Maine becomes state #5 to allow gay marriage

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
No shit, although that's not the case in every single state.
But beyond this, you can harp on this factoid, or we can REALLY get to the reason why you think this matters? Your choice. Quite frankly, I'm sick of watching you jump up and down on the small issues when they're all part of a bigger picture. That's essentially what you do everyday on this board with all of your so-called "Fact Checks" and Politico mumbo jumbo.

So, are we going to get down to business or are you going to essentially wave your banner of victory on the trivial shit?

Again, another minor, pigeon-holed and pathetic point.
Just because the President doesn't "believe" in it doesn't mean that it won't happen. Again, he left this decision to states to make on their own and they're doing just that.

Besides, beliefs (no matter how popular) do not dictate what is fact. Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit. Denying two men or women to marry, by definition, is discrimination.

discrimination definition | Dictionary.com

So Trinity... I ask you again. Are we going to get to the heart of the matter or are you going to continue to waddle in the rhetorical bullshit? :rolleyes:

Amen.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
How dense are you to blindly accept everything you see in print for face value on a news site when everyone on this board accepts the fact that news sources can be, and usually are, biased? I don't blindly trust ANY news source. I read a bunch and collectively come to my own conclusions. You need MULTIPLE sources in order to be informed properly. Not just ONE.

Again, get to the friggin' point. Are you suggesting that the "will of the people" should always be followed even if it means the discrimination of a social demographic? The popular vote always wins?

We already know that isn't the case. Just ask Gore about the "popular" vote.

And HOW do you know this? Because Obama doesn't believe in gay marriage? Belief doesn't change fact. Deciding that two men or two women can't get married because they are gay or lesbian IS discrimination. Period. Or did you even LOOK at the definition of discrimination that was created centuries ago?

But NOW, on to the REAL matter at hand and not an overly stated factoid. Considering Obama's beliefs on gay marriage AND his actions (something in which you have blatantly ignored in all of your anti-Obama rants on this topic), and consider the fact that 5 states are making a grown-up choice on their own to do something that treats a minority of people as equals even though it may not be the "popular vote", WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR OBAMA? WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN FOR OUR NATION? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE PURSUIT OF EQUAL RIGHTS?

Can you answer this? Can you at least TRY? This is your final chance.

Bitch, you're talking on matters that you'll NEVER even understand from my point of view. You're trying to talk on gay matters and how they should be done and you're NOT EVEN GAY. I don't care what your conscious tells you or whatever news source you'll copy/paste links into. YOU DON'T KNOW THIS SHIT LIKE SOMEONE WHO IS GAY OR LESBIAN WHO HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY IGNORANCE LIKE THIS SINCE THE BEGINNING. You'd think because of this simple fact, you'd look for info from those who are really affected by this news. Instead, you're here trying to preach and twist this thread into another anti-Obama factoid, nevermind trying to suggest to ME, a gay man who has been discriminated against not just on the gay marriage level but on many other social aspects of life, how I should view my life. How fuckin' socially ignorant are you, Miss Thing? Really? Do I tell you which tampons to buy, even though I don't have a vagina?

Honestly, Trinitroll... is your need to criticize Obama so big that you'll even try to toot rhetoric half truths about issues that you will honestly have NO idea how it affects people? Actually, you don't even have to answer the question because I already know what you'll do. You'll harp back on your news sources, jump up and down about how reputable they are, and continue to look at part of the story without considering, weighing in or even LISTENING to other views. That's what bitches like you DO on this board. You did it before you were banned, and when you came back you went right back to the grind with the same thing.

Your patterns are more predictable than a up-down maturabtory jerk motion on a 8" dick. Don't step to me with your bullshit or your nonsense.
Amen Squared.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
"Posted by Trinity

I don't believe...President of the United States Barack Obama believes..."

Trannity claiming inside knowledge of Obama? That's rich. What it doesn't know or, more to the point, understand in any rational sense, about Barack would fill a proverbial book.

For the life of me, though, I can't understand why anyone takes it seriously enough to expend the time or energy needed to argue with it, which is precisely why I've had it on ignore for months.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
if obama wants to get any kind of healthcare plan passed he needs to stay away from don't ask, gay marriage just to keep the field clear for the task at hand. that is not to say that these issues can't be addressed by other people and at the grass roots level.

Bishop Malone was a driving force behind Prop 1. He worked tirelessly to see that Prop 1 was adopted. The man has a lot of respect in Maine, being the head of the RCC in the state. Here's his statement:
“I want to thank the people of Maine for protecting and reaffirming their support for marriage as it has been understood for millennia by civilizations and religions around the world. I am thankful for those who engaged in sincere and civil discourse on this matter of such serious consequence to our society.

“These past few months have served as a teaching opportunity to explain to parishioners and the wider community about how and why the Church views and values marriage as the union of one man and one woman. It has also been an opportunity for listening, and I trust that those who voted for such a radical change did so out of concern for our gay brothers and sisters. Respect and acceptance of all people regardless of sexual orientation is not a point of controversy — indeed, it is a teaching of the Church. While the Catholic Church will continue its commitment to work for the basic human rights to which all people are entitled, it remains devoted to preserving and strengthening the precious gift of marriage." -Bishop Richard Malone, Bishop of Portland

Clearly Bishop Malone, like others beating the religious drum, believe that preserving marriage consists of denying it to others. I also find his comment about voting, "... out of concern for our gay brothers and sisters," to be patronizing and naive.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
if obama wants to get any kind of healthcare plan passed he needs to stay away from don't ask, gay marriage just to keep the field clear for the task at hand. that is not to say that these issues can't be addressed by other people and at the grass roots level.

I agree with you on this. One major obstacle at a time here.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bishop Malone was a driving force behind Prop 1. He worked tirelessly to see that Prop 1 was adopted. The man has a lot of respect in Maine, being the head of the RCC in the state. Here's his statement:

Clearly Bishop Malone, like others beating the religious drum, believe that preserving marriage consists of denying it to others. I also find his comment about voting, "... out of concern for our gay brothers and sisters," to be patronizing and naive.
[/LEFT]

Snarky and self contradictory.

I have not noticed any activity from the church in support of universal medical coverage, which John XXIII strongly endorsed in his 1963 encyclical, Pacem in Terris. That is what they decently should be spending their effort on.

Snarky and self contradictory.

I have not noticed any activity from the church in support of universal medical coverage, which John XXIII strongly endorsed in his 1963 encyclical, Pacem in Terris. That is what they decently should be spending their effort on.

Not this time. The Catholic church runs a number of hospitals and clinics around the country. These facilities do enormous good for the public at large and do not require payment for their services if the patient cannot afford it.

HOWEVER.....

They are very worried about requirements in any Health Care legislation to provide abortion on demand and contraception. The RCC is also concerned that they may be forced to close their hospitals and clinics under the Health Care legislation.

It is more important to be a martyr than to do a good deed. It gets you to heaven more quickly.

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
Personally, I've always felt if religious organizations want to have huge say in politics, they need to pay their taxes like everyone else. Instead, they use those unpaid taxes to fund attacks against equality.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Personally, I've always felt if religious organizations want to have huge say in politics, they need to pay their taxes like everyone else. Instead, they use those unpaid taxes to fund attacks against equality.

Personally, I think if religions want to have a huge say in politics, they should be told to go fuck themselves.

I'm Roman Catholic, but I'm also an American. I recognize that forcing one group's religious views on others through legislation is a blatant violation of the First Amendment.

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

I would hope in four years he'd be capable of getting the ball rolling on multiple issues at once, and certainly in eight if he's re-elected. It's called multitasking.

Granted health care is an important issue. But who's to say what is more important? Civil rights, or major changes to our system? I'm gonna say both have equal value, then again I hold some bias.

Of course, if he gets the whole healthcare issue figured out, aka socialized, he needs to work on socializing education on a university level as well, otherwise you're gonna have a lot of angry M.D.s who simply will not make enough money anymore to pay back the years and years of college loans that they had to take out to afford going to school for their degree in the first place, myself included. If you think four years of schooling, and therefore four years of incurring large amounts of debt is bad, try eight. :)

TheMarchHare

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Personally, I think if religions want to have a huge say in politics, they should be told to go fuck themselves.

I'm Roman Catholic, but I'm also an American. I recognize that forcing one group's religious views on others through legislation is a blatant violation of the First Amendment.

First of all, yes, one would think the first amendment means something, but apparently that's not the case.

Second of all... Ew, can't that old monster full of contradiction, hate, and hypocrisy, with a bad history of pushing others around.. that some like to call a religion.. just die off already?

I mean, they have catacombs to hide in right? What more could one ask for?