Madonnas new song

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Dr. Dilznick, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

The one with the Abba sample. This hag needs to hang it up. Her last two electro-trash albums aren't worth the shit of a dog.

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    She's trying to stay young... and it isnt working.
    Her stuck up attitude and high lifestyle is ruining her.

Cher said it best - "You aint got NOTHIN over this"

3. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

She's still in there trying like hell, a feat most other artists would abandoned along ago.

4. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I'm a madonna freak and have been since she first came out, before anyone saw her face and thought she was a black singer. I admit though that the last good album from her was Ray of Light.

5. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I've been waiting for the skank to die for some time now, but that's not exactly news to many here on the board. If she does develop enough good taste to off herself, I hope she has the decency to take Paris and Britney with her.

6. Skinny Guinea

Skinny Guinea New Member

Same with me. I've been listening to her since about 1982 or 83.

She lost me with American Life. I'm so tired of hearing about how enlightened she is, and I'm not interested in her English lifestyle. Not that I have anything against English people -- but that I'm tired of her trying to be something she's not.

The fun thing about Madonna was that she used to be into, well, having fun. Now, she takes herself SO SERIOUSLY that it's boring as hell. :spank:

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

I haven't like her *cough* music since Erotica, but I do admire her as a marketing genius. Unlike the pouty-faced youths of today, she has managed her own career and that in itself is somewhat noteworthy. Maybe it's the salesman in me but I can't help but admire her for her shameless self-promotion.

Wouldn't buy a Madonna cd if my life were threatened, just giving credit where it's due.

8. Skinny Guinea

Skinny Guinea New Member

I agree. I used to be a huge Madonna fan. And I actually intend on buying her new CD. I sort of feel obligated, just because she was my hero while I was growing up. (She's Italian American, like me, you know.) But I no longer consider myself a "fan" per se. I respect her as a person and artist (she is an artist, in a way). But I'm not really a fan anymore.

I think what she's trying to do these days is reinvent herself in a way that isn't so sexual, because she realizes that as someone approaching her 50s she is not as marketable as a sex symbol anymore. But I think she's having a tough time of it because, as you said, she's mainly a marketing genius -- and the thing she marketed was her image as a sex symbol. I don't think the public is that interested in the image of an Italian American mother who reads the Kabballah, writes children's books, and speaks with a phony English accent. Or is it just me?

I will always be interested in her because she was the biggest icon of my childhood and teen years. I sort of date major phases of my life based on what Madonna was doing at the time. But the current Madonna I can't relate to at all. It's weird, but in her attempt to remain relevant, she's gotten SO BORING!

9. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

That I can agree with. She has talent, but her talent is not musical. She can package herself and make it sell. However, she's supposed to be a singer. There are legions of talented singers out there who fade into obscurity because they don't have the marketing know-how that Moo possesses. Remember her book Sex? Record sales slumping? No worry: just have someone snap pictures of you walking naked down the streets of New York, publish them, and you'll be back on top in no time. And now she writes children's books? I guess that's supposed to convince Lourdes and Rocco that Mommy Moo is not a big whore.

10. Skinny Guinea

Skinny Guinea New Member

http://www.madonnalicious.com/

Aw, I take it back. I really like her. But my "liking-ness" of her has changed. She used to be this larger-than-life icon. Now, I see her as just this woman with an interesting career. I see her as interesting in her own right, as opposed to being a force of nature.

You have to accept her for what she is: an overall personality with a talent for creating spectacle. That's what she does. She's a personality. In a different era she would not have become a celebrity. But this is the era we're in and, for better or worse, she embodies so much of it.

And all the hope that she will go away is futile. She has outlasted EVERYONE. If she can, she will probably be releasing dance records when she's 60. Look at Mick Jagger.

About the Sex book -- that book itself caused the record slump of which you speak. It was the first time since, like, 1984 that a lead single from a Madonna album didn't go to number one, and a Madonna album itself didn't go to number one. The Sex book almost destroyed her career. The thing that brought her career back was partnering with Babyface on "Take A Bow." That song is her biggest hit to date. It stayed at number one for about six weeks or so.

11. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

Weak song...really weak

12. D_Barbi_Queue

red hair - Eek! She looked the best in Like a Prayer

13. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Bad Girl? That's actually my favorite song of hers.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

[post=357084]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

That one's way up there for me too, but I'd call "Oh Father" my favorite (I'm a complete sucker for pop songs written in 3/4 time). She had SOME reason to write songs when she was actually writing autobiographically.

DMW, I agree that her talent is in marketing, not music. I know too many truly great musicians whose work will never reach the light of day because they lack marketing skills, or a true lust for money.

15. sopielamie

sopielamie New Member

Albums:
    I love the last song with ABBA, Madonna knows what to do to sell lot of discs and still knows how to use fashion for her music.
    The last single can sound déjà-vu, it will works...

16. D_Barbi_Queue

I have yet to hear it, but I've seen mixed reviews.

17. Matthew

Gold Member

[post=357084]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    That single was actually Erotica which peaked at #3. Bad Girl was her first single to miss the Top 30 however.

I've also been a long-time Madonna fan, but I thought American Life was her crappiest album since Like a Virgin.

And the new song? Thank god it's got that Abba sample because that's the only thing going for it :thumbsdown:

18. D_Barbi_Queue

I thought Bedtime Stories was the worst.

19. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

The only real and true thing I can honestly say that I didn't like about Madonna was her "like a prayer" video. All the rest well, that was the 80's stuff when her talent came into fruition. Try tho you may, you can't deny that her talent was part of the eighties.

The biggest mistake of her fuckin' life was marrying that putz Sean Penn.

20. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

A very good friend of mine was a casting director who worked with Madonna in many of her videos. She knew Madonna pretty well and described her as whiny and annoying. She said most people didn't care for her. Aside from that, she has a sexy husband and she's a FABULOUS hosebag.

(on a side note, my ex's twink boyfriend before me stole Madonna's bra from Fredericks of Hollywood during the LA Riots. My ex returned it to Madonna. I asked him what he thought of her and he said "I met her")

Draft saved Draft deleted