lpsg

mindseye: [quote author=mindseye link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=0#11 date=11/06/03 at 07:02:41]

Donk, you asked for a rundown of events yesterday, and I was hoping someone a little more neutral than me would have answered. Since that hasn't happened, here's (as fairly as I can come up with) a chronology:
[/quote]

In an effort to be fair, I invited Sammygirly and Maximillian to review the facts for accuracy. Here is Sammygirly's reply.

Below is what Max would like to say. I don't have much to add, but would appreciate it if you posted it for us. It's unfortunate that tempers have flared like they have. Some of my "closest" LPSG acquaintances are those
that I'm finding myself defending me to....sadly.

The one thing I would point out in your explanation is that you did not necessarily disagree to the TOS as venhemently as you make it seem. If I recall correctly, you were opposed to the legal appearance of the TOS example presented and suggested instead a possible set of "Guidelines". You even made two suggestions of your own to add to any list of "rules" that might be created. So, this idea that I forced the idea of setting rules on people like some kind of dictator is not accurate. It was merely a
suggestion based on discussions with other mods and members who seemed likewise confused as to what was acceptable or not.

I want to go on record as saying that I wish the HUMONGOUS bullshit had happened at some other time because that issue and this have now become intertwined. They have little to do with each other except that he was the cause of the conversation regarding whether set rules and regulations might help us moderate better.

It started as a suggestion to improve, revealed something I was not comfortable with, and resulted in much more mud-slinging than is necessary.

For the record as well - there is no competitive board. It's a group of people posting together - from BOTH worlds. Period.

sammy - not quite the cold hearted drama queen you would believe.

"submission is a state of mind, Dominance is the ability to bring said state of mind to the front"

She's right on both counts. Although I objected to a TOS, I phrased my initial objections less forcefully than the ones I've since made in public.

I'd like to clarify, though, that the two 'rules' that I suggested be added if the TOS were going to be promulgated were not at all based on the content of peoples' posts, but dealt with technical issues (confidentiality of stored info, server hacking).

Here's Maximillian's reply. I have no comment on it.:

I had hope My last post had made it clear the reason I left and that all the suppositions were wrong. Your timeline and facts where I am concerned are severely flawed and here is how.

#1 Yes, I submitted the very roughed out TOS example, however thats what it was, an example and one I hoped could be used as a guideline, not one cast in stone. I offered the example up when everything was going on as a possible solution and stepped out of it. So any insinuations that I wanted it to be exactly as proffered are false. I would like that corrected as I was never directly involved in the TOS discussion, nor asked what My view
was on it. I offered it up to a board that at the time I respected and valued and expected nothing for it or My time.

#2 As I have repeatedly stated, I do not choose to be associated with any type of forum that allows anything related to sexual acts with children and that is My ONLY reason for vacating the board. Up until Mark stated that
these things were to be allowed, I had stepped back and was going to deal with My aversions to certain things. All of the other assumptions that were used as a base for bashing are falsehoods. My reasons for leaving had
already been made public and anything stating differently is libelous and slander.

#3 Yes it was taken public after discussion between a few people. It was felt the other members of the board deserved to know what had transpired and what was going to be allowed. There are quite a few professional people whos careers could be seriously hurt if they were found to be participating in a forum which allowed those vile topics.

#4 Humongous had nothing to do with Me leaving, he was an annoying little puppy nipping at My heels and I had already effectively kicked him away. I IMd Mark about his flooding My IM and nothing was done and yes Mark had been back on the board as thats when he posted the post about allowing anything that lead to My eventual departure after much soul searching.

#5 Stop trying to make it as if I made people leave, they left of their own free will with no encouragement from Me at all. I could care less if people stay, however I refused to and so did sammy. I am not some Messiah leading people away as you insinuated, they did so on their own. I even allowed sammy to make the choice for herself even though it was within My rights to make her leave.

Thats all I wish to say on this topic. However, the bashing and second guessing of My motives must stop or I will take farther action. This also includes any bashing of sammy. If you are going to post this as you offered to in your email, I expect My response to you to be posted in its entirety.
Too many facts are being left out, overlooked or manipulated at this point and I dont play that.

Maximillian

Donk: [quote author=mindseye link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=0#11 date=11/06/03 at 07:02:41]

Donk, you asked for a rundown of events yesterday, and I was hoping someone a little more neutral than me would have answered.  Since that hasn't happened, here's (as fairly as I can come up with) a chronology:

Edited to correct a date.[/quote]

mindseye, thanks for your summary and for getting sammygirl and Max(imillian)'s responses. It is very helpful for those of us who have not been privy to all the goings on to have this explanation.

It's my hope that this will all work out to be a tempest in a teacup, sparked in part by a troll who obviously caused the commotion he intended to cause. Hopefully we'll just settle back into being a lively board where most posters exercise good judgement and refrain from posting things on ridiculously outrageous topics just for the childish pleasure of getting a rise out of others.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Donk link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=20#21 date=11/06/03 at 19:57:29]
It's my hope that this will all work out to be a tempest in a teacup, sparked in part by a troll who obviously caused the commotion he intended to cause. [/quote]

Not for the first time I want to endorse what Donk has said (and what he has posted recently on other related threads); although I have to admit that I need a refresher in message-board speak, and the exact definition of the word "troll" (though I think in my dim way I get the general idea).

The safest thing surely is an element of control at the legal/offensive margin, but with most of the control being exercised simply by the good sense of the majority ... not rising to the bait might be the best way of putting it. Also, a sense of proportion; if I want "sturm und drang" in my life as Monstro puts it, I think a big penis website is an odd place to locate it.

BTW I still hold to the rather different point I was making at the beginning of this thread.

P.S. I think I have a crisis of identity: in the last few days I seemed to have lost my proprietory rights to my handle :eek:

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
[quote author=Max link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=20#22 date=11/06/03 at 23:03:36]
BTW I still hold to the rather different point I was making at the beginning of this thread.  [/quote]

Yeap, we skipped it. I am going to post a comment on that point of the thread (I mean the very first)... (...ugh, does it make any sense what I wrote ?...)

Donk: [quote author=Max link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=20#22 date=11/06/03 at 23:03:36]
I have to admit that I need a refresher in message-board speak, and the exact definition of the word "troll"  (though I think in my dim way I get the general idea).
[/quote]

Max, (and you'll always be the original "Max" to me) I think you do have the general idea--a "troll" is someone who posts something inflammatory solely to get rises out of other posters, rather than to make an actual point. (I have also seen the term applied to the posts made by such a person).

BTW, I generally endorse your original point. Though I think some general tolerance of off-topic posting is in order and it's to be expected any time human beings engage in an extended conversation. And Mark, as the owner of the bandwidth we're all enjoying, has the right to permit much of it to be used by general personal conversations if he so chooses. (But I have been annoyed recently by the proliferation of pointless threads/posts, some of which were posted by individuals who admittedly were just out to boost the number of their posts.)

HUMONGOUS: Maximillian and Sammygirly will be missed---there is no doubt about that. However it is best that they were forced out as they were inhibiting freedom of expression by censorship. I applaud the memo from Mark and thank him wholeheartedly for his views oppossing censorship. The tactics employed by Max and Sammygirly were tantamount to censorship and a board as important as this should not engage in such a practice.  
I do beleive the somewhat "heavyhanded" approach used by Max and the snide, condescending demeanor of Sammygirly was responsible for a lot of members leaving. I have spoken with several former members who have attested to that. However I will not condemn them for expressing their views as they condemned me for expresing mine. I wish them the best of luck in their new endeavors. I would also like to take the time to thank Dee and Mark for their intervention. It was most appreciated. May cooler heads prevail now that the conjoined twins have left.
Sincerly,
Humongous  
Yahoo Profile DEEZ_NUTSRBIG2001

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Some comments :
Leaving aside the tempest of the last week (that obliged - at least - some of the members to make a moral scrutiny of/on themselves), I was wondering when such a remark - like Max's - would be said (written). It has been a while since one might have the feeling that LPSG derailed a bit... just a bit.
Maybe what happens is the following :

1º older LPSG members have discussed and endlessly re-discussed the same penis-related problems or confronted the same topics in the 4-5-6 reincarnations of the forum. Somehow, it seems perfectly normal that one can get bored by seeing the same topics re-emerging ; thus, one will try to focus the attention of other subjects : sport, politics, culture (art, music, literature & books) etc.

2º Et cætera is the main creator of the LPSG community. If we can say « we're not just big dicks » that is expressly because of the Et cætera category. The feeling of openness one can encounter there spreads to the other categories and creates what can be defined as the LPSG atmosphere. Otherwise - honestly - LPSG would be awfully arid. Or, lacking soul, it will fail. Et cætera also has the merit to reveal new façades of the forum's members, it ascertains their credentials, while the usefulness of conversation on politics, culture (art, music, literature) etc. is undeniable (if not intrinsically, then at least by its final result : shaping a community).

3º Meet and Greet is somewhere in between. I suppose its primordial role is the one of being the "scene" of the first contact with the board (« Hello, I'm Radu, I'm from Crazylandia, my cock has this length and this girth, etc. »). I understand the curiosity of some (more or less) new LPSG members to find out the geographic display of the boards' members, I understand games and polls, and no one can disavow the utility of the talks on sexuality (or even on cars, perfumes and fashion, which are just other expressions of our selves).
I don't understand some threads that resound like (I'll be derisive) « Milly & Pilly, the giant ants », « Buying carpets from a bazaar », etc, whose purports, utility and relevance remains highly obscure to me, and who certainly bring nothing to the wonderful male glory (pleasure, pride, joy, etc.) of having a large penis, nothing to our concrete enlightenment.

4º I also do not understand the chase for a greater / the greatest number of postings. Substance is thrown away for the sake of quantity. Once more, the purports, utility and relevance of posting here the banality of some quotidian activities (« I bought 2 apples, whaddaya think ? », « Tomorrow is June 9 - I broke my finger 2 years ago », « Just painted my bathroom door », etc.) remains highly doubtful. I'm afraid that, as well (& cheerfully) intended as they are, these postings have nothing to do with large penises or sexuality - avoiding them would be a most appreciated proof of perception. (I'm guilty myself of indulging in posting such less reasonable threads, even if my arrière-goût, my "after-taste", was "you shouldn't have, sucker, it takes up space on the server and still, it is completely useless".)

This is only my personal opinion, my « 2 eurocents worth » - maybe I'm too restrictive, so please to feel free to contest me !

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Radu,

You always write with such charm that it is impossible to disagree with you ;) So I won't even try.

I agree that "etc etc" is a great idea, though my only substantial venture into it (when I expressed a typically British incomprehension of the deeply rooted US attachment to their freedom to own firearms) ended in my getting just very slightly burnt. ;) Should have known better! But of course it is great to build up a community that goes way beyond penis size issues, and many of the people on here become three-dimensional over time, if you see what I mean, and are very clearly the sort of people it would be good to know. (I have had the good fortune to meet two lpsg members in real life, as it happens, and have also made a number of on-line friendships here, which go far beyond any common penis related concerns.)

Yet my two main issues still stand, I think:

1. The sheer volume of matey chit chat and off-topic postings make it very hard for someone who needs the help and the really good on-topic stuff to find it. Maybe I shall have to stop using the last 25 posts feature and actually go to the trouble of opening each thread one by one in the areas that interest me.

2. Far more important in my view: I was getting the feeling that lpsg was gradually becoming an end in itself, and that the inward looking atmosphere was increasing with all the in-house comments and jokes. Despite the warmth of the welcome offered, a newcomer might feel he had stumbled into a private party.

Thanks again Radu.

kelly_ffwonders: You seem rather immature from the posts of yours that I have read. Kinda silly to be honest.

mindseye: [quote author=kelly_ffwonders link=board=meetgreet;num=1068043927;start=20#28 date=11/10/03 at 10:14:52]You seem rather immature from the posts of yours that I have read. Kinda silly to be honest.[/quote]

Wow, kelly, what an abrasive first post to LPSG. I'm not sure who you were replying to, but would you back up your condemnation with a few specifics?

Who's being immature and silly, and for what reason? I've found this to be a fairly constructive thread, and -- even the posters that I disagree with I've found to be open-minded.