mac web cam suggestions

Dendrilite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey buddy, I use Yahoo or aMSN. I suppose iChat doesn't work on your mac eh?!?!?

Good luck

Hi I am new to the web cam world. I have a mac that is imcompatible with the i-sight format.

Does any one have recommendations for a 2001 dvd special imac?

suggestions, comments, rude pictures welcome.

Thanks.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Incompatible with the isight format? huh? Isight is made by apple as is the mac? What is incompatible?

The current iSight standalone camera is FireWire-based (although the new built-in ones reside on the internal USB bus), and if I remember right, his old iMac doesn't have FW.

I don't know of any that I'd recommend offhand (I use an iSight on my G4 iBook, and it's friggin' great), but probably any USB webcam will work.

I'd go dig around www.lowendmac.com and see what they'd recommend.

What I also don't know is if iChat will recognize older webcams. You can install OS X on your five-year-old iMac (possibly up to 10.4, too), but iChat-to-webcam compatibility would be my question.

blackbirdsandfloorboards

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Thanks LeeEJ. I do in fact have some firewire ports, so thats a bright beginning.

But I didn't think that with my operating system (10.3.9) and the speed of my iMac (400Mhrz PowerPC G3) was compatible with the stand alone iSight camera (that is based on previous research and my horrible short term memory).

The other concern I had with the iSight camera is the fact that you have to PAY to use AVchat. Is this your understanding too? I currently am a Yahoo user, and was hoping for a cam that could accomodate my mac and this format (without paying extra $)

I will check out your link. Thanks.

Thanks to all who responded to this link. With your help, maybe I can show my boner to you all in real time!!:biggrin1:

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But I didn't think that with my operating system (10.3.9) and the speed of my iMac (400Mhrz PowerPC G3) was compatible with the stand alone iSight camera (that is based on previous research and my horrible short term memory).
Your OS is more than enough, but the system requirements ask for at least a 600 MHz G3, according to Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/isight/

(check at the bottom)

You can use this as an excuse to get a new Mac, or you can surely find an older one that'll fit the requirements without spending tons of cash.

The other concern I had with the iSight camera is the fact that you have to PAY to use AVchat. Is this your understanding too? I currently am a Yahoo user, and was hoping for a cam that could accomodate my mac and this format (without paying extra $)
Who told you that you have to pay? If someone told you that you had to pay extra, they flat-out lied. I video chat with my family pretty often (parents here in the States, sister & her family in Germany; three-way video chat, too), and there is absolutely no other charge besides what I pay every month for broadband internet.

Yahoo video chat (actually, ANY other video chat) sucks in comparison to the quality afforded by the iSight and iChat AV. I've been "present" at parties back home by just hanging out on my webcam, and everyone who stopped by to talk was very pleasantly surprised by the quality.

blackbirdsandfloorboards

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
So this is great news. My puny 300 mhrz should be able to handle the input/output?

I'm willing to spend the 100 bucks for what is supposedly the best cam on the market, but if it doesn't work I will be sad.

But maybe I'm reading your response wrong. You are also saying to upgrade.

Will my 300 Mhrz mac make the grade?

Thanks for your help.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Already told you what Apple lists for requirements:

Your OS is more than enough, but the system requirements ask for at least a 600 MHz G3, according to Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/isight/

(check at the bottom)

You can use this as an excuse to get a new Mac, or you can surely find an older one that'll fit the requirements without spending tons of cash.