"LPSG stats" redundant?

niner: Is it just me, or do you find that the "LPSG stats" thread is redundant and mostly pointless now?

It's 21 pages (which nobody in their right mind reads through anyway) and while it's an okay icebreaker, it's pages and pages of people tooting their own horn, or other pointless banter.

I mean, half the people's signatures have their size in it, and when they don't they mention it in other posts... I just don't understand why the thread is still running.. it's past its prime.

Just something I've been thinking every time I check this section, how there's always new additions but how few people probably read them. May just be me, though. I'll shut up now.

canamrock: Redundant? Not really. "ATM Machine" is redundant. The thread is just bloated, so to speak. I don't want to put my size in my sig, but it's there in the LPSG Stats thread if someone wants to find out.

mindseye: [quote author=canamrock link=board=meetgreet;num=1073021595;start=0#1 date=01/01/04 at 23:57:59]"ATM Machine" is redundant.[/quote]

Not so, but I can understand why people think that. Yes, it's true that the "M" in "ATM" comes from the word "machine", and that if the acronym were pronounced fully, the phrase would read "Automatic Teller Machine Machine".

But, the acronym isn't pronounced fully, and this is why it's not redundant. In its collapsed form, "ATM" functions gramatically as an adjective. (e.g. "I could use my ATM card to make an ATM transaction on another bank's ATM network, for which I might incur ATM fees.")

And, given that "ATM" is functionally an adjective, what if you actually want to talk about the thing? You could be pedantic and say "an ATM", but it sounds as unfinished as "a blue" or "three happy".

Completing the thought by saying "an ATM machine" isn't redundant because the acronym "ATM" is an adjective, and the word "machine" is a noun.

canamrock: So it's okay to say "CD Disc"? I get what you mean, but ATM is still a noun, even though its adjective form is the same.

Anyways, I doubt niner wanted this thread to be a grammar lesson. We can take this somewhere else I'm sure. Out back by the dumpsters? Isn't that how fight clubs are formed? Ah, well, good night.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=mindseye link=board=meetgreet;num=1073021595;start=0#2 date=01/02/04 at 00:32:30]You could be pedantic and say "an ATM", but it sounds as unfinished as "a blue" or "three happy".  
[/quote]

"I need to find an ATM." "Let me get some money from the ATM." I say such things often. It doesn't sound 'unfinished' to me.

Donk: [quote author=canamrock link=board=meetgreet;num=1073021595;start=0#1 date=01/01/04 at 23:57:59]Redundant? Not really. "ATM Machine" is redundant. The thread is just bloated, so to speak. I don't want to put my size in my sig, but it's there in the LPSG Stats thread if someone wants to find out.[/quote]

I agree with you on everything here, including the preference not to put my size in my sig (though, if one reads closely, one can figure out that it does communicate the length). I really get annoyed with people who go up to an "ATM machine" and enter a "PIN number." Another one that I see cropping up all the time lately--"Please R.S.V.P." (think about it).

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Our "Fictitious Stories" board is another pretty good instance.

"Fiction" would do for me. Or is this the syntactical influence of the US president?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
VIN number
SAT test
START treaty
HIV virus
ISBN number
OPEC country
LCD display
LED light
A.M. in the morning
ABM missle
AC current
DOS operating system
LPSG group

;D

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Ummmmm... guys?  Why are we discussing grammar again?

Niner wrote:
"I mean, half the people's signatures have their size in it, and when they don't they mention it in other posts... I just don't understand why the thread is still running...; it's past its prime."
 -- emphasis added

The rest of you have ventured into an English lesson; Canamrock just said that the thread is "bloated."  But I still don't think we're acknowledging the guy's original point.

Granted, I think it's really cumbersome to sift through all those pages to get at a dick size. It's so much easier (unless maybe you have a slow Internet connection) to look up a user whose size interests you, and search his post history for some measurements. I don't have too much a problem with it being permanently tacked onto the top of the Meet and Greet section.

I think the thread is still running because, perhaps, it seems most appropriate to post your stats first and then start in on the other topics -- like a gateway to the LPSG thread. You introduce yourself, state your dick size -- read on, write on.

Of course, I think there are plenty of people around here who are pretty indifferent or casual toward dick size. Nine times out of ten, I really don't care about what anyone's packing. If you say something cool or provocative, or you provide helpful advice, or in some small way you reach out to provide a friendly ear or some positive affirmation... that's more important. For as long as LPSG has been around, some people come for the dicks, but stick around for the wisdom to be taken here.

Just remember -- not everybody's here to soak up extraneous dick information. The LPSG stats thread is a reference list; though it's antiquated and cumbersome and it's easy to get lost in all that "information," it's just there. Let it be.

niner: so I leave for 24 hours and think to myself 'I wonder if anyone's responded?', only to find that my message sparked a debate on the misuse of acronyms...

I'm not saying that the post's necessarily useless, but I do think that it's past its prime, and that if anyone's not willing to mention it in a post, they're certainly not going to mention it in a 21-page long thread devoted to it.

Perhaps they should just put an option in the Profile where you can put your size and leave it at that?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It's too bad that the board doesn't have a database that would allow the LPSG Stats to be alphabetized.

There is such a database at the Yahoo Group (go to the group and click on the Database button in the list on the left of the home screen). It's not up-to-date because not many guys have added their stats to it since I posted it several months ago.

At any rate, as bulky and as inconvenient as the LPSG Stats in Meet and Greet is, it's still nice to have it as a way to introduce ourselves to the board.

Maybe someday when Mindseye ( ;) ) has the time he'll go through the list and eliminate those who've left the board and are no longer registered. :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1073021595;start=0#10 date=01/02/04 at 17:39:41]Maybe someday when Mindseye (  ;) ) has the time he'll go through the list and eliminate those who've left the board and are no longer registered.  :D[/quote]

I have time, and as a moderator I have the ability to delete posts. I'll check with Mark; if it's okay with him, I'll prune the Stats thread of inactive users and off-topic posts there to make it a little less unwieldy.

canamrock: I tried, but I couldn't find any place it would fit!

Maybe we need more 'stats' in the profile besides age and location?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I think Mark is refering to the Personal Text or Signature in our Profiles.

I'm going to fool around with mine and see what comes up. ;)

Max

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=meetgreet;num=1073021595;start=0#13 date=01/02/04 at 22:00:36]Guys -

For now on, please post your stats in your profile.  That way, everyone will know your size every time you post.   ;D Mark[/quote]

It goes against the grain, for me ... a bit too much like advertising. Especially for us understated Brits.

But (within reason) .. I always do what I am told ;)

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
The "personal text" area seems ideal for this info...quick, easy to "catch" and is immediately identifiable with the member's name.

For the record, I feel as though I'm "boasting" as I entered my info today, but I can see that referencing this might prove useful. I've had several occasions when, upon responding to a question, I have wondered just where the (inquiring) forum participant was coming from in his particular view or concern--"just how big is he... to feel this way, or be asking this?"

I suppose being able to know such statistical stuff might be okay. However, like some others here have already expressed, I don't necessarily HAVE to know! ;)