LPSG Spotlight: DeeBlackthorne

D_Dick_Dock_Doe

Account Disabled
Media
Enough with the spotlight on me...I'd much rather learn some more about a guy who I have come to really admire and respect on LPSG, and his name is: DeeBlackthorne.

I'll start the thread off with some questions:

1. Was there anything in particular that happened in your life that lead you to take the course of study you are currently pursuing? (Perhaps you should explain what you're studying before going in depth.)

2. Is there a fantasy that you have yet to fulfill? If so, what is it?

3. If you had the chance to move anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

4. The Simpsons or Family Guy?

5. Steak, chicken, or fish?

6. Warm tropics or cool ski country?

7. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

8. What most annoys you about the current state of politics in the U.S.?

9. If there was one Federal law you could pass this year, what would it be and why?

10. Did you know that the bird is the word? :cool:

D

deleted3782

As one of LPSG's longest-term members (are you the longest-term?), what are your top three perspectives of this site for the rest of us to ponder?

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
From Giozam:

1. Was there anything in particular that happened in your life that lead you to take the course of study you are currently pursuing? (Perhaps you should explain what you're studying before going in depth.)

It has been a long quest to get that figured out; that's for sure. I had grown up thinking I wanted to be a doctor, so I started off in pre-medicine. Highly competitive, what with me having to actually work jobs for money in addition to a weed-out system, plus I broke too many test tubes. I hated it, so I stopped by, and I ventured into the humanities and social sciences because I had heard a number of favorable things from my friends who were majors.

I wound up with a degree in philosophy and sociology. My career counselor was super-smart, said I needed to market my skills to open up more doorways. I took the Meyers-Briggs; it said counseling was a good option. Went into it for a Master's, worked in the field for three years. I loved my work, but I couldn't love it through the start of a state budget crisis. I finished and opportunities evaporated. In hindsight, I should have put my pride away and taken the $20K job at the nonprofit I worked at during my program. Maybe even then I would have still floundered; Lexington wasn't cheap. I cobbled together three jobs at one point, found that I could only sleep on Saturdays, and said, "Something's got to change."

I have misgivings now, but leaving Kentucky was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. I'm pursuing a Ph.D. in sociology because one of my supervisors told me that the myopia of therapy isn't good enough for me. The Nest [my nonprofit] kept it real. You can't focus on communication skills if the lights are turned off every couple of months. So I'm hoping to find that systemic fix... someday.

2. Is there a fantasy that you have yet to fulfill? If so, what is it?

Ha ha, this sounds sexual to me. I'll have to think on that a little bit more. Honestly, though, my fantasy is simply to possess economic comfort. As much as I like having money, I don't need a lot. Just enough to hold down bills, help set up my mom and my sister, and to kill off my debts.

3. If you had the chance to move anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Geez, good question. Honestly, I could see myself retiring in Greece (provided they get that international debt thing under control). I would just love to relax and kick back in my homeland, admiring the cool blue of the sea, keeping the house opened up all day, and enjoying some of the best marine cuisine.

4. The Simpsons or Family Guy?

Family Guy, hands down.

5. Steak, chicken, or fish?

I'm a red meat kind of man. Fuck an increased risk of colon cancer.

6. Warm tropics or cool ski country?

The tropics. I don't need to ski or snowboard, and though I like wearing a nice sweater every now and then, I could do without.

7. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I wouldn't mind being a little taller. I know I'm slightly taller than average, but most of my guy friends out-height me.

8. What most annoys you about the current state of politics in the U.S.?

I know I'm not the greatest liar either, but politicians are absolutely, completely terrible at it. I think the worst lie that politicians tend to peddle is this idea that they really are concerned about their constituents, that they're keyed in to what's important to the people. But if you look at their voting decisions and their ties to large lobbying industries, their votes are the most consistent with those interests.

A close second annoyance would be a demonstrable lack of knowledge, foresight, and perception about the issues. Very few politicians appear to be well-read or well-researched about policy reform, and they are just as dependent on the sound bites as the American population.

9. If there was one Federal law you could pass this year, what would it be and why?

Public-option health care or bust since health issues tend to bankrupt even the most financially stable families.

10. Did you know that the bird is the word?

Funny, my analysis shows that bird is equal to or less than the word.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
From exwhyzee:

As one of LPSG's longest-term members (are you the longest-term?), what are your top three perspectives of this site for the rest of us to ponder?

The first perspective is more of a warning. Don't let this site envelop you. I'm serious. This place is very alluring and it easily draws people in, so much so that the relationships and drama and politics here easily spill over offline. I have to remind myself every so often that, despite how long I've been a member here, this site is just one of many pit-stops on the Internet. In fact, sad to say, I'm a creature of habit who surfs maybe ten sites a week, this being one of the most frequently visited. I would challenge people to find other Internet forums that they feel just as passionate in participating.

The second perspective is to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism. The Internet is a place where, ultimately, anyone can be who they want. Some of the more charismatic misrepresentations drew people in to such an extent that it absolutely clouded what would otherwise be solid faculties of judgment and discernment. Forget the fake pictures for a moment. I think those are easily sniffed out. You know, when you talk to someone, feel them out. I don't think you have to keep an investigator's log of the facts and then cut someone out as soon as something contradicts. (Hell, measurements fluctuate, don't they?) I suppose it's unfair because I've got a pretty good sense of intuition. But you too have that gift. Just listen. Hear the other person, accept what you hear, but recognize how easily others can lead you astray.

Besides, there can't be that many ten-inchers in the world.

Finally, a good note: I think this site is underestimated in just how much good information there is to share. I came to the site because a girlfriend had told me my dick was too big, and I knew that average-sized condoms would often break on me. I stuck around because people weren't just cool, but rather they could really open my eyes and get me hip to things I just wasn't thinking about it. I spent the bulk of this message harping on skepticism and maintaining distance, but that comes with an equal part of knowledge of knowing what's good and who's good.

I have real friends here -- the people that I call when I'm upset or need advice or reassurance. I have friends that are knowledgeable of the fairer sex, whether it's advice on how to treat a woman with dignity and respect or trying out a new position that really stimulates her. My heart gods and my sex gods have not steered me wrong thus far, and I respect their input.

Don't underestimate this. I find the most valuable entries come from people who just open up and let us know what life's been like for them, sexually or otherwise.

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
Ive been away for a while, but its cool to see that the spotlight hasn't dimmed. Congrats Dee....you deserve it. Some questions for you:

-What motivates you to get through each day?
-Has anyone inspired you during your life? If so how has this made you a better person?
-Favorite food?
-Favorite position (yeah I had to go there hehe)
-Favorite hobby?
-Least favorite chore?

By the way, I loved the advise you gave about the site. I have seen so many people get caught up in it and then try to be someone that they are not!! Like you I try not to be a detective, but I have a healthy dose of skepticism.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
From Drifterwood:

The Afon Dyfrdwy (River Dee) is close to my heart. Do you have a connection?

I've never heard of it (let alone how so many consonants represents the word "Dee"), so that's a no. Dee is short for Dionysius, the Greek god of wine.

From rico27:

What motivates you to get through each day?

Honestly, it boils down to getting out of here, being the best scholar I can be, loving my craft, and trying to earn a decent wage to show for it. I am not lamentful or sad about how my life has turned out, but now that I'm hitting my 30s, I have a new appreciation for getting things done and making sure I'm on the right track. In the immediate future, my goal is simply to get the hell out of here and tack on that "Dr." next to my name. It will be a huge milestone for me, and now that my mom is aging, I would love for her to see that success in my life.

Has anyone inspired you during your life? If so how has this made you a better person?

Family has been the strongest inspiration for me. Even though my mother could not provide much in the way of financial help, she was always my strongest supporter and cheerleader. It was her constant encouragement that lead me to challenge myself, and even when I failed at things, she always assured me that doing my best was worth it and to not give up.

I took my great-grandmother's name a couple of years ago. That was also a huge deal for me because I had heard all these stories about her being this incredibly rich woman who was supposed to marry a politician or supposed to retain the aristocracy or supposed to do all these other things, but that in reality she let her heart lead her where she wanted to go. She really broke a lot of molds in our family: marrying someone outside of her social class, marrying an otherwise denigrated southerner in Greece, giving away her money instead of being selfish with it. During World War II and toward the end of her life, she took in all the children whose parents had been killed, and though futile, she just kept taking in children and kept feeding people and gave and gave and gave until there was nothing left.

That is respectable beyond any comprehension to me, and I think it has stoked that sense of stewardship and caretaking and responsibility-taking in the face of adversity for me.

Favorite food?

There's a lot of them, but steak, fresh fruit, and leafy greens rank high up there. Oh, and fried porkchops, collard greens, homemade mac 'n cheese. And pretty much anything Greek.

Favorite position (yeah I had to go there hehe):

Cowgirl, standard or reverse. Let 'er ride!

Favorite hobby?

I don't think I'll ever give up video games, but I also enjoy volleyball and writing quite a bit too. Gee, I suck at having one favorite...

Least favorite chore?

Bathroom cleaning.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Where might one start looking my good gentleman?

Just do searches for that stuff on the Internet. Whatever it is plus the word "forum," e.g. gaming forum, writing forum, etc. You could also go to a place like Meetup.com and get a membership there and then hunt down locals who are into the stuff you're into too.

That said, this place is probably top-notch for its sense of communities. There are many, many members here and there are tons of places to post stuff. I wish the same could be said for other sites; then again, I know I haven't tried hard enough to immerse in them either.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your name came up recently in a PM to me... in regard to thoughts of starting an LPSG book club. What is the best book you have ever read? If you were to write a book what story would you tell? Any interest in taking part in an LPSG book club?

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
From nudeyorker:

What is the best book you have ever read? If you were to write a book what story would you tell? Any interest in taking part in an LPSG book club?

Hmmmm, the last book I recall not being able to put down was House of Leaves. It was a very psychologically compelling thriller and a solid frame story. I took it with me to a Jane Austen conference, and I stayed up late a few nights getting through it.

Don't know what I would write, but I definitely prefer non-fiction. Fiction has lost its utility -- escapism -- for me. Not that I haven't read some good fiction over the years, but I see a strong connection between reading and learning. So whether it's factual material on a given theory or a compelling case study, that's what I will pluck off the shelf. Incidentally, there were two books on sale about religion and politics at the local bookstore, so I'll get through those when I have some spare time.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get that enthralled about reading now because I spend a lot of spare time reading research pieces, looking up stuff for my thesis, and so on. I probably would make a poor participant in a book club, but I trust that that's only a temporary thing. Good luck with it, though; keep me posted.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dee,

I cant think of anything to ask you. I just want to say that I think you are a stellar young man and am so thrilled by your dedication, brilliance and ability to navigate many of the rough waters you encounter and come out triumphant and very much with your good humor intact. I greatly look forward to the day when I can call you Dr. Dee. YOu do your mama proud!