Loyalty Oath

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Saturday, here in my little corner of the world, Dick Cheney was in town. OK, I didn't attend (for reasons obvious to readers here). What could be more American and patriotic than going to hear a (duly elected?) public official speak, hell, take the whole fam damly? Here, however, is the fly in the ointment. When people went to pick up tickets they were given a form to sign which stated that it made them duly authorized Americans who had been cleared to view a public official in public? The form began (and I quote): "I, (full name)...do herby (sic) endorse George Bush for reelection of the United States." The Republican party said the form was necessary because a "known Democratic operative group" intended to do exactly what the Republican group did at a recent Kerry-Edwards rally: Show up and demonstrate loudly. A loyalty oath to see a public figure speak in public, who would have thought. :(

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's odd that they would put it in writing, but it's very common for both parties to screen their audiences to make sure the crowd is only going to be cheering and not booing. Both Bush and Kerry pick their crowds for their public appearances as much as possible to give the illusion of loyalty and unity. It also reduces the likelihood that protesters will steal publicity from a candidate on any given day and the news media mostly complies.

Again, I'm kind of surprised they would ask people to sign a form though. What if you lied? They would have no way of proving later that you voted for Bush/Cheney in November? What could they do exactly? My guess is nothing. It's just a strong statement that a staunch Bush supporter will have no qualms about signing. So they get a loyal crowd.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Whether the "loyalty oath" is for a Bush-Cheney or Kerry-Edwards event, it smacks of totalitarianism and I find it repugnant. Inviting an audience sympathetic to your candidate is standard and expected....making people sign a document of loyalty to support the shrub for "reelection of the United States" is another. Reelection as or of what? Dictator, despot, Supreme Ruler...WHAT? Or did they mean the U.S. was running for election....that may be closer to the truth than I want to think about.

"I, (full name)...do herby (sic) endorse George Bush for reelection of the United States."

I'm no scholar (DMW jump in here B) ) but if they are going to print the document, couldn't they have at least run it through Word for Windows spell and grammar check?

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Aug 1 2004, 11:08 PM
The Republican party said the form was necessary because a "known Democratic operative group" intended to do exactly what the Republican group did at a recent Kerry-Edwards rally: Show up and demonstrate loudly. A loyalty oath to see a public figure speak in public, who would have thought. :(
Once again, rules of fair play don't apply to them -- only to others.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Aug 2 2004, 03:50 AM
"I, (full name)...do herby (sic) endorse George Bush for reelection of the United States."

I'm no scholar (DMW jump in here B) ) but if they are going to print the document, couldn't they have at least run it through Word for Windows spell and grammar check?
You would think! But maybe this 'Herby' dude has a large penis, or other Weapon of Mass Distraction, that's supposed to make you forget about the fact you're endorsing Dubya. :huh:

And for a usage note, "for the reelection of the United States" doesn't make sense: the United States is not up for reelection.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not only does Cheney require a loyalty oath, his staff engages in racial profiling of his media contacts:

The Arizona Daily Star assigned photographer Momta Popat to cover an appearance by Dick Cheney at a rally at the Pima County Fairgrounds this weekend.

A Cheney aide requested that the newspaper disclose Popat's race before they would admit her to the event.

When the managing editor of the Daily Star balked at the request, organizer Christine Walton replied that the information was necessary to -- get this! -- enable the Secret Service to distinguish her from someone else who might have the same name.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye@Aug 2 2004, 09:14 PM
Not only does Cheney require a loyalty oath, his staff engages in racial profiling of his media contacts:

The Arizona Daily Star assigned photographer Momta Popat to cover an appearance by Dick Cheney at a rally at the Pima County Fairgrounds this weekend. 

A Cheney aide requested that the newspaper disclose Popat's race before they would admit her to the event.

When the managing editor of the Daily Star balked at the request, organizer Christine Walton replied that the information was necessary to -- get this! -- enable the Secret Service to distinguish her from someone else who might have the same name.
I know how that can be...I got confused just today talking to one Momta when I thought it was the other one. sheesh.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by mindseye@Aug 3 2004, 03:14 AM

Smith, Chin, Johnson, Popat, Rikitikitavi.... they really are such common names -- especially in the Hamptons. Oh, you just don't want to be getting the Popats of East Hamptons mixed up with the Popats of Egg Harbor. Lord, you'd have to cancel the damn croquet party. :wacko:

Me, I'm fromt he North Pole. Um, I mean it's sorta like the North Pole. I mean it points north a lot. And, um it's a pole. But not a Pole, per se.

Late, hunh ?

:wacko:

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Aug 3 2004, 05:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At this time of night that was hysterical ! :lol: :lol:
Yeah, but I'll look at that tomorrow and think, "Good god, what in the hell were you thinking???"

:blink:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Aug 3 2004, 02:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DoubleMeatWhopper @ Aug 3 2004, 02:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KinkGuy@Aug 2 2004, 03:50 AM

I&#39;m no scholar (DMW jump in here B) ) but if they are going to print the document, couldn&#39;t they have at least run it through Word for Windows spell and grammar check?
You would think&#33; But maybe this &#39;Herby&#39; dude has a large penis, or other Weapon of Mass Distraction, that&#39;s supposed to make you forget about the fact you&#39;re endorsing Dubya. :huh:

And for a usage note, "for the reelection of the United States" doesn&#39;t make sense: the United States is not up for reelection. [/b][/quote]
DMW, in additon to that, how can you reelect someone who was never elected in the first place? God, these ppl are dumb&#33;

I&#39;m voting for Herby and his weapon of mass distraction.

Pony- Nice tits&#33;

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Aug 3 2004, 08:49 AM

DMW, in additon to that, how can you reelect someone who was never elected in the first place? God, these ppl are dumb&#33;

I&#39;m voting for Herby and his weapon of mass distraction.

Pony- Nice tits&#33;
Yeah, I love the bumper stickers, "Defeat Bush Again." :)

And thanks, Madame, but mine aren&#39;t anywhere near as impressive as yours&#33;

:p

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by ponybilt+Aug 2 2004, 11:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponybilt @ Aug 2 2004, 11:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KinkGuy@Aug 3 2004, 05:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At this time of night that was hysterical &#33; :lol: :lol:
Yeah, but I&#39;ll look at that tomorrow and think, "Good god, what in the hell were you thinking???"

:blink: [/b][/quote]
Yeah, me too. But what the hell.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Oh, hey, Ponybilt, that reminds me of the Anti-Bush Videogame. In one scene, it has Michael Powell (head of the FCC and Colin&#39;s son) in a fifty-foot robotic Janet Jackson with missiles firing from the nipple&#33;