Lpsg Chat 2021 - Frequently Asked Questions

LPSG Simon

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Media
The current LPSG Chat is a temporary application that we are offering to our members while we build a custom solution to replace the old Video Chat.

You can try the chat by clicking "Chat" in the main menu bar.

The Chat tool is at it's essence meant for text-based chatting, and offers many of the tools needed for members to communicate in real-time, apart from the DM functions that the site already offers. We will be adding more features such as 1-1 video and voice calls in coming days, as they become configured and adjusted for our membership's needs.

This FAQ is meant as both a feedback platform to allow the members to report bugs or shortcomings, and to suggest adjustments to the experience (within the limitations of what the current product can do for us). From the LPSG team, it will also be a place to post updates on progress as we finesse the tool and make changes.

What this version of the chat is:
  • A temporary feature that will offer some of the features that our old Video Chat used to have, while we develop a replacement.
  • A place for members to communicate in real time and come together without leaving the site to do so, independently and at any time they are on the site, without the need to schedule gatherings off-site.

What this version of the Chat is not:

• A permanent replacement for the old Video Chat (we are building a replacement for the old one that replicates that experience, and offers some improvements).
  • A replacement of the group broadcast "1-to-many" video experience, where members could watch video streams from other members with their cameras enabled (this is centrepiece of the bigger project we are developing in 2021).

What this version of the Chat can do right now:
  • Allow members to have 1-1 instant text based chat sessions with each other.
  • Allow members to participate in group text-based discussions.

What we hope this version of the Chat can offer in the near future, once configured:

• Have 1-1 video and audio calls with other members who are using the chat.
  • Have closed group video chats with other members who are using the chat.

What improvements to this Chat are on our short-list to add:
  • Faster refresh of online members, vs members who have left the chat room.
  • That the General Chat Room be the default space that members arrive at when using the chat.
  • Show your avatars from your profile pages in the chat.
  • Small changes to the layout to make things a bit simpler to find / use (there may be outside limitations to this).

What are Groups?
(Rooms are called Groups)

In this version of the chat, what used to be called Rooms are referred to as "Groups". These 2 terms can be used interchangeably for the purposes of this FAQ.

How do I find the group chat?

When you click on the chat link from the main menu bar on LPSG, you will be greeted with a message that says "Hello [Member Name]! To get started, select a user from the left tab."

You will see a list of members online to the left side of the page. At the bottom of this list, you will see a multi user icon. Click this, and you will be shown a list of Groups:

Groups Icon.png

You will see a list of rooms here. Right now there are 3:
  • LPSG Regular Chat
  • Gay Chat
  • Straight Chat
Click one of these and you will enter the room you chose.

How do I see who is online in a room?

At the top of the group chat pane, on the right, click the "3 dots" icon:
View Members 3 dots.png

From there, a menu will load, where you can see "View Members":

View Members.png

This will show a list of members in a room on the right side
group members.png

Can I make my own Group?

Yes! There are 3 kinds of group:
  • Private
  • Public
  • Password Protected
At the top of the groups list, click the pencil Icon:
make group.png

Then name your group and choose the type, as above. Click "Create Group":

new group.png

How do I see who is online?
At the bottom of the left menu, click the single user icon. A list of online members for all areas of the chat will appear: