LPSG - style or substance?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ethyl, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Discussed this with another member and she mentioned what a "meatmarket" this site has become as of late. I've noticed the rampant nastiness towards others, lack of compassion, and general negativity. I've read/heard comments about the dearth of interesting or compelling threads in Et Cetera Et Cetera. What do you think?

This thread is not meant to point the finger at certain posters but to faciliate discussion. Have you noticed any of these or other things and what should be done?

2. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

I've always been a sarcastic person who mocks other people on internet forums

I enjoy it

3. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:

Then you have your reward.

4. dong20

Gold Member

Lately, I'd say it's lacking both. As you know, 'we' have been here before.

This seems to be a cyclical thing. As for what can be done; I ignore the fluff and aim to avoid being drawn into arguments other than those on topic - even it that 'topic' is at a variance with the thread topic - (after all, these things do happen). Mostly, I think I suceed at both. Like most things if you ignore them, eventually they fade. If they don't, I just tune them out.

On the compassion/negativity/meatmarket thing. Well, these have never been significant factors in my 'contributions' here, either in the giving or receiving and I've never understood how people can take online insults in an online big willy forum personally - but then of course I can only speak to my own (in)sensitivity.:wink:

5. D_golden parachute

Exactly what I think

it's just one big joke to me

6. invisibleman

Gold Member

I think that this isn't the only forum and site that I have experienced the adverse shading of flames. I feel that people are going through a lot of personal changes in their lives. There seems to be a focus of negativity. A sense of anomie. Apathy. Hatred for the fellow man and woman. Hatred for their lives.

I think that people have lost their minds in these times. I don't hate anybody. I am here to offer a serious light and a comedic light to things at times.

I have noticed that some feel it is okay to be hateful towards each other. (Or maybe they don't perceive themselves as hating...:smile:)

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Yes you are right. There are however many nice people on here. So i come on mainly to keep in contact with them.

8. Northland

Gold Member

Being extremely new here, I can't say how much change has taken place; although, browsing over old posts I can see there has been some. That said, I am reminded that this is a message board and that these things change in feel over time. There is a general move in one direction and then it moves back towards what made the site enjoyable at the start. Some of the threads which I've encountered have been lengthy back and forths on former members (Madame Cora, Lex, Jeff Black and Big Dirigible spring instantly to mind). Some are glad they are gone and scream it loudly, others are saddened and seem to feel intimidated when expressing their views as the volley of vitriol which is returned to them is brutal.

On boards which have been my hangouts in the past, I have noticed the many mean-spirited individuals eventually leave. Some are asked to leave or are denied access, some get bored with their behavior and some become bored when nobody responds to their tirades. Unfortunately many decent persons leave before the difficult members decide to leave, which would add to the downward pull of feeling on the board.

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I enjoyed my thread in Relationships...

And I like what I like. I haven't noticed much negativity. Haven't noticed many quality of thoughtful threads either. Such is the way of things.

10. dong20

Gold Member

Well yes, but surely there is a difference between not being offended by online insults and using online insults as a means of deriving enjoyment. Isn't there?

To me, the former suggests over sensitivity, questionable perspective and (perhaps) low confidence; the latter suggests a more fundamental underlying lack of self esteem, and quite possibly a selection of other interpersonal issues.

Just my 2p.:biggrin1:

11. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Some members were mean to me with their posts. Tha's why i decided not to post threads in a while but is my fault too because the tonne of some my threads. The next time i will be more carefull in the way the thread is addressed.

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

"LPSG - style or substance?" I would say, yes - almost certainly :tongue:

The more things change the more they stay the same...

13. D_golden parachute

You can look into it like that

I had a lengthy discussion with someone who was adamant I was doing all my online mocking as a result of some childhood trauma or bullying.

it just really makes me laugh, it's like I can say things I would never say in real life and not care about the reaction, I make myself laugh a lot :biggrin1:

However what i say is never really overly mean it's just like a sarcastic comment or something

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Substances. And a lot of what the invisible one said.

I have found myself not posting on certain threads for the reasons you mention Mercurial.

15. snoozan

Gold Member

why is it okay to treat people like shit online and not in real life? because you don't have to be held personally accountable? that's pretty lame.

16. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

I agree, although I've only been here for about a month so I can't specifically comment on whether or not things are better/worse than before. Alot of posters seem to enjoy bashing others or go to great lengths to make there negative points known. Can't just make a post and move on, gotta keep coming back to drill it. Overkill if you ask me.

While I won't speculate as to whether or not it's the nature of the site and the people interested in this niche, it's definitely unnecessary. There's a difference between having an opposing viewpoint and being a dick. Too many dicks on this site.

17. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

People just have to remember there is a real person on the other end, some people just dont care, which is sad!

18. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Oh fuck off, you jizz bucket!!

:rolleyes:

*sorry*

19. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

Most people in this site are nice.

I only encounter few jerks here.

20. Drifterwood

Gold Member

There was of course a mass migration and reduced posting output from many of the site's over 40's. I wonder if we miss their wise heads?

Draft saved Draft deleted