MagicJack Ordeals

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Tintagel_Demondong, Apr 16, 2008.

1. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I used to spend about $300/month on long distance calls. I got that down to about $40/month with a special phone plan. This isn't so bad, but I saw the MagicJack ad that promised $20.00/year for unlimited calls anywhere in the U.S. or Canada (after a $50 activation fee).

I ordered a MagicJack on Monday, April 7. I received it on Tuesday, April 15. It came in a surprisingly small package. It was a little device that you plug into your USB port. You then plug your phone into it and, supposedly, you are up and running in minutes.

The device installed it's own software after I plugged it in. It wouldn't let me register. After a useless chat with their customer service, I was given a link to their Customer Returns page. I filled out the form and it led me to a dead end. Basically, I was screwed over; I'm stuck with both this thing and my regular phone.

This is the chat I had with their tech support:

2. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

That's ridiculous...

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ugh...that's even creepier than the new telephone voice response systems that talk to you in that perky, drill-team/sorority girl voice.

4. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Have you heard of the Uncanny Valley? Nick lives there. It's his hometown.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

That sucks! I would return the whole thing and demand your money back. Copy the Better Business Bureau as well. Not sure if this constitutes mail fraud; but it was shipped to you correct?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    $400 on long distance phone calls and not a single one was to me? :wtf1:

6. unique_exposure

unique_exposure New Member

Albums:
    Man, what a robot. They need to get better sales people if they are going to be pulling shit like that.

7. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I hope you paid with a credit card. Contact your card issuer immediately. I'd be pissed if that happened to me.

8. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I used MagicJack to call a friend last night. The quality was good.

I am still pissed off about not being able to get incalls, but I think that I'll continue to use it for outcalls. I already paid $50 for five years of service, and I doubt that I'll get that back. Still, I'd normally pay about $5000 for five years of long distance outcalls, so it's not so bad.

The four things that bothered me the most about this thing were:

1. They don't tell you that many area codes aren't available, especially in Canada.
    2. They don't tell you that you have to leave your PC on to send/receive calls.
    3. They don't tell you that 911 isn't available in Canada.
    4. Their customer service is horrible.

P.S. I'd call you NJ... if you gave me your number.

9. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Sounds like magic jack AND Vonage are both deceptive and misleading...
    My cousin got a Vonage account but it wouldn't work with his networked multi computer system. After hours of help on the phone they still couldnt get it to work.
    So he wanted to quit the account. THEN he found out about the 250$ disconnect fee.
    THEY WERE GOING TO CHARGE HIM FOR BREAKING THE CONTRACT regardless that they couldn't make it work with his system...
    Long story short they ended up paying HIM about $1,000 for costs and refunds after he took them to court... But it took over a year
    I love a happy ending

Draft saved Draft deleted