Madame Tussaud's

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Marlboro woman, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Marlboro woman

Marlboro woman New Member

Last Sunday my boyfriend and me went to Madame Tussaud's in London, has anyone been there? It is amazing how lifelike the waxworks are, I was surprised to see you can even touch them (within reason). My favourites were Martin Luther King, Boris Becker and Brian Lara (if anyone asks who he is I will scream :mad: ). Nicole Kidman was very, very popular, she has an amazing aura and must be truly beautiful in real life. Mostly women standing next to her waxwork, I think most of the men were intimidated, even my boyfriend was awewstruck. I stood next to her (well, her waxwork at least), I am taller than she is :redface: but she is very slim, I won't hold it against her.

Warning - if you ever go allow 3 hours for the queue or book in advance.

2. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been to the Madame Tussaud's in Las Vegas, where most of the figures we're pretty great. I had no idea that J.Lo was so short. Plus, the figure blushes when you grab her ass. :p

but geez! the one in London is that popular?!?! 3 hours for the queue? yikes.

and i would love to see the Nicole Kidman figure in person because i love her. lol...but i've seen a picture of one they created (i don't know which location it was) but they totally got the eyes wrong. She looked more like Brooke Burns.

3. Marlboro woman

You certainly do have a thing about Nicole don't you ... the one that surprised me was Beyonce, the waxwork was so pale-skinned that I didn't recognise her.

4. dong20

Gold Member

I went years ago as a kid, and I (vaguely) remember it as being one of the most boring afternoons of my life, sorry. The idea of gawking at wax dummies still bores me, though I imagine it's improved a lot in technical terms since then. Maybe I'll go again ... one day.

Still, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :biggrin1:

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I was about to post something similar (apart from the bit about having been there, my parents clearly had better taste than yours :tongue:) - I guess the experience is good for some and not for others. I can spend hours on end in military museums, whereas as others are bored to tears in minutes. Takes all sorts.

6. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    I went to the one in Canada
    on my honeymoon with my new husband we had a holy union in 1997 I took my best friend with us. had never been to a real wax works place.
    it was awesome
    they can be so lifelike
    there was this woman with a camera or so we thought taking a pic of the wax works my friend and i were raised so that it was rude to walk in front of someone who was trying to take a picture
    it was taking forever then we realized she was wax too

7. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    Madame Tussaud's museums are cultural, so they don't all have the same people in them...so I don't know who Brian Lara is, I'm sorry.

I went to the one in Vegas and it was borderline creepsville for me. I like the fact that they're so realistic looking, but the fact that they are so close to you is like "House of Wax" status for me...needless to say I didn't spend that long standing next to Brad Pitt.

8. dong20

Gold Member

It's entirely possible, but hard to conclude from my visit to MT's because I didn't actually go with my parents.

One of the best military museums I've even been to was the one one outside Saigon (sorry Ho Chi Min City). Not so much for it's quality but for it's ambience - if using that word's not a contradiction in terms.

The British Museum (and the Science Museum) in London are great places - I can imagine wandering round for days and never seeing something twice. I'd always wanted to get locked in a night, never managed it ... so far.:biggrin1:

9. Anthony008

Anthony008 New Member

Albums:
    I have been to the one in London a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, was amazed at how good they all were!

10. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey...never been to the one in london, but went to the one in amsterdam. that place blew my mind! would love to go back to see it again.

11. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I should visit a Madame Tussaud's again.
    Last time I was in one was two decades ago ... and it was remarkable, but only for the first ten minutes or so.
    And some of the likenesses weren't that good.
    (A distant relative once owned the North American franchise, or so family lore had it. I know the guy in question ... he existed and was wealthy ... but I don't know if the family had the extent of his ownership exactly right.)

12. Marlboro woman

that's ok I will forgive you. he is a famous cricket player.

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Assumption triumphs again! (Not. Obviously)

I'll distract the guards, you bring the picnic.

The Bristish Museum (other than one or two old pals) is about the only reason I'd ever really bother returning to London. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but only a slight one.

I've never been as far east as Ho Chi Min City (by a long shot) - the museum is now on my list if I ever do get there.

14. eric_bauer89

eric_bauer89 New Member

I went to the one in NYC last May and I actually got to joke around with the one of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie together...I put my hand like i was cupping Angelina's boob it was quite funny!

15. somethingradical

I have been to the one in London and New York...I love it and occasionally they even put penis' on the guys....I felt up a few as a joke but ended feeling more than I thought would be down there

Draft saved Draft deleted