as they have sex again.Some are back to give birth within the first 9-10 months after the previous baby was born. ...

Sure, many people don't conceive the 1st time, but of course it could happen the 2nd time, and sometimes it may take 100s or 1000s of times. But many families might be glad to have many children with ages close together, or some may okay with having "baby after baby after baby." Don't forget human fertility is fragile and can fade quickly with age. Or something may go wrong, such that she can't have any more babies, so it was good to have so many while they could.

One some large family comebacks webpage, I read one about "Haven't you had that baby yet? Answer: Yeah, and this is the next one. See if that doesn't make their jaw drop."

I don't believe in use of birth control and am open to the prospect of having a big family, so if a baby conceives the very 1st time of sex after birth, so much the better. More and more people would be glad to live, so why not respect the body's natural reproductive rhythms and to welcome babies to come when they come, like worked so well for our ancestors? I don't believe in hindering the natural human fertility around the world and believe in embracing and celebrating humanity's soaring natural increase.

Anyway, not everybody conceives right away. Doesn't it often typically take a year or 2 or more? Breastfeeding supposedly helps naturally space babies somewhat, and surely God meant for most babies to be breastfed until they can move on to solid food. So I accept breastfeeding in public, as is common in developing countries, still more pronatalist than we seem to be these days.

If the pill was as bad as your (married) sister says it is then WTF doesnt it mess every woman up then??

Oh yes,that's right....because it ISNT that bad as to fvck every woman up......clearly!:rolleyes:

.....Oh and before you get your knickers in a twist thinking i may be against big families.....well i have 6 children which was right for me and my husbands.Though it isnt exactly what every couple wants.

Perhaps the pill messes up more people than you think? Not exactly the most popular topic of conversation is it, to admit to being conned or duped, whether by a financial scam, or by misleading contraceptive propaganda? Some women may have destroyed their fertility, but since they aren't trying to conceive anyway right then, fail to notice, and then they can't get pregnant later. Is it then old age or what?

A guy I once worked with, said his wife wanted 6 children. Of course I told him to go for it, he wouldn't be sorry. A guy at a recent Walk For Life said they have 4 children and don't use birth control. Could be 6 or more by now? A friend told me that they decided to try for a 5th child. And a couple at my present Church is expecting their 5th child, a girl, in a few weeks. I've been to Churches with families of 6, 8, even 9 children.

But if people have any hopes of possibly having a large family, they should allow conceptions to occur as much as possible, because the human fertility is not so certain as to just pop out babies on demand, nor are many people near as fertile as they think they are. All reasons to consider that "birth control" probably isn't worth the bother anyway. Most all parents love ALL their children, no matter how many they might end up to be. Whatever happened to "faith babies" anyway, a term that has a somewhat different, but related, meaning in the sci-fi movie GATTAGA.

domino7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any birth control that is hormonal can effect sex drive. I have a Mirena IUD and it's awesome! But, a woman can only get an IUD if she had had a child, because they have to insert it through the cervix. I hated being on the pill. I did it for years and not only did it affect my drive, it dried me out too. Yuck!

Give the IUD time for about the last three years it kills your sex drive. My wife is getting hers taken out as I type this. It worked great but if it causes you not to want sex it kind of defeats the purpose.