Loyalty Oath

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by KinkGuy, Aug 1, 2004.

1. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Saturday, here in my little corner of the world, Dick Cheney was in town. OK, I didn't attend (for reasons obvious to readers here). What could be more American and patriotic than going to hear a (duly elected?) public official speak, hell, take the whole fam damly? Here, however, is the fly in the ointment. When people went to pick up tickets they were given a form to sign which stated that it made them duly authorized Americans who had been cleared to view a public official in public? The form began (and I quote): "I, (full name)...do herby (sic) endorse George Bush for reelection of the United States." The Republican party said the form was necessary because a "known Democratic operative group" intended to do exactly what the Republican group did at a recent Kerry-Edwards rally: Show up and demonstrate loudly. A loyalty oath to see a public figure speak in public, who would have thought. :(

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

I've got an oath or two for 'em!!

3. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I think it's odd that they would put it in writing, but it's very common for both parties to screen their audiences to make sure the crowd is only going to be cheering and not booing. Both Bush and Kerry pick their crowds for their public appearances as much as possible to give the illusion of loyalty and unity. It also reduces the likelihood that protesters will steal publicity from a candidate on any given day and the news media mostly complies.

Again, I'm kind of surprised they would ask people to sign a form though. What if you lied? They would have no way of proving later that you voted for Bush/Cheney in November? What could they do exactly? My guess is nothing. It's just a strong statement that a staunch Bush supporter will have no qualms about signing. So they get a loyal crowd.

4. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Whether the "loyalty oath" is for a Bush-Cheney or Kerry-Edwards event, it smacks of totalitarianism and I find it repugnant. Inviting an audience sympathetic to your candidate is standard and expected....making people sign a document of loyalty to support the shrub for "reelection of the United States" is another. Reelection as or of what? Dictator, despot, Supreme Ruler...WHAT? Or did they mean the U.S. was running for election....that may be closer to the truth than I want to think about.

"I, (full name)...do herby (sic) endorse George Bush for reelection of the United States."

I'm no scholar (DMW jump in here B) ) but if they are going to print the document, couldn't they have at least run it through Word for Windows spell and grammar check?

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Who knows, maybe herby is a nice guy...

6. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    Once again, rules of fair play don't apply to them -- only to others.

7. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    I knew a Herby once, and yeah, I probably would've done him :rolleyes:

8. jonb

Gold Member

Maybe not an oath, but a lot of swearing. *ba-rump-bump*

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Can we write in "Herby"? Just might be our best bet. B)

10. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

You would think! But maybe this 'Herby' dude has a large penis, or other Weapon of Mass Distraction, that's supposed to make you forget about the fact you're endorsing Dubya. :huh:

And for a usage note, "for the reelection of the United States" doesn't make sense: the United States is not up for reelection.

11. mindseye

Gold Member

Not only does Cheney require a loyalty oath, his staff engages in racial profiling of his media contacts:

12. KinkGuy

Gold Member

I know how that can be...I got confused just today talking to one Momta when I thought it was the other one. sheesh.

13. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    Smith, Chin, Johnson, Popat, Rikitikitavi.... they really are such common names -- especially in the Hamptons. Oh, you just don't want to be getting the Popats of East Hamptons mixed up with the Popats of Egg Harbor. Lord, you'd have to cancel the damn croquet party. :wacko:

Me, I'm fromt he North Pole. Um, I mean it's sorta like the North Pole. I mean it points north a lot. And, um it's a pole. But not a Pole, per se.

Late, hunh ?

:wacko:

14. KinkGuy

Gold Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At this time of night that was hysterical ! :lol: :lol:

15. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    Yeah, but I'll look at that tomorrow and think, "Good god, what in the hell were you thinking???"

:blink:

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

You would think! But maybe this 'Herby' dude has a large penis, or other Weapon of Mass Distraction, that's supposed to make you forget about the fact you're endorsing Dubya. :huh:

And for a usage note, "for the reelection of the United States" doesn't make sense: the United States is not up for reelection. [/b][/quote]
    DMW, in additon to that, how can you reelect someone who was never elected in the first place? God, these ppl are dumb!

I'm voting for Herby and his weapon of mass distraction.

Pony- Nice tits!

17. ponybilt

ponybilt Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I love the bumper stickers, "Defeat Bush Again." :)

And thanks, Madame, but mine aren't anywhere near as impressive as yours!

:p

18. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Yeah, but I'll look at that tomorrow and think, "Good god, what in the hell were you thinking???"

:blink: [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, me too. But what the hell.

19. jonb

Gold Member

Oh, hey, Ponybilt, that reminds me of the Anti-Bush Videogame. In one scene, it has Michael Powell (head of the FCC and Colin's son) in a fifty-foot robotic Janet Jackson with missiles firing from the nipple!

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

That depends on one's point of perspective, love.

Draft saved Draft deleted