Lunar Eclipse tonight

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I saw the lunar eclipse. The moon was full and
really bright. Then the shadow of the earth was
beginning to overcome the brightness of the moon.

I also saw the Orion constellation. :smile:​

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, the eclipse just ended here in BsAs and it's 3:11 AM. So, I guess those figures on when it starts and when it ends all depend upon where you are in the world.

Everyone should travel to the Austral world some time in their life, if for no other reason than to simply see a different perspective of the Milky Way.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Everyone should travel to the Austral world some time in their life, if for no other reason than to simply see a different perspective of the Milky Way.

I've always wanted to do this. I purposely never learned the southern constellations because I knew one day I would like to see the night sky as man saw it thousands of years ago. I see a roadmap when I look at the sky because I have spent years looking at it and learning it. I can't wait to go somewhere I can just see stars.

The clouds unveiled as soon as the eclipse went into totality, then it was crystal clear. I'll post more on it later, I am still hypothermic...

We'll be watching at eleven. Hopefully the snow will stop and the sky will clear by then.

Exactly as it went, you must have a crystal ball, or reading your horoscope possibly?

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cloudy in NYC, but just looking at them and being frustrated at not being able to see the eclipse would have to have been better than this production of 'Company', which was godawful.

I'm near you and it cleared up for me. Did the clouds really hover over you? Did you manage to watch after the shadow covered the moon? That is the best part for me, it starts glowing orange or red for an hour. Then you can watch the sunrise on the moon, its perfect. I think the beginning is the least exciting. That is a bummer if you missed it, you gotta be prepared to sit out for at least an hour to get the full effect of the eclipse experience. I was frozen, but stuck it out on my roof, overlooking the city. It looked like an orb dangling in the sky. Only in Jersey!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Two of the main news channels in BsAs are repeating the eclipse for those who didn't see it. It's sort of like watching that Yule log video that one of the USA Networks plays for several hours every morning on December 25th. Anyway, the squeeze came home and mentioned there was an eclipse. We went out on the terrace (34th floor) and had an unobstructed view of the whole eclipse from beginning to end. It seem to take forever, but it was a nice way to stay up late, drink cool liquids, and hang out naked on the terrace early in the morning (it's about 30 degrees Celsius and humid, by the way).

So now I'm wide awake. Can't get to sleep. The squeeze in snoring away comfortably, basking in the glare of the TV. Soft tropical "mood" music accompanies the video repeat of the eclipse as seen from Ushuaia, Córdoba, Mendoza, Iguazú, and BsAs. According to the news guy who breaks in every now and then with a hushed voice, there won't be another full lunar eclipse until 2015. So, thanks for keeping me company LPGS-ers. I currently have a great view of The Southern Cross and another constellation that looks like, but is not, the Big Dipper.

When I begin to yawn and then yawn three times in a row, I'll be able to go back to bed.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
All I can say is, "Wow." I took a peek at about 8pm PST and out my livingroom window I saw it. I turned out all the lights in my apartment, turned off the television, and watched it until the moon was full again. It was a fantastic show. I fell asleep shortly after that on the couch...

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm near you and it cleared up for me. Did the clouds really hover over you? Did you manage to watch after the shadow covered the moon? That is the best part for me, it starts glowing orange or red for an hour. Then you can watch the sunrise on the moon, its perfect. I think the beginning is the least exciting. That is a bummer if you missed it, you gotta be prepared to sit out for at least an hour to get the full effect of the eclipse experience. I was frozen, but stuck it out on my roof, overlooking the city. It looked like an orb dangling in the sky. Only in Jersey!

Thanks! No, I had to write about this broadcast, and there was only one break since PBS--then had to post it. My roof was closed except for emergencies in about 1998, but I had seen the comet looking across the Hudson toward Jersey--that was exciting (1997 I think).

Enjoy your writing very much though. I wouldn't mind sitting in the cold either, unlike most city types, in fact did it yesterday afternoon.

This reminds me of one of my many trips to Los Angeles at Christmas. This was in 2001, December and I went up to the Griffith Park Observatory, without really knowing why; I'd never been up there and never have since. Many people were gathered and taking pictures, because there had been an astonishing combination of very strong Sant'
Ana Winds and a magnificent sunset. You could see well out into the Pacific, not only Catalina but all the way to Malibu and those other islands nearby, as well as way back into the San Gabriels; but mainly it was the lights of Downtown and Hollywood that knocked you out--the winds made them all appear to twinkle with electricity, it was uncanny. I spoke to two Los Angeles natives, one 41, the other 52, and they both said they had never seen the city look like that. It was so impressive I always described it to people as being like an eclipse, and the view was even the central image in a published book of mine.