Madonna and her 'Celebration'

Media
This week Madonna released her most comprehensive compilation to date via the CD and DVD format entitled simply Celebration.

Let's all chat about the women. I mean she's been in the business for over 20 years and is still making those millions.

I for one appreciate her although I question certain aspects of her career. Like the 2 new songs are horrible! But it's her last hurrah hurrah with Warner Bros. So I guess she didn't care to put much effort into those 2 new songs.

My favorite period from her was the late 80's and early 90's when she was questioning sex and religion. Loved her when she did the whole sex book and Erotica album. Her Girlie Show tour I think is her best!

After that, I'm in and out basically. Her tours have been well executed BUT honestly I didn't care for the Re-invention Tour. Some of those songs cannot be reinvented any much more such as Holiday and Music!
I always felt that her Ray Of Light album was overrated.

People always compare her to Marilyn Monroe but I feel she's influenced more by Marlene Dietrich. You could see it in the photos and such.

Oh and the rock n roll hall of fame induction was well deserved. :wink:

Love her or hate her, you can't deny her existence!

Last edited:
Media
It seems to me, as with most things in life, good taste in music is entirely subjective.

People love to place labels on things, especially anything that has been popular in the gay community. I know straight folks who listen to Madonna, I know gay folks that listen to Madonna. Suffice it to say, I think Madonna has earned her place as an entertainment icon. Not just a gay one. In spite of what some of us Mo's might think, we do not own her. LOL

I cannot imagine how well I would have navigated the failings of the entertainment industry as she has. (Or any other entertainer for that matter.)

I think the "Celebration" compilation was part of a binding legal agreement that satisfied a demand (if not the last one) from her former record label Sire. As I understand it, if her fledgling record label Maverick had to agree to some sort of financial compensation to Sire should it fail to be successful. That seems fair enough. (Thank you Alanis Morisette, Maverick's most successful artist to date.)

Sadly, Madonna cannot continue creating new music forever, after all she is a human being. I just hope someone else comes along that is just as fun as Madonna was in the 80's.

Good response Pieter ;-)

S

superbot

She's got the brains of a poussin and the morals of a slut!....

Lol - I only liked the Ray of Light stuff, was good quality w/William Orbit. Plus her tune w/Massive Attack was ok. The new Oakenfold song is ok, but probably wont appeal to American audiences as it's quite euro-house.

I think she's interesting at times, but a bit of an old trout too. She always cooks up a political excuse for whatever behaviour she feels like getting into. No doubt her new toyboy is supposed to liberate women from the taboo that they can't be sluts. Or something. (or maybe she thought the whole Madonna/Jesus imagery was quite saucy and good for a bit of attention).

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I love Madonna.

"Like a Prayer" is one of my favorite songs and videos

YouTube - Madonna - Like a Prayer

She is at her most provocative here -- and parts of the video - many shots - are truly art.

I think "Vogue" is a definate high point also.

YouTube - Madonna - Vogue (Music Video)

She's still relevant after 27 years. Yes, most of the movies she made sucked. I even dislike most of her "Evita" which is too wooden and overproduced.... YET... and I know this may sound like blasphemy to some... I've started to come to the conclusion that she is probably a bigger cultural icon than Barbra Streisand. Or Judy Garland. Judy's career spanned 1939 to 1969, and Madonna has been doing her provocative, entertaining, pushing-the-envelope, artistic thing for almost as long.

It's probably wrong to compare such different careers, but Madonna is in that league.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I always felt that her Ray Of Light album was overrated.
On the album, I agree...although the track Frozen was extraordinary, and the video wasn't too shabby either.

Love her or hate her, you can't deny her existence!
As one who shares a dies natalis, you're absolutely right about that.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
frankly i have been sick of her extraneous "persona" nonsense now for going on about 20 years.

her music has not been any good for about 10 years or so at least, and even then it had been low quality since about 1992 or so, down from her best stuff...

her music was really excellent in the 80s through early 90s...probably the highest quality pop there ever was...but like almost all musicians, you can only maintain your highest quality music for perhaps a decade or so.

i always look back on her early stuff fondly, as it reminds me of my earliest girlfriends, who all loved her back then...

borderline
burning up
lucky star
like a virgin
holiday
Angel
material girl
over and over
into the groove
gambler
crazy for you
dress you up
who's that girl
Open your heart
true blue
La isla bonita
where's the party
live to tell
cherish
express yourself
deeper and deeper

those are all fun, great pop...that is an incredible amount of great tunes for one artist

when she started trying to be provocative and political, etc. the songs got lame.

erotica
papa don't preach
like a prayer
justify my love

blech

she was a great pop star and was never deep enough to be provocative. once she went that route, and started singing about yoga, philosophy, etc., the music became preachy and stupid, like "Ray of Light" and "Frozen" and then when she remade "American Pie" she really was just desperate

but everything in the past 15 years has been total crap....the kind of crap that leads you to crucify yourself on a giant mirrored cross in concert to get attention. (rolleyes)

IMO

Last edited:

the kind of crap that leads you to crucify yourself on a giant mirrored cross in concert to get attention.

It looked like she'd just got stuck in a particularly well-appointed showerblock! :tongue:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Flashy writes:

"...her music was really excellent in the 80s through early 90s...probably the highest quality pop there ever was...but like almost all musicians, you can only maintain your highest quality music for perhaps a decade or so... when she started trying to be provocative and political, etc. the songs got lame."

--------------------

Oh, my gosh, Flashy! That's a bit how I feel about your posting career at LPSG.

2007 had some very articulate, informative, funny posts. Brevity, admittedly, was never your strong point, but still... quite delightful posts!

Then came the provocative, politcal ("jump the shark") period of latter 2008 to the present. When the comments began to take up 6 square feet of space - and the reasoning got partisan, wrongheaded and mushy.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It looked like she'd just got stuck in a particularly well-appointed showerblock! :tongue:

well, i would have *TONS* of respect for her as an artist and "provocateur" had she *REALLY* crucified herself on stage...*THAT* is a statement.

(she would have healed...and i would not be bothered if she didn't nail the feet, and just stood on the platform...just through the hands) :cool:

that would be an impressive artistic statement

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy writes:

"...her music was really excellent in the 80s through early 90s...probably the highest quality pop there ever was...but like almost all musicians, you can only maintain your highest quality music for perhaps a decade or so... when she started trying to be provocative and political, etc. the songs got lame."

--------------------

Oh, my gosh, Flashy! That's a bit how I feel about your posting career at LPSG.

2007 had some very articulate, informative, funny posts. Brevity, admittedly, was never your strong point, but still... quite delightful posts!

Then came the provocative, politcal ("jump the shark") period of latter 2008 to the present. When the comments began to take up 6 square feet of space - and the reasoning got partisan, wrongheaded and mushy.

oh my gosh willtom...you still have not learned to properly use the quote function after all this time and are still trying to inject politics into the etc. forum.

as for the reasoning getting partisan, you must be confusing me with you. you see, you only post leftist drivel. i take issue with you and your right wing alter-ego trinity.

nice try to bring politics in to a madonna thread.

well, i would have *TONS* of respect for her as an artist and "provocateur" had she *REALLY* crucified herself on stage...*THAT* is a statement.

(she would have healed...and i would not be bothered if she didn't nail the feet, and just stood on the platform...just through the hands) :cool:

that would be an impressive artistic statement

She probably hadn't thought of that. Maybe we should put it to her? :biggrin1:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She probably hadn't thought of that. Maybe we should put it to her? :biggrin1:

a real artist would have thought of it. :smile::wink:

she is simply a poseur. she wanted the acclaim of a disco mirror live crucifixion, without the guts to back up her artistic sentiments about what she feels it represents.

booooooooooooo :cool: