Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now-a-days, lycra and spandex is more of a fetish thing. Wearing it for activity went out in the 90's.
I agree that lycra/spandex went out of fashion a decade or more ago. As much as I enjoy seeing fetish photos of guys in lycra/spandex, typically this look in the gym appears pretty silly and draws attention away from the reason folks should be there--to work out.
I have to confess that when I look around the gym and see almost nobody else wearing spandex pants, except a couple of guys about my age or older who don't carry their years very well (shriveled butts, etc.), I do feel that my choice of garb is in questionable taste. And by that I don't mean taste in fashion so much as social taste. If it were common for men at the gym to wear spandex shorts, there would be nothing remarkable about any one man's choice to wear them; but given that fashions have changed and shorts (or even long pants) of loose-fitting fabric are now the custom, to wear spandex ones probably does look like an attempt to draw attention to oneself, which is tacky behavior. I do not feel that such an attempt is my motive in wearing them: I rather wish that more other guys wore them so that I would not stand out. They just put me in a better mood for working out than looser shorts do, partly because they make me feel better about my body and partly because the feeling of them gripping me makes me want to do the work.
They still show, but not obscenely so. I need to get to work on exercising. I'm in my 20s and you look 7937383 times better than I do!
Thank you, kind sir, though I'm sure that your arithmetic is exaggerated. :wink:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just learned from the article "Spandex" in Wikipedia that spandex (not capitalized) is the name of a kind of fiber while "Lycra" (capitalized) is the name of a brand of spandex. So "spandex" is just a descriptive term like "nylon" or "polyester," while "Lycra" is a trademark.

Thought you all might like to know.