Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade review...your opinion?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, Nov 26, 2009.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Didn't see it. It usually goes right by my corner but they rerouted this year.

3. Northland

Gold Member

Mercifully I missed the entire ordeal. I was dragged to the damn thing as a child and despised every minute of it. Well, not every minute. There was the happy moment when the Santa sleigh would appear, signaling the end of the horror. Of course, after that we had to wander through Central Park as part and parcel of the day long celebration.

Sadly, they had decent weather this year. It's infinitely more fun when there's a cold wind and a freezing rain. Watching those skimpily dressed baton twirlers trying to maintain a gleeful smile when being pelted with near-to-ice pellets is a hoot. If memory serves, some time around the early 70s there was actually a little iced precip. That was the first year I didn't go. I refused and got away with it while the rest of the family headed off. I stayed home, dry and warm.

Cold weather is also nice for watching those band players from high schools, with their lips frozen solid to the trombone or trumpet or French horn r tuba mouthpiece and the person in back slipping on the spit released from the spit valves:biggrin1:. Hmm... maybe I just should have gone...

Let us all give thanks:rolleyes: to Bloomy and his lawn chairs in Broadway which forced the new route. Now the balloon handlers have to make even more of those tricky corner turns-imagine how it'll be on a windy run.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't sya as I've ever been a fan of the parade. I always found it annoying more than anything. I could watch it from the sidewalk in front of my building but I have never bothered. I'd rather sleep because I'm such an insomniac!

5. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I never really understood the appeal. It's a bunch of huge balloons. Whoop-de-doo. Plus, I'm on the west coast, so I'm not getting up early just to see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted