LPSG - style or substance?

It's much like a great bar that only a handful of regulars know about until it suddenly becomes popular. Imagine what the regulars at the Bull & Finch had to go through when Cheers suddenly became a hit. You might leave your purse on the bar before when you went to the ladies but not any more. There are some assholes who have shown-up to peddle whatever shit they feel they need to sling and honestly, the sign on the door: Large Penis Support Group, doesn't exactly foster lofty thoughts of intelligent discussion. Really, when you first wandered in did you imagine you would find the quality of people that you did?

I love LPSG for the wonderful people it has brought into my life and without them I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. So many people have taken an interest in me and shown me that I'm worth something. I can't do that in real life as I feel I cannot be as open an honest as I am here so the person people see day to day isn't the same person I am here. Here I'm really me. Sure I recognize that not everybody is and I have been the indirect recipient of some really cruel posts but I don't let that undermine the very positive qualities LPSG has.

The concerns I do share are that some very good threads are failing to pull in the numbers required for good discussion, and that Rob_E tolerates some posters who, though polite, foster enmity; trolls in Prada suits. It surely must be difficult to manage a site like this but I can't wondering if I owned it if I wouldn't just ban a few members just because they're assholes even if they don't necessarily break the rules. Might do more to foster community or cause more divisiveness.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
And age /= wisdom. All the over 40's used to do is have fleshpiles. Is that the intellectual element that is missing? Je ne pense pas! Zut alors!

This is not true. Either you missed everything else or you are being deliberately disingenuous.

I am not saying that there is no longer quality, just that you can dilute whisky to the point that it isn't worth drinking.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
just ban a few members just because they're assholes even if they don't necessarily break the rules. Might do more to foster community or cause more divisiveness.

Well - that entirely depends on one's definition of asshole, doesn't it... Look what happened last time.

I am not saying that there is no longer quality, just that you can dilute whisky to the point that it isn't worth drinking.

Whisky not worth drinking? You LIE!! :eek:

Where that analogy falls down is in the fact that you can't separate the whisky back out frome the water* but you can be selective about what you read on an Internet forum. I don't actually find it that hard to separate the chaff from the wheat here - it's as easy as mixing metaphors, in fact :biggrin1:

* OK - some pedant is going to chime in with an 'Oh yes you can' so I'd like to give an advance 'Fuck you, you know what I mean - distillation aside, asshole!' to said pedant - whoever it may be. TYVM...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MB, I think what you are lamenting is the change of the membership here at LSPG. I think it is a chronic structural problem of this site's popularity. How fun and interesting this place is depends entirely on who is here. IMO, we have lacked a critical mass of intelligent steady posters such as yourself and the handful of people that can push a discussion forward to get others to join in, reign in the assholes and control the trolls for a while now. I haven't been here long enough to know if this is cyclical but it does seem to coincide with school vacation.

It will only get worse during Thanksgiving break and Winter Break. Summer was the worst. Most of the threads here, i'd say 95% are not interesting to me. The other 5% however are. The problem these days is that, that 5% is getting harder and harder to find beneath the deluge of the other stuff. The fustration I have is that I lack the ability to tailor my experience here. I cannot turn off thread categories that I never post to or interest me. I also cannot turn off individual threads that I don't wish to reappear on my "New Post" list. As it is now, the "New Post" thread list is unmanageable and not condusive to dialog and keeping interesting threads current especially for folks who are not here every 4 hours. Those threads get lost and so do the conversations which are the heart of what makes LSPG special and intelligent. Because it is unmanagable I end up just searching for certain members posts and miss out on a lot it seems.

Why is there not a choice to freeze and hide certain categories which we never post to in the "New Posts" section? It would make it a lot easier to find and post to things we are interested in and have those worthwhile posts on top. I have to scroll and scroll now wasting time I could be posting or reading.

The membership here has gotten very young and they seem to be the dominant force in terms of QUANTITY of threads. And it is shocking looking at the thread list how many threads elicit only 2-3 responses. Those junk threads are the core of the problem here.

LSPG cannot be everything to everybody anymore with 1,500 people online at a time. People come here for different reasons. Why can't each member tailor their experience here. Why should all the Hook Ups and New Member Introductions crowd and obsure out the thread categories I use? We do in mentally ignore them anyways. I suspect most are lured by the dirty pictures. But I think they stay because they see that there is some intelligence and real support that happens here, and unfortunately,like you, I am seeing less and less of the magic these days simply because there is so much shit to wade thru to get to it. I think a boat with a rudder to steer the experience here would solve that problem of handling the growth but maintaining quality.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
IMO, we have lacked a critical mass of intelligent steady posters such as yourself and the handful of people that can push a discussion forward to get others to join in, reign in the assholes and control the trolls for a while now.

Bingo, meester logjam.
And the loss of intelligent discussion becomes a vicious circle.
Without reinforcement from respondents who put some effort into their posts, you feel any effort on your own part is bound to fall to earth, DOA.
So you don't really try ... and become part of the problem.
Time was (says the geezer) that posting could be exhilarating.
The intellectual badminton, at least at times, gave great charge and excitement to the players.
But I don't think that happens in anything like the same degree these days.
Warning: I've had a bit of pisser of a day, and I may be projecting here.:cool:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
but you can be selective about what you read on an Internet forum. I don't actually find it that hard to separate the chaff from the wheat here - it's as easy as mixing metaphors, in fact :biggrin1:...

I agree with the Earl.

Try this little experiment. Go to the etc section and click on the "replies". I know you know this, but in case anyone doesn't know, you get them listed by number (descending). Scroll through the first few pages and see how most of the top participating threads are old ones.

This doesn't mean that there aren't some great threads now, just that they get swmaped and or ruined.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bingo, meester logjam.
And the loss of intelligent discussion becomes a vicious circle.
Without reinforcement from respondents who put some effort into their posts, you feel any effort on your own part is bound to fall to earth, DOA.
So you don't really try ... and become part of the problem.
Time was (says the geezer) that posting could be exhilarating.
The intellectual badminton, at least at times, gave great charge and excitement to the players.
But I don't think that happens in anything like the same degree these days.
Warning: I've had a bit of pisser of a day, and I may be projecting here.:cool:

No, I think you are right Rubi. Out of the 1500 people here I think I only make a point to read the posts from about 15-20 posters here, you included. And having followed their posts for several months I see it exactly as you do.

Nothing stays the same and but as long as we enjoy each other's company I think we are in good shape. I do think, however, we need to do a better job at welcoming and opening conversations outside our regular familiar circle with new members and potential strong posters to the board. If you think it's a good post from a noob just say so and get them to share more of themselves. Zora did this with me and I decided to stay.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I agree with the Earl.

Try this little experiment. Go to the etc section and click on the "replies". I know you know this, but in case anyone doesn't know, you get them listed by number (descending). Scroll through the first few pages and see how most of the top participating threads are old ones.

This doesn't mean that there aren't some great threads now, just that they get swmaped and or ruined.

You're missing my point somewhat, so I'll restate it - I have no trouble finding the stuff I consider interesting here. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of chaff - but it's not that difficult to find the wheat either.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I am not missing your point Ms. P, I am countering it, by wondering how often you go to a restaurant if you have to go through five pages of mediocrity on the menu to find something worth eating.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Maybe I just ask the waiter to recommend...

Earl - No real tricks or tiops I'm afraid. I leave everything ordered by last post, keep an eye on the latest posts for titles I may have missed or posts by people I like to read. I read the OPs of a lot of threads and flick through the replies - if there is nothing that grabs me I move on. It doesn't seem to take much time. I rarely go into anywhere but Etc, and Women's unless I'm following a link in Latest Posts.

B_Jennuine73

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I first joined the site because of a friend. I can honestly say I am here for the threads, and sometimes chat.
I've only been here a couple of months and though the bitchiness gets to me sometimes, the interesting and funny topics keep me here.
I am glad to say I've made some friends and really like LPSG.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the site has massively changed from what it was a year ago, sadly. intelligent, interesting members from that time are, sadly, just not here or just not posting. if you're a latecomer to this ( the last 6 months or so) you never got to see what some of us are referring to-- and even i'm a latecomer to it myself having only joined last september.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Discussed this with another member and she mentioned what a "meatmarket" this site has become as of late. I've noticed the rampant nastiness towards others, lack of compassion, and general negativity. I've read/heard comments about the dearth of interesting or compelling threads in Et Cetera Et Cetera. What do you think?

This thread is not meant to point the finger at certain posters but to faciliate discussion. Have you noticed any of these or other things and what should be done?

Isn't this post generally negative?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Bliss: You asked the question. What do you think?

There are some members who are no longer here I miss and there are new members whose posts I enjoy. I think your point about the ever-expanding membership is valid. With so many new posters here it doesn't feel quite as cosy but that's to be expected I suppose. I love meeting new people whether in person or online. I have sensed a certain negative vibe running through the site as of late and it's affected my posts somewhat. Disagreements are welcome as far as i'm concerned. The people I don't see eye-to-eye with teach me more than those I agree with, oddly. I don't understand how some don't expect to have their opinions refuted every now and then; it happens to me all the time. :tongue:

Several mentioned creating our own threads with subject matter we find interesting, which I sometimes do. I've always been the first to say "if you don't like it, change it" but i'm only one person. I'm not one for nostalgia but I would like to see LPSG as a place where everyone can find their niche, which is why I joined a year and a half ago.

To quote MB...style and substance? Yes. There's room for both.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
the site has massively changed from what it was a year ago, sadly. intelligent, interesting members from that time are, sadly, just not here or just not posting. if you're a latecomer to this ( the last 6 months or so) you never got to see what some of us are referring to-- and even i'm a latecomer to it myself having only joined last september.

I'm afraid that the overall quality of the site will continue to decline as the number of posts increase and therefore the percentage of total posts made by me continues to dwindle. Sorry. :cool: