Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bad enough you expect us to adopt your retardedly nonsensical units of measurement...if you try to make us embrace your bass-ackward spelling conventions as well, we'll bomb your sorry asses back to the age of palms and cubits.

I really hope that the "retardedly nonsensical units of measurement" you're talking about is all the inches, feet, pound and gallon thing.

The wonders of decimal system is instantly evident to anyone you knows the slightest thing about it. Instant conversion from mass, weight, capacity, lenght among others. Knowing one, you can get the others in no time, just by moving the decimal point.

Just saying...

Now regarding the main topic here, I happen to agree with MidLifebear.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I really hope that the "retardedly nonsensical units of measurement" you're talking about is all the inches, feet, pound and gallon thing.
Hmmm, let's see...I was directly responding to you and I used the possessive attribution your... :scratchchin:

Apparently your system of measurement isn't the only thing retarded down there. :dunce:

The wonders of decimal system is instantly evident to anyone you knows the slightest thing about it. Instant conversion from mass, weight, capacity, lenght among others. Knowing one, you can get the others in no time, just by moving the decimal point.
Yeah, that's wonderful if you're an scientist or a propellerhead who gets his jollies manipulating numbers. :rolleyes:
For those of us who actually use the units as a way to represent meaningful quantities of goods we use on an everyday basis, it makes about as much sense as selling your house because the sofa you purchased won't fit through the door.

For the record, my earlier posts were in jest. Lighten the fuck up, Francis.

BoyCordoba

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmmm, let's see...I was directly responding to you and I used the possessive attribution your... :scratchchin:

Apparently your system of measurement isn't the only thing retarded down there. :dunce:

- Actually, you were not responding anything to me, because the previous was just my first post on this thread. If there's something retarded here, well...I will not point at it directly. I'd rather not get banned for such stupid argument. BTW, you were responding to Durbantom, from South Africa, I'm in Argentina, just a few miles ACROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN IN A DIFFERENT CONTINENT.

Yeah, that's wonderful if you're an scientist or a propellerhead who gets his jollies manipulating numbers. :rolleyes:
For those of us who actually use the units as a way to represent meaningful quantities of goods we use on an everyday basis, it makes about as much sense as selling your house because the sofa you purchased won't fit through the door.

- I disagree, it's wonderful in most everyday situations, as you mentioned, to represent meaningful quantities of goods we use on an everyday basis. Those goods are not only measured with just one magnitude. For instance, a bottle of water has a weight, has a size and it occupies a certain amount of space. In the metric system 1 liter (or litre for the british or australians) weights 1 Kilo and occupies a space defined by a cube mesuring 10 centimeters per side. The same way a water tank will hold a 1000 liters of water, weight 1000 Kilos and measure 1 meter per side if cubed. (Most liquids can be aproximated that way). I won't start with practical examples and comparisons since it would take forever. Also don't get me started on the Farenheit/Centigrade temperature scale. Jeez...!

For the record, my earlier posts were in jest. Lighten the fuck up, Francis.

- For the record, I'm a Light Jockey, so I light up whatever I want, whenever I want. (Just a joke) Relax.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
- Actually, you were not responding anything to me...you were responding to Durbantom, from South Africa, I'm in Argentina, just a few miles ACROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN IN A DIFFERENT CONTINENT.
As if we can be bothered to make any distinction amongst you blandly conformist third-world backwater trogs... :rolleyes:

For the rest...TL;DR. :yawn:

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

:usa::usa::usa:
:unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates:

U-S-A! U-S-A!

:usa1: :usa2: :usa1: :usa2: :usa1: :usa2:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Also don't get me started on the Farenheit/Centigrade temperature scale. Jeez...!

I've had the distinct pleasure and privilege of living in a metric-only country (France, where if memory serves, they invented the metric system); it took about a month before I was completely acclimated to its strengths and weaknesses.

I happen to agree with HG that, in real life, it's really more just the bother of learning a different system of weights and measures than any boon in conveniences on way or another. The only exception is as regards temperature: outside of a lab, Celsius is not an effective way to measure the temperature of things we need to know in order to live. The scale is simply too limited and the distance between degrees too far apart.

After months of attempting to make some sort of adjustment, I began to notice certain correlations in my mind and reach the (rather ingenious) conclusion that F=C x 2 + 32. Therefore, 18C is 36 + 32, which is a nicely warm (for Paris) 68F. Though I easily mastered Kgs and liters and Kms, I never adjusted to centigrade in all the years I lived there, always doing that little algebra in my head before really understanding what I should plan to wear the next day :tongue:

BoyCordoba

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is there an echo in here?

[ITAEIH]

Hahah I guess it's more like a delay on the page refresh rate. At least for me. When I posted the meaning of TL;DR no answer was visible. Sorry.

Hey Bbucko! I used the same math when trying to explain wather forecasts to our american clients when getting ready to go to the field to hunt. 'm not sure what natural event correlates with Farenheit temperatures, but in Centigrade you have 0 degree for water freezing point and 100 degrees for boiling point.

BoyCordoba

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It takes more than three hours for your page to refresh? Maybe you need more RAM or something.

Nope, usually not. Probably the ISP is fucking smth up. Sometimes we were being fed cached pages, altough I haven't heard of it happening in the last few years....

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Nope, usually not. Probably the ISP is fucking smth up. Sometimes we were being fed cached pages, altough I haven't heard of it happening in the last few years....
k . . . I suppose that's possible. :rolleyes:

Or maybe HG's post was too long, and you didn't read. :tongue:

P.S.
. . . in Centigrade you have 0 degree for water freezing point and 100 degrees for boiling point.
Wow. Who knew? Well they say you should learn something new everyday, so thanks. :smile:

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm fully use to both measuring system and function equally well in both. I can convert both back and forth in my head quickly and pretty accurately although it is not really needed. You just use the one system and in time to get to have a sense of what an ounce feels like in your hand or how far a kilometer is.

As Bucko said, temperature is probably the hardest to get use to for people brought up in the Fahrenheit system. I know that 35c is hot, but it is a low number. 95F sounds and feels hot! Fahrenheit is more tuned to what humans actually feel. Except at the lower end. I have no idea why zero degrees F doesn't equal freezing. It's not logical at all to have it be 32.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fahrenheit is more tuned to what humans actually feel. Except at the lower end. I have no idea why zero degrees F doesn't equal freezing. It's not logical at all to have it be 32.
That's because Fahrenheit designed the scale using reference points based on (gasp! shock!) ordinary human experience.

He set the zero point at the freezing temperature of a brine solution. Salts lower the freezing point of solutions...the particular ammonium salt he used freezes at temperatures 32° below the point where plain water freezes.

He also set 100° to be the temperature registered on the thermometer when held in the mouth...normal human body temperature.

As later measurements became more precise, the scale was altered to set the boiling point of plain water exactly 180° above its freezing point, which resulted in normal body temperature being shifted down slightly to 98.6°.