Machine Error?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by naughty, Oct 23, 2008.

1. naughty

Gold Member

In West Virginia voting machines are already being reported that when voters push Obama it registers McCain...what do you think is happening? The voter registration center swears it is voter error but the voters are vehemently denying this...I wonder how much of this we will be seeing?

2. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

I fear that if this is not a total landslide, we are headed for multi-Floridas this year. I have heard that attorneys for both sides are already in Florida monitoring the polling places as well as in Ohio.

Our country is so divided now and a broken political and election process only makes it worse.

What I fear is a last minute attack that pushes the well known and politically advantageous American fear/patriotic buttons that will set us back another 4 years. :frown1:

3. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

"Each machine also prints a paper record, and Ireland said voters can check them before they leave the polling place.

So how many of the conspiracy theorist have a printed record we can see as proof of their alleged conspiracy?

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Umm...none.

5. naughty

Gold Member

1Bigg1,

The person I saw that chose to show himself was a white male senior citizen who has voted democrat since the time of Truman. His daughter was also in the booth with him to help him. They showed the machine and sure enough the machine time and again registered McCain when he pushed Obama. It is what it is. Now, what it is... is up for discussion. The election officials swear it was voter error but when he demonstrated what he had done and did it multiple times it did the same thing he had reported.

6. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I suspect that there will be a lot of these types of occurrences...

7. whitemesa

whitemesa New Member

Its not like these votes matter anway, so why is it such a big deal.....

OUR vote doesn't matter, we vote hoping that our representatives will vote in the way that we wan't them to.

Example is that in 2004 Bush lost by people's vote but still won anyway.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

I don't much worry about miscalibrated touchscreens: you push one button and something different lights up, you're likely to notice that. But if these touchscreens are failing, then what other components are failing? Bad memory cards? Faulty tabulators? I'm far more concerned about the potential for machine flaws that the voter can't see.

9. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    We have electronic voting locally and tons of mail in ballots. I went to the polls last election and you BET I checked every one of the choices on the paper readout.

Thank god, the heavens, somebody, that we have electronic voting machines WITH a paper read out! Not all of the machines around the country have a true PAPER trail. You really can't recount bits and bytes can ya? yeah 00000000 is really 11111111 ... too easy to play around with, switch all voted for the other guy.

I wonder if that voting machine is electronic only with software from the one company closely allied to Hugo Chavez.... Or as some one demonstrated a while back that they can hack the computers. I think it was 2 Professors from California.

10. D_dollar a week

D_dollar a week New Member

Hopefully Florida doesn't screw up this time. I plan on voting this Saturday, so I'll let you know how it goes. :rolleyes:

11. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

was hoping this sort of thing was behind us

12. Principessa

Gold Member

My guess is a lot :frown1: :irked:

13. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

Exactly the reason why we need to get a more balanced court. I was so very sorry to see O'Conner retire. She was the balance needed there. Republicans are scared to death that they will lose the majority because 6 of the current 9 were appointed by Republican presidents.

14. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

You are the one needing to get your facts straight; George Bush won 271 electoral votes to Gore's 266 making him President of the United States, not the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court did put an end to Al Gore & Company’s frivolous lawsuits yes, but anyway you count the votes in question Al Gore lost Florida.

15. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Nominee.......... George W. Bush ....Al Gore
    Electoral vote...... 271 .....................266
    States carried........ 30 ....................20+DC
    Popular vote...... 50,456,002 ..........50,999,897
    Percentage........... 47.9% ................48.4%

These ultimately resulted in a December 12 7-2 United States Supreme Court decision stating that the Florida Supreme Court's plan for recounting ballots was unconstitutional, as well as a 5-4 United States Supreme Court decision that ended the Florida recounts and allowed Florida to certify its vote.

Both from United States presidential election, 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 'popular vote' means of the people - more individuals in the USA wanted Gore for President. The electoral system gives those votes different weights depending on where the voter lives (OK - that's a huge oversimplification - but it'll do for now). The Supreme Court stopped all the recount shenanigens and effectively said that Florida had to be left where it was thus giving Bush the 270 (plus 1) electoral votes he needed.

Jaysus!! I don't believe people don't know this shit by heart yet - I do and I'm not even American.

16. Biggin'

Biggin' New Member

Thank you.

Obama hasnt sealed the deal and they put this crap out there so they can bitch when / if they lose. If O wins, I expect McCain to do the same thing hes been doing with Jerimiah KKK Wright....Not mentioning (maybe to his detriment) it because he is bigger than that.

Charles Krauthammer - McCain for President

17. D_Gene_Rugburn

D_Gene_Rugburn Account Disabled

In Britain we use a pencil and put an X next to the candidate we want to vote for...sometimes the simpler the system the better!

18. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Do you? :wink:

19. D_Gene_Rugburn

D_Gene_Rugburn Account Disabled

Sorry ManlyBanisters I stand corrected - "In Britain we used to use a pencil and put an X next to the candidate we wanted to vote for....(I maintain) sometimes the simpler the system the better."
    Guess ur gonna have to spank my naked bottom Manly ;)

20. mindseye

Gold Member

False. By miscounting the votes, Al Gore lost Florida.

On December 8, 2000, the Florida Supreme Court ordered a manual statewide recount of all ballots cast in Florida. (source; PDF) The Supreme Court interfered in a state-level decision and prevented that recount from ever taking place.

Following the certification of the miscounted ballots, an independent consortium including the New York Times and the Washington Post, as well as the Chicago Tribune and the Wall Street Journal, paid for and conducted their own manual statewide recount.

Had the ballots been counted, Al Gore would have won Florida.

This interactive link, hosted at the New York Times, shows samples of different ballot designs, different actually cast ballots, and gives you the opportunity to perform your own recount.

Draft saved Draft deleted