Made for TV movie

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Zora Neale Hurston's, 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' but I saw that Oprah has produced a made for television movie starring Miss. Dandridge herself, Halle Berry. It's an excellent novel and I'm quite excited to see the movie as well. I saw a preview for it last night and it looks pretty good. So, check it out if you get a chance.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's coming out this week, right? I love the movies Oprah has been in. In fact, The Color Purple is my all time fave. Perhaps I should read the book as well? You'll have to tell me how much better it is than the movie.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Definitely going to be a great movie...I really want to see it...I just moved a couple of days ago and the satellite installer just came today...That is why I have been posting all day waiting on them...And have been a fan of Zora Neale Hurston...Sad she died poor and a little factoid for you - she is buried where I grew up...They in the last few years fixed up her grave site ( it was alway vandalized somewhat by fans)...My great grandmother is buried near her...

And I love the Color Purple - Speilberg really made a great movie...Oprah was good in Beloved too...And if you like Halle Berry and the Color Purple - check out Queen - it is marvelous...And Anne Rice's - the Feast of all Saints which is a great movie but Halle isn't in it...

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Oprah is just plain good at everything. Period. It's actually kind of scary, the kind of influence she has over millions of people. Supposedly she's bypassed "cult" status in the world. She's done a lot of stuff for a lot of people though, I'll give her that much, but she also gets away with too many things that other people would get in trouble for (like some of her topics on her show would be deemed inappropriate by others), just because she's Oprah, so that kinda pisses me off. Oh well, she's created her life from nothing, so some kudos to her. One of my favorite things though is the MADtv Oprah skit...too bad they don't have those anymore, I used to love those!

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I liked Oprah in Beloved, but I wasn't satisfied with the way the story ended. My husband said that the book was MUCH better. It's on my list to read.

Thanks for the recommendations. I added Feast of all Saints to my Netflix list. Queen isn't on DVD yet, so they don't carry it. I'll keep my eye our for it at the video store.

I admire Oprah for what she has gone through and what she has become.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They have made a musical version of 'The Color Purple' which is scheduled to open on Broadway this year. They did an out of town tryout in Atlanta that went over very well. I loved the book and the movie and I hope that the show will be just as good. I didn't care for 'Beloved.' Everyone says the book is far superior as often times is the case. I thought 'Queen' was okay and I thought that the adaptation of 'The Feast Of All Saints' was pretty good but the book is better.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We're moving to New York this summer. Hopefully that will still be showing. I have yet to see my first Broadway and I think that would be awesome (or the Pink Floyd The Wall adaptation that Roger Waters is responsible for). I've read the book twice. It's one of the few in my collection that I will not let go.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Feb 22 2005, 01:44 PM
They have made a musical version of 'The Color Purple' which is scheduled to open on Broadway this year. They did an out of town tryout in Atlanta that went over very well. I loved the book and the movie and I hope that the show will be just as good. I didn't care for 'Beloved.' Everyone says the book is far superior as often times is the case. I thought 'Queen' was okay and I thought that the adaptation of 'The Feast Of All Saints' was pretty good but the book is better.
[post=285401]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow - a musical version of the color purple might be cool - even though I am not a fan of musicals but I am sure it would be pretty powerful...That movie is one of the rare one that really make me emotional...I am so busy I never get a chance to read so movies are a quick fix to me...

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by yaoifun@Feb 22 2005, 01:14 PM
Oprah is just plain good at everything. Period. It's actually kind of scary, the kind of influence she has over millions of people. Supposedly she's bypassed "cult" status in the world. She's done a lot of stuff for a lot of people though, I'll give her that much, but she also gets away with too many things that other people would get in trouble for (like some of her topics on her show would be deemed inappropriate by others), just because she's Oprah, so that kinda pisses me off. Oh well, she's created her life from nothing, so some kudos to her. One of my favorite things though is the MADtv Oprah skit...too bad they don't have those anymore, I used to love those!
[post=285382]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah dude I give props to Oprah...She is a self-made billionare coming from rural MS so she is definitely a great example of a role model...I mean I personal don't know of any scandal that she has been apart of...The media rarely even writes lies about her...She is an Icon and a brand name...She really can do no wrong...And she seems like a genuinely nice and caring person...She gets very emotional during her shows and people really like that...

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Color Purple is actually a very quick read. It's written like a lot of diary entries. I can zoom through it in less than a week, and that's while tending to 3 boys (husband and 2 sons).

The book picks up more on the lesbian relationship between Shug and Celie and tells more of what happened when she went to live with Shug.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah well, contrary to popular belief, Hollywood is very conservative wrt homosexuality. Hollywood's actually generally conservative in the strict definition of the word; that's why they make the same movie a semi-infinite number of times. Actually, it's only in the 80s that you see any realistic portrayals of gay characters, and only very recently that it became taboo to portray gay characters stereotypically.