LPSG and 'Web 2.0'

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

I tend to agree with NS, if I wanted a networking site, I would go to one. For me it begs the question of what Rob plans to do with this place.

I agree as well. I don't belong to any social networking sites because I don't like them. This is a forum and I liked it as such.

No_Strings points are valid and should not go unnoticed.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I didn't notice your friends were listed - I don't like that either.

I don't like the whole social network thing - people do that on this site anyway, amongst themselves, and don't need extra features to help them. This networking stuff isn't LPSG as I know it. :confused:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Rob first talked about these changes back when I was still a moderator.

The issues of privacy and anonymity are key here. The new features, like those on social networking sites, allow people to be contacted without permission or regard. I would rather not see that given the historical issue of unwanted contact that many members of this site have experienced, especially the women.

Additionally, most social networking sites are free. If the goal is to create a site that can pay for itself, this hardly seems the way to do it. There will always be sites that do the blogging and social networking thing and even the chatting thing better than LPSG. But there are not better sites when it comes to discussion of all things penile.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The site has been morphing into a MyBook or FaceSpace type of deal for about a year now, and it's not something I've greeted with open arms. We've even had some piglets who throw temper tantrums, then run away squealing because some of us resist that kind of change.

I have been vilified on numerous occasions lately because of my position on that very subject. Most newer members join, learn the ropes, and become valued contributors. A few, however, join expecting LPSG to be just another (yawn) MyFace or SpaceBook or RateARod, and then get pissy when more established members call them on it - and more importantly - they expect us to change our site to suit their expectations.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before I get banned for it, though. If so, then so be it. I fully intend to honor the spirit of Dr. Rock and Madame Zora.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I also miss the recent posts box.

I for one, will not relish this site being turned into a social networking site (privacy is very, very important to me). But, I do realize that at the end of the day this site belongs to Rob_E and he can do whatever he chooses to do with it.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But what of the pages and pages of suggestions did Rob implement? None. What about doing something simple like returning a PM to bliss et. al. Not done. Is this stuff really helping or is it just an attempt to add features and not really solve anything (and make some things worse)?

How on earth would you know? You haven't even been here a month! Hmmm :33:
Yes, I had wondered the same thing.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Rather than be my normal crabby old cuntish self, I am going to play. Well, I am trying to play, but for some reasons DC D, Not Punny and No S aren't coming up as members for me to ask them to be my friends.

However I am thinking as I write this that one of the effects of this will be to drive us into our own little spaces rather than to participate openly in the forum. I feel very uneasy about that. However, I still want to have more friends than anyone else, and why hasn't anyone joined my Muff Divers social? Anyone would think the place was full of Bandits. :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't notice your friends were listed - I don't like that either.

A good point ...

Some found their way onto my 'Buddy' list in honour of a principle espoused by a certain late Chinese General. As that list would now be 'public' I'd be revealing my err ... strategy, but then who would know into which camp they fell ... :33:

I'm unsold on the merits of a 'privacy/anonymity' angle. The entire site is in the public domain, pre and post change. Information that was 'private/anonymous' before still is - simply because no additional personal information has been made available.

Increased visibility doesn't change actual privacy/anonymity, only one's perception of it.

Last edited:

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Man, what a bunch of cry babies.

This isn't OUR site. It's Rob's. He can do whatever he wants to with it.

If you don't like, don't stay. No one is forcing you to be here.

I'm not a fan of facebook or myspace, either. Don't have a profile there probably never will. HOWEVER, this is Rob's site and he can evolve it however much he likes.

If you don't like the direction this seems to be going, you don't have to participate.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rather than be my normal crabby old cuntish self, I am going to play. Well, I am trying to play, but for some reasons DC D, Not Punny and No S aren't coming up as members for me to ask them to be my friends.
What in tarnation do you mean, my member is not coming up? How dare you!

Anyway, Drifterwood, will you be my friend? My special friend?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
How on earth would you know? You haven't even been here a month! Hmmm :33:

Yes, I had wondered the same thing.

WoB's been here a while - look in her post history if you want to know her old username. She's not chosen to keep it a secret.

I'm going to play the networking game for a bit too. But I rather expect I'll suck at it. (but then I do like sucking :rolleyes:)

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
What in tarnation do you mean, my member is not coming up? How dare you!

Anyway, Drifterwood, will you be my friend? My special friend?

Only if you promise to make it hurt real good :smile:

BTW - if somone leaves messages on your sort of home page thingy that you don't like, can you delete them?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Man, what a bunch of cry babies.

This isn't OUR site. It's Rob's. He can do whatever he wants to with it.

If you don't like, don't stay. No one is forcing you to be here.

I'm not a fan of facebook or myspace, either. Don't have a profile there probably never will. HOWEVER, this is Rob's site and he can evolve it however much he likes.

If you don't like the direction this seems to be going, you don't have to participate.
My goodness, I don't know about anyone else, but you certainly put me in my place.:rolleyes:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I am still in a state of confusion - so nothing new there.

I tend to agree with NS, if I wanted a networking site, I would go to one. For me it begs the question of what Rob plans to do with this place.

Also, I don't have broadband and so haven't been able to load a full page yet witho error boxes everywhere that I don't know what they are about.

My profile says how often it has been visited, but not by whom which I find somewhat creepy.

Losing the right hand new and latest threads will make it much more difficult to navigate quickly to threads in which you are or wish to be active - so very bad especially if you have a slower connection.

My guess would be that the visits to your profile that don't get named are hits from guests. Much the same way that the users online box accounts for both, but only displays members' names.

The extra navigation is a chore even at higher connection rates. I'd be curious to hear how this has affected mobile users.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The extra navigation is a chore even at higher connection rates. I'd be curious to hear how this has affected mobile users.
I noticed it too. I miss the recent posts section. My initial dismay at seeing this turn into a networking site may change when Rob adds or subtracts other features. I'll wait and see before making a judgment.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't mind the changes and haven't really experienced "the change"(s)
(I'm only young).

The Friends thing is okay, although I had an error where I clicked 'Save Changes' this morning and it didn't register but its working now.

Give peace a chance.

And by peace I mean LPSG.