LPSG Groups?

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I recently joined another board which has "groups." You are assinged to a group based on number of posts and length of time that you've been a member. You also have certain privileges based on these criteria. I wonder, would something like this help here at LPSG to 'control' the amount of lurkers and trolls who sometimes come out to wreak havoc? During the recent chatroom trouble, someone mentioned something along these lines (of giving less privileges to people who've not posted very much), which, along with my own experience at this other site, got me thinking about this.

Would assigning us into groups, and limiting our priviliges based on these groups, be helpful here? I'm sure this feature exists here? I mean, I've certainly seen the "_____ does not belong to any public groups" box in my own, and everyone else's, profile here.

BTW, the privileges that this other site gives based on these criteria are: longer editing times the higher up you go, more, and longer, access to certain 'priviliged' areas (gallery, chat, etc), less ability to start threads when you're still new, and more PM space. Although, their gallery does not contain nudity, it is simply pictures submitted by the members on the group's subject matter, or of themselves. And it is free to all members, not like here, at LPSG.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't think that type of elitism is the way to go. Quality rarely goes hand in hand with quantity. IMHO, it seems that would encourage more twits to enter mindless posts to get to the magic threshold.

if it ain't broke...

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I don't think that type of elitism is the way to go. Quality rarely goes hand in hand with quantity. IMHO, it seems that would encourage more twits to enter mindless posts to get to the magic threshold.

if it ain't broke...
LOL! That's what I've been doing there!:biggrin: (And here)!:redface::tongue:

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

if it ain't broke...

And we Don't have twits entering mindless posts now ?????? :biggrin1:

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Or we could just start a subgroup of the "largely ignored" or the posters considered "bothersome" and live amongst ourselves..:rolleyes: :biggrin1:

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
IMHO, it seems that would encourage more twits to enter mindless posts to get to the magic threshold.

That's what I was going to say at first, but then I thought if anyone posted anything too outrageous, we could just ban them.

But, then again, this would, essentially, just create more work for the mods.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

if it ain't broke...
Yes. It would do more harm then good. To include or exclude someone would go against what this site is about, which is everybody is welcome..............:cool:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I recently joined another board which has "groups." You are assinged to a group based on number of posts and length of time that you've been a member. You also have certain privileges based on these criteria. I wonder, would something like this help here at LPSG to 'control' the amount of lurkers and trolls who sometimes come out to wreak havoc? During the recent chatroom trouble, someone mentioned something along these lines (of giving less privileges to people who've not posted very much), which, along with my own experience at this other site, got me thinking about this.

Would assigning us into groups, and limiting our priviliges based on these groups, be helpful here? I'm sure this feature exists here? I mean, I've certainly seen the "_____ does not belong to any public groups" box in my own, and everyone else's, profile here.

BTW, the privileges that this other site gives based on these criteria are: longer editing times the higher up you go, more, and longer, access to certain 'priviliged' areas (gallery, chat, etc), less ability to start threads when you're still new, and more PM space. Although, their gallery does not contain nudity, it is simply pictures submitted by the members on the group's subject matter, or of themselves. And it is free to all members, not like here, at LPSG.

I appreciate the idea for controlling trolls but we also have a number of new people who conduct themselves well and have much to offer, I wouldn't want to see them censored just for being new. We also have longstanding members who will go off on rampages and I wouldn't like to see that occur more frequently because they feel protected by some sort of "tenure". Even if this were to become a popular idea it would require a nightmare of programming for RobE.

That sounds like it might help, but what about the people
that Pay for a gold membership ?

Good question.

if it ain't broke...

Good answer. Money can't buy respect, nor should it.

Or we could just start a subgroup of the "largely ignored" or the posters considered "bothersome" and live amongst ourselves..:rolleyes: :biggrin1:

Don't be silly, you're neither ignored nor bothersome.

That's what I was going to say at first, but then I thought if anyone posted anything too outrageous, we could just ban them.

But, then again, this would, essentially, just create more work for the mods.

Yes it would. I'm partial to avoiding that.

Yes. It would do more harm then good. To include or exclude someone would go against what this site is about, which is everybody is welcome..............:cool:

Thank you, I completely agree. We might get some freaky newbies around here but I don't find it to be a big enough issue to warrant a complete overhaul. Besides, as well as the irritation, they also provide us with entertainment.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It makes me think of scouts or guides where badges are earned for fulfilling certain tasks or achievements. Icons could be added to the member's profile below the avatar.

Number of grievous typos or grammar sins = Icon with corresponding ass lashings by alex8

Multiples of 1000 posts = an accompanying post whore emeritus icon

Fucktard of the month = newly ripped asshole icon administered by ? (who else)

Gallery hits / highest ratings = Mr Hawtsome or Ms Hawtsome awards

Video hits / highest ratings = Wanker d'Or award

Fleshpile of the month = administered by Vinny

Death Row = hangman icon for those with two bans and waiting for that 3rd strike (forget that, it just rewards bad behaviour)

Thread killer = the kiss of death icon

There would be no perks other than pride of ownership. Or a poke of humiliation.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I appreciate the idea for controlling trolls but we also have a number of new people who conduct themselves well and have much to offer, I wouldn't want to see them censored just for being new. We also have longstanding members who will go off on rampages and I wouldn't like to see that occur more frequently because they feel protected by some sort of "tenure". Even if this were to become a popular idea it would require a nightmare of programming for RobE.

Good question.

Good answer. Money can't buy respect, nor should it.

Don't be silly, you're neither ignored nor bothersome.

Yes it would. I'm partial to avoiding that.

Thank you, I completely agree. We might get some freaky newbies around here but I don't find it to be a big enough issue to warrant a complete overhaul. Besides, as well as the irritation, they also provide us with entertainment.
Thank you Gillette. It's great to have a Mods point of view. While I don't really like having limited privileges at the other site, I really don't find it all that bothersome. I certainly don't feel like a second class poster there.

Don't get me wrong, I love LPSG in its current form. And we all know what makes LPSG special! I've not had enough experience at that site to say whether it is a better or worse system than the one here. I was just wondering aloud whether something like this might help here.

And you'd know better than I as to whether it would create more work for you Mods, but I think it is mostly an automatic thing related to coding. Which means it probably would be harder for Rob_E. It's sort of like the Gold Membership system here, I think: If you have one, you have access to full size gallery pics. If you don't, you don't have access. (Well, most of the time, anyway)!:wink::biggrin: The same would apply to any other privileges set aside for certain members, I would imagine.

Anyway, it is only the third message board I've ever joined, and it is my second favorite, so far. I've only made ten posts there, so I have a long way to go.:biggrin: I spend most of my internet time at LPSG, anyway, so I don't really aspire to having full privileges there. That board is just related to a passion of mine, which is why it has struck my interest.

Rawbone8, thank you for the kind comment!:smile:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...Would assigning us into groups, and limiting our priviliges based on these groups, be helpful here? I'm sure this feature exists here? I mean, I've certainly seen the "_____ does not belong to any public groups" box in my own, and everyone else's, profile here.

Personally, I think this idea is like begging for even more problematic trolls.

And I have wondered myself, what purpose does the "Group Memberships" feature serve, in our profiles, as there doesn't seem to be a way of starting a "Group". I assume it is meant for "interests" groups, like, say: "Gay Republicans That REALLY Need A Good Butt-Fucking", for instance.

:wink:_Onan

zgrog2000

Experimental Member
Media
I've been a member of this group for a couple of years now. This is my 101st post. I think that I'm labeled a "lurker." I prefer to label myself a reader. I enjoy reading the various posts, the intelligence of many of the members, the wit, sarcasm, and varied interests and standpoints. While i find that I disagree with many of the politically oriented posts, I still enjoy reading them. I don't like the troll posts, the self promotional posts, and the poorly veiled attempts at advertising posts, but those are a small portion of the overall traffic on this forum.

I pay money to be a member because i want to make sure that this forum is maintained and appreciate it. Similar to donating to National Public Radio in the United States. I value freedom of speech and open public discussion of a variety of topics. I don't think that assigning privilege based on number of posts would benefit the forum.

The concept of a personal attack in an anonymous environment (for those who choose anonymity) is interesting. Everyone here is familiar with stereotypical hate, prejudice, phobia, and rude behavior. It is part of human nature and will never be eradicated. Sometimes it is best to just ignore it. But if it makes you feel good to attack the attacker via written communication in this somewhat anonymous means of communication, go for it.

I prefer to keep my own counsel and enjoy reading the verbal sparring and infrequent fighting. It's great social commentary.