LPSG Straw Poll

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Industrialsize, Oct 25, 2011.

?

Who do you support in the Republican Primary?

1. Michele Bachmann

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Herman Cain

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Newt Gingrich

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Jon Huntsman

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Gary Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ron Paul

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Rick Perry

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. Mitt Romney

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  9. Rick Santorum

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Everyone else is having straw polls. It's time to see who wins the LPSG Straw Poll.

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mitt.

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    As a LIBERAL Democrat, I went with Huntsman.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had to Google Gary Johnson: not very impressive nor very presidential, either.

If we can't do "none of the above" then I guess I'd concur with Huntsman. He's the least crazy of the sordid bunch.

5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know of Huntsman or Johnson, so Romney seemed like the least bad option. :p
    Especially since there's no Palin comedy-option anymore. :(

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Believe me, there's plenty of crazy-comedy to go around. Bachmann, Santorum, Perry and Cain are all trying to out-crazy each other. Gingrich is almost alternate-universe crazy. Paul will always poll high but never gets the votes he seems to be promised in opinion polls.

Romney is a classic empty suit. I remember when he first ran (unsuccessfully) for Ted Kennedy's senate seat in the mid-90s. He ran an ad on TV showing some of the worst slums of Boston (all, unsurprisingly majority African-American), calling it "Kennedy Country". I was casually dating a guy at the time who looked enough like him to be mistaken for him, and he was frequently confronted and mocked, especially in bars.

His positions have swung like a weather vane, as he panders to whatever demographic most likely to elect him. He's a tough sell to the Tea Party and other members of the GOP base because he can be seen on YouTube speaking positively about gun control, gay rights, abortion rights, etc. They don't trust him; besides, his plan for universal health care in Massachusetts became the major pattern out of which Obama's plan was based. And you guessed it, there are plenty of videos of him claiming to support implementing his plan nationwide, despite saying he'd repeal as much of it as he could during the recent debates.

He quite literally changes major policy opinions depending on who he thinks is listening. There's a reason why, though he's the acknowledged front-runner, Republicans are drifting around to flavors-of-the-month like Bachmann, Perry and now Cane: the base can't stand him and Fundamentalists (including some tied to Perry) are questioning whether or not Mormonism is any form of Christianity.

Huntsman is truly conservative (both "c" and "C"), but his somewhat moderate stand on social issues dooms him this cycle. It also really hurts him that he's Obama's former Ambassador to China. He's also a Mormon, which, again, makes him vulnerable to charges that he's not Christian.

NB: I am repeating things I've read repeatedly online. My own stance is that there should be no litmus test regarding religion of any sort for any political office in the US, and I haven't enough first-hand knowledge of the Mormon church to judge its relative adherence to Christian scripture or practice, at any rate. MLB does; maybe he'll weigh in on this specific issue.

7. TheFree

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Jon Huntsman

8. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

The bendy straw... it was a close contest, but the crazy straw is just too impractical.

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Oh, please. Who couldn't love Crazy-Eyes Bachmann?!

10. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Which one is most likely to make you want to move out of the US if elected?

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I am sworn to Condoleezza.

12. midlifebear

Gold Member

As most LPSGers know, I consider mormons stranger than 600 sheep . . . having grown up in a mostly HUGE extended mormon family some of whom still practice polygamy. One thing that surprises mormons is that others don't consider them christians. Mormons think they are christians and are happy to talk to everyone about it. Mormons also like to play on how hard they have it in the world, being picked on and bullied by the "other" christians and religions in the world. The way they retell their revisionist history you'd think they walked in the desert for 40 years after escaping slavery by walking through a parted Red Sea. Weird. And they love to make up stories about themselves. See: Three Nephites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. OOOOOOOOOOooooooooo . . . spooooky.

However, the friends who I still know and keep in touch with who live behind The Zion Curtain (mormons believe Ewetaw to be the New Zion) were dismayed when Huntsman was appropriated by Obama as US Ambassador to China. The majority of Ewetaw had, for once, agreed to vote for a mormon "progressive" who could walk and chew gum and also had more money than the deep pockets that usually support the Republican candidate for, well . . . any office in that State. He was supportive of the GLTB community, ignored Senator for life Borin' Orrin Hatch and had a bunch of Democrats for relatives. It looked as though Ewetaw might, under Huntsman's watch, progress past 1957.
    And the mixed (and often bipolar) population of Salt Lick City LOVED him.

I would say Huntsman is about as much of a Republican as Obama is a Democrat. Who knows? Maybe he still has a chance.

But Obama has yet to piss me off. So I still plan on voting for the big O. Friends don't let friends stop taking their medication and vote Republican.

13. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Quote of the day: Friends don't let friends stop taking their medication and vote Republican.

You Rock Midlifebear!

14. Channelwood

Channelwood New Member

Huntsman is the only sane choice. The rest are complete idiots, anti-science, and liars.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I want to show her my Anaconda. Didn't Jack Straw take her to see a Blackburn Rovers match? hehehe.

Sort of sounds like he has the right ideas (if I'm understanding you correctly - pro-universal healthcare, gun control, gay rights, etc?). But not the bottle to stand up for them.

Huntsman sounds ok I guess - but too low profile? Bachmann fills me with horror, and slight amusement. ;)

Not sure why religion plays such a huge part over there? Not keen on Mormonism myself, but if the person was right for the job, then nevermind.

Cheers for the detailed answer Bbucko. :D

16. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To early to tell. Ask me at a later date.

17. midlifebear

Gold Member

In this litter of GOP contendahs, I agree.

"I could a been a contendah . . . a somebody!"

18. dazedandconfused

Why is Paul crazy?

19. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll take Newt for the fun of it.

20. hot-rod

Gold Member

Anyone of this crowd would be enough to make me want to almost give up on our country. I don't think the American people will vote for anyone that would take us back to the Bush and Cheney days. Republicans are finished for quite a while.....:banana:

Draft saved Draft deleted