LPSG - style or substance?

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think there is less substance, and this may be cyclical, but I also think that the long-term trend is worrisome.

Partly, that's just a result of the great increase in membership. It's less a family now, and many of the older posters have lower profiles than before.

Perhaps because we are dealing with more strangers, there has been a fall-off in respect, I believe. I think I'm less respectful than before. (Actually, I'm a dick, sometimes.)

There's definitely less substance in the Etcetera forum.

IMO, good moderation as well as clear cut and well enforced rules are the keys to a successful board.

I've been here less than two years but it's obvious that things have been allowed to get out of control in the past and right now it seems like lpsg is just wandering in cyberspace without a mission.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
IMO, good moderation as well as clear cut and well enforced rules are the keys to a successful board.

I've been here less than two years but it's obvious that things have been allowed to get out of control in the past and right now it seems like lpsg is just wandering in cyberspace without a mission.

well, i don't know. i've been seeing some very beautiful thread like the one jumbo created about trust, men, and friendship, and then there's the "i get right off when people compliment me on my dick" kinda threads.

i would like to think that i'm a guy who's part of the LPSG regulars, but i'm sure i'm not at that point yet.

plus, there's alot of pointless bitchiness, but this only provides me with more laughter. me being an asshole caused me to meet big_en who's a pretty cool guy despite me being an asshole to him when we first...um.."met."

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

I have been at LPSG since the later part of 2002 regardless of what my joining date says. (Many of us lost posts when Mark changed servers in 2004) Yes, it was a different place then. It was smaller, the owner had different priorities, and there were not the laws in place that there are now which have caused many to feel their freedom of speech has been stifled. With the expansion of the site , Mark selling LPSG to Rob E, and other issues it was felt that expanded moderation was needed.

As long as I have been a member it has had a very diverse population. Yes with numbers have come dross but I would not insult those who post with intelligence here by saying the level of intelligence on the site has diminished. As my mom used to say to me "No one monkey stops the show". Yes, we have had a number of electrifying and brilliant posters leave the site for various reasons. But lamenting that fact over and over again only adds to the malaise and discontent here. There are a number of new people who have joined and are joining continuously who bring fresh perspectives and are yet to be tested. Folks enjoy what you can about the site and dont allow the negativity to poison your experience.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I sometimes feel a bit guilty for coming down hard on the junk science postings. Its just a thing with me, and I apologize for it.

Junk science threads can be fun, but I wonder if my comments put a damper on the fun of it? I think people, especially Americans, love junk science, so perhaps its not important to always be "right" about it.

Does anyone have an opinion on the general demeanor of my posts? Am I a thread killer?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I sometimes feel a bit guilty for coming down hard on the junk science postings. Its just a thing with me, and I apologize for it.

Junk science threads can be fun, but I wonder if my comments put a damper on the fun of it? I think people, especially Americans, love junk science, so perhaps its not important to always be "right" about it.

Does anyone have an opinion on the general demeanor of my posts? Am I a thread killer?

I have a total boner for all of your posts, and, by extension, you. So, no. The only things I've ever heard about you is how intelligent and wonderful people think you are. Don't change a thing.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I've always found your posts to respectful and your arguments well presented. In the political threads, if memory serves me well, I think you see things differently than me but have never responded to me with obnoxious or rude comments, nor have you ever insulted my intelligence for having my own opinion.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If everyone would just talk about your hot boyfriend (No Strings, right?) all of the time, there would be no problems at all!

Discussed this with another member and she mentioned what a "meatmarket" this site has become as of late. I've noticed the rampant nastiness towards others, lack of compassion, and general negativity. I've read/heard comments about the dearth of interesting or compelling threads in Et Cetera Et Cetera. What do you think?

This thread is not meant to point the finger at certain posters but to faciliate discussion. Have you noticed any of these or other things and what should be done?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Actually, junk science is a real hot button with me. I don't often state my opinion on it because 1) I get TOO hot under the collar about it, and 2) my opinions on some of the junk science issues (particularly concerning gender) are of a TINY minority, or so it seems (as I am an equality feminist and vehemently against Mars/Venus type theories and thinking).

I also don't personally attack people, either online or in real life, although I've been the recipient of open hostility for my views (more in real life than online, although it's happened online too - had to drop out of two groups because of it.)

rope9839

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been here quite awhile, joining in the original incarnation when the LPSG first came about. If I remember right, it was actually a published joke that people took somewhat seriously.

I've noticed a hint of what you talk about. There are probably a lot of factors behind the current atmosphere. First, it just the size of the site's population. You are going to get a few more fools trying it out. Luckily, most of these go away pretty quickly. When your first post is "My mom sucked my dick after she found out I was 14 inches. Is this OK?", it doesn't take long for a few of the regulars to shoo you away.

I also agree with the idea that some of this carries over from what people are experiencing in the real world. Most of the members are from the US. Given the divisions that we are experiencing in our population on significant social issues, the general economic pressure people are under and growing number of people who feel they lack any real power to change their situation, its no surprise that some nastiness carries over to the internet. You can blow off some steam or just be an ass to someone you never have to face. It may not help you get over your actual issues, but it might feel like it for a minute. I'll admit I have been unfair to someone on-line on occasion when I am at the tail end of a really shitty day.

I also believe there are a few other issues coming to bear.

First is one related to the economic problems mentioned above. A lot of men are underemployed or struggling financially. What you will find is that this fact takes a lot of people out of the dating pool. Basically, a lot of these guys are getting no sex and this is their outlet. Men score with women when they feel competent. Unemployment, high debts or low wages really weighs on a lot of guys' egos, maybe even to the point they shut down socially. The sports car is out of the question and they have to make up for it somehow.

Second, I really do think misogynistic sex practices are becoming more main stream. It is is no real stretch to go from "enjoying" a video of a woman get her mouth, face and throat battered by a huge penis attached to a lousy lover to being really belligerent to the other posters on the site.

It is also possible that the whole penis size thing has gotten a bit out of hand. Just compare your e-mail in box to a few years ago. I have several e-mail addresses and I am going to bet that, even with fairly good spam filtering, I get 20 or more penis enlargement e-mails a day. Someone out there is really unhappy about the size of their dick, possibly even to the point that the get cynical and critical toward someone that might have a bit more in that department.

Finally, the combination of cheap digital cameras, "borrowed" photos from the internet and Photoshop is encouraging behavior that leaves a lot of people open to scorn. Nothing like an LPSG pile-on when someone analyzes the shadows of a cock photo or notes that they first saw that picture on Compuserve in 1994. I took my photos down, because it just wasn't worth the trouble of another Shercock Holmes trying to discredit my male member. Besides, someone else is using several of them on Ratearod.com and you can find them there if you wish.

But given all of that, LSPG is still just a fantasy site. It was started on a joke - guys who were so burdened with big cocks that they just needed to talk to someone about it. When someone is clearly just indulging in a fairly mild fetish - let's say pretending to be a woman or adding a few internet inches to their dick - is it really necessary to rip them a new asshole? Have a little fun with it. Maybe someone will return you the favor.

PS - FWIW, I did show LPSG to my girlfriend and she found it pretty fascinating. We skipped the mean stuff, read a few sexy threads together, measured my cock and fucked liked crazy for a bit. I don't think she is joining anytime soon, but that night might have made my membership worth it. :wink:

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WIRW, whether or not you agree with him you'd have to say his posts are thought out. I avoid posts I don't want to get upset by either, but I don't think he's ever killed a thread because of what he posts, do you?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WIRW, whether or not you agree with him you'd have to say his posts are thought out. I avoid posts I don't want to get upset by either, but I don't think he's ever killed a thread because of what he posts, do you?

Actually, if I remember his postings on those topics, I agree with him, so it's not a problem at all. If I didn't agree with him, I probably would just not say anything (I do that in real life too, after being met with hostility a few too many times).

I avoid posting to some of the threads, but I read most of them, unless it just holds no interest at all.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, if I remember his postings on those topics, I agree with him, so it's not a problem at all. If I didn't agree with him, I probably would just not say anything (I do that in real life too, after being met with hostility a few too many times).

I avoid posting to some of the threads, but I read most of them, unless it just holds no interest at all.
Same here.

God no! You're the only sane person on this forum!! I love having you here!

Don't change a damned thing.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

You're one of the fairest, most patient, and most decent posters here JustAsking. Don't sweat it.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You a thread killer? your posts rock !!! You are one of the best posters of the site .

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bingo, meester logjam.
And the loss of intelligent discussion becomes a vicious circle.
Without reinforcement from respondents who put some effort into their posts, you feel any effort on your own part is bound to fall to earth, DOA.

Exactly so, senor! I wonder why I bother.