MA Senator asked to resign, declines.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Marazion Analdouche, Oct 31, 2008.

1. D_Marazion Analdouche

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Senator Wilkerson did a LOT for her constituents in her many years as Senator.....unfortunately she has been followed by scandal and let the Power get to her head.

3. Notaguru2

Gold Member

4. D_Marazion Analdouche

I'm just a little sad that there isn't a lot of people screaming for her to resign outside of the state senate itself. Again, I'm not a right or left wing card holder, it just comes down to screwing up and how people still follow them, I just don't understand. I can handle mistakes, but law breaking is something that should have mandatory jail time for people of office, more so when it's caught on camera lol.

Mass being as it is, if this was a republican senator the Globe and a bunch of other channels would be running editorials constantly for her resignation.

5. D_Marazion Analdouche

As long as she goes to jail as well, all things should be equal.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I voted for her in the past and I think she should resign and be prosecuted...corruption is corruption

7. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Hear, hear! Take the Bushies with them...

8. D_Marazion Analdouche

I'm so shocked at getting a response from someone from either party not defending "their side" regardless of the situation words actually escape me......well ok maybe not.

Greed hits both sides, politics is beyond corrupt (both sides) and our "public servants" are losing touch with the fact they are for the people.

9. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah...the US is in for a massive upheaval in its politics. The recent monetary meltdown and upcoming election are indications of how much of a revolution has got to occur there. Otherwise, it's going to continue down the road of the Roman Empire and eventually implode.

I still can't believe how many US politicians continue to get away with their shit. Has anyone ever held Bush Jr accountable for the lack of WMD's, for example? It was one of the big reasons you were convinced to go to war... What about the lack of regulation and accountability in the financial sector supported by Republican and Democratic parties over the years?

Being an expat, I am very proud of the US but recognise the need for change in a big way. Be sure to fucking VOTE!!!!!

10. mindseye

Gold Member

If it were Wilkerson's first time in this position, I'd defend her: I believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, and just because she's been indicted on this matter shouldn't be cause for resignation. (I'll point out that I haven't called for Sen. Stevens resignation either; I'd prefer that Mark Begich just kick the crap out of him on Tuesday. ;) )

However, she has a 1997 conviction for failing to pay taxes, and entered into plea agreements in 1998 and again earlier just this year for violations of campaign finance laws.

Given her record, I think it's fair to demand her resignation before waiting for the conviction.

11. D_Marazion Analdouche

Do I think the Iraq war is a mistake yes. However (and this conversation has taken place in many a thread here), Bush is not alone regarding the bad Intel speaking to WMDs. The intel works it's way up the tree to include the Senate Intel commitee made up of both Republicans and Demos. The blame on this runs deeper than the prez, he is just the face of it all. And the "we couldn't vote against it or we are not patriotic" argument doesn't fly.

I think Bush is absolutely accountable, but so is every member of congress that voted alongside him.

12. earllogjam

Gold Member

Oh, I always thought politicians were the most respectable Americans. Geez. This IS a shock. They're not in Washington working on behalf of us voters? Wow.

WAKE UP! ALL politicians take bribes in one form or another - favors, perks and freebies. You think anyone with any power could resist taking advantage of it? It's how things work in our system. She was just one of the dumb ones that got caught.

13. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

You can include Ted Kennedy in that list. He has made the statement that there was evidence to support the attacks. If truth must be known, your precious oil supply was at stake. Hussein was saber rattling about attacking the saudi oil fields and oil terminal. If he had blown up the terminal, most of the US's oil supply would have severly affected.
    Also, Ted Kennedy will be forever unfit for office because of his behavior at Chappaquiddick. His family bought off Mary Jo Kopechne's parents.
    Texas's own Lyndon Johnson was one of the most disgusting unfit people to ever hold office as a member of the congress and as president. He only won the nomination to senate by stealing the election in Jim Wells County. Then, he heavily involved us in Vietnam without going outright to win. We are still paying interest on that part of the national debt. Also, the sucker had financial ties to defense contractors supplying the war effort.

14. D_Marazion Analdouche

I also blame the people that vote for people with records. I mean, at least vote for the ones smart enough not to get caught.

And I'm all for the Innocent Until Proven, but the FBI actually does have pictures of her shoving the bribe money in her bra. I mean, in your bra? At least have them leave it on the nightstand just like any prostitute would ask you to do, cause that's all that she is, that's all any of them are.

15. mindseye

Gold Member

With you so far -- I wish voters would take the time to find out more about their candidates. *sigh*

With you so far...

Lost me there. "cause that's all that she is" is sexist, and "that's all any of them are" is defeatist.

16. D_Marazion Analdouche

I was using it to describe her profession in politics, not her gender. That's why I used the word "them" in a connecting sentence, male prostitues to exist. So no, wasn't sexist at all.

17. Redsquall

Redsquall New Member

18. mindseye

Gold Member

I understood that you were talking about politicians. I stand by my remarks.

19. D_Marazion Analdouche

Meh.

20. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I agree! Unfortunately, people in the U.S. prefer lip service to action.

Beyond voting, I think there has to be a movement where we demand public accountability/oversight and take on a participatory role in government. Because, while there are some good representatives, they are far outnumbered by the dreck that slide in on one issue, especially the current populist vs. elite bullshit.

Broad participation is crucial to maintaining a truly representative government, and it is a shame that I am one of three people I know who intends to, or has run, for a public office. I guess, right now I am satisfied with their voting, but still waiting for more than a handful to fire off a letter to their representatives demanding an investigation, of anything.

Am I ranting? :08: :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted