Lying

Wntabigone

Experimental Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why to people lie so much these days? It seems to be rampant and lying is the norm. I feel that I can't trust anyone anymore. People lie about what they have done and said, and say that someone else did or said what they did or said. I think we are in the times of armageddeon, for those that believe in christianity. There will be those that say what is white is black and what is black is white. It seems to be those times. Your thoughts?

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Scriptures speak about the last days. Armagedden is close at hand, sort of like my dick. Lying is a character flaw. I lie all the time. I make up crazy stories on LPSG just to get a reaction. But I don't have a life and greeting folks at Wal-Mart for $6.00 an hour and beating my tiny pecker to Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony, is my total enjoyment in life plus reading about all the internet size wieners on this board. I believe in the Church that Obama has loosed on us.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why to people lie so much these days? It seems to be rampant and lying is the norm. I feel that I can't trust anyone anymore. People lie about what they have done and said, and say that someone else did or said what they did or said. I think we are in the times of armageddeon, for those that believe in christianity. There will be those that say what is white is black and what is black is white. It seems to be those times. Your thoughts?

I'm not sure exactly what circle of people you are referring to or if it's just a blanket statement of all people. I can tell you not all people are liars. There are good people out there who don't lie, be they Christian or not.

I think you need to seek out the people who are truthful and leave the liars to be among themselves.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lying is a function of human communication. At its simplest level very many conversational exchanges are formulaic with preferred responses. In Britain the question "how are you?" has a preferred response on the lines of "fine, and you?" The function of the exchange is to establish some form of relationship between the two participants, not to convey information. If you feel terrible and answer truthfully "terrible" you have breached the intention of the exchange. If you are speaking to someone you know well you can do it, but otherwise it is a dis-preferred resonse, and often perceived as rude. When someone asks you "how are you?" they don't necessarily want to know the answer!

Someone who doesn't lie according to the linguistic and cultural conventions of society comes across as rude, aggressive, intimidating, arrogant. Lying is a necessary function of communication, and is the proper thing to do in those situations when the hearer can decode the exchange. If you tell me you are "fine" I know that this may or may not be true. Lying becomes a problem in situations when the hearer cannot decode the message.

If a guy on this board says he has a 10" cock there are two possibilities:
1) He has a 10" cock
2) He is presenting the "face" of someone who has a 10" cock because this is important to him for some reason. This is not a lie within the limited context of this board as we all know that it may or may not be true.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Lying is a function of human communication. At its simplest level very many conversational exchanges are formulaic with preferred responses. In Britain the question "how are you?" has a preferred response on the lines of "fine, and you?" The function of the exchange is to establish some form of relationship between the two participants, not to convey information. If you feel terrible and answer truthfully "terrible" you have breached the intention of the exchange. If you are speaking to someone you know well you can do it, but otherwise it is a dis-preferred resonse, and often perceived as rude. When someone asks you "how are you?" they don't necessarily want to know the answer!

Someone who doesn't lie according to the linguistic and cultural conventions of society comes across as rude, aggressive, intimidating, arrogant. Lying is a necessary function of communication, and is the proper thing to do in those situations when the hearer can decode the exchange. If you tell me you are "fine" I know that this may or may not be true. Lying becomes a problem in situations when the hearer cannot decode the message.

If a guy on this board says he has a 10" cock there are two possibilities:
1) He has a 10" cock
2) He is presenting the "face" of someone who has a 10" cock because this is important to him for some reason. This is not a lie within the limited context of this board as we all know that it may or may not be true.

Good old-fashioned linguistic sense (at least "old" since the early 1980's). What strikes me as amusing is you didn't take your example of someone saying they have a 10" cock and use it to sound like "Schrodinger's 10-inch cock." If not observed, it is 10 inches. If observed, it's length differs from 10".

Regardless, good post. :wink: