Luther Vandross is gone.....

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sigh...

I know... I already talked about him in my blog but he was one of the markers of my youth I can remember where I was when I first heard his music just as I can remember the first time I heard Billy Joel .They helped to define my popular music experience . Luther's dulcet tones have brought such joy soothed such pain and made a mark in the American Musical landscape. I salute your life and legacy... To Luther with love.....

naughty

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I remember where I was when I first heard his voice too. For me the song that stopped me cold was "Superstar/Until You Come Back to Me." It was maybe '86 or '87 and I'd moved away for college and that was my first exposure to him (remember those "quiet storm" weekend radio shows?).

I'd guess that hearing his voice is a wake-up moment for a lot of people out there. The range, the delivery, the drop-dead-gorgeous tonal quality. Wow.

Had a chance to see Luther and Anita Baker in Raleigh once a few years back, but it didn't pan out. Now there won't be another chance.

So sad.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I can't believe how some of the greatest in whatever bit of music history I have lived have recently departed from the earth. Ray Charles... now, Luther... a part of my R&B soul throwback to the 80s in which my mom jammed to his stuff is slipping.

I heard the news at work today. I was just dumbstruck.