Major Earthquakes in Japan

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I fear (from the footage I just saw) this will turn out to be one major tragedy with the loss of many people.

I once thought all this Mayan calendar 2012 apocalyptic stuff was a bunch of nonsense. But given the nature of/and the seeming increasing frequency and severity of our world's political climate coupled with these "natural occurrences", I have to admit I'm beginning to wonder.

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
They're calling it the worst earthquake in Japan's history. At 8.9 on the Richter scale, they say it was 8,000 times more powerful than the one that hit Christchurch in NZ. But they also saythere is no direct connection between the one in Japan ans the one in NZ.

Foretunately, the tsunami which hit Sendai and northern Japan so hard, seems to have dissipated quite quickly as it crossed the Pacific. It seems not to have caused significant damage to low-lying Pacific coastlines.

All sympathy to our brothers and sisters in Japan, and to the families of the estimated 1,000 people so far counted killed.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Watching the tsunami footage is breathtaking and horrifying. It's very much like movie special effects come to real life.

Sincere wishes of hope for those affected.

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
They have just reported that in some places the tsunami flooded as far as 10 kilometres inland. Strong aftershocks are still shaking Japan.

D_Adam_Baldwon

Account Disabled
Media
World events have been so catastrophic as of late. Unrest in the Middle East (now Saudi Arabia is protesting), gas prices rising, now a massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan shortly after a devestating earthquake in NZ. Don't forget the major earthquakes in Haiti and Chili last year. You have to wonder.

dwa

Sexy Member
Media
There are now reports of radiation leaks from nuclear power plants.

This is really going from bad to worse.

The leaks at present are venting coolant which apparently is not a high risk. However if they run out of coolant its real bad, apparently Japan turned down usa offers to help

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The two Fukushima reactors had to vent out radioactive gas into the hemisphere to cool down the temperature, to avoid a meltdown. They say the amount of radioactive gas that was vented isn't enough to be a risk for the locals.

I haven't heard of any attempts from USA to help being rejected from Japan. I did read that USA helped with delivering.. some fluid that they use to cool off the reactors with or something.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It's just tragic, my heart goes out to them. If you have never felt an earthquake, I assure you, even a small one is terrifying. A 3 minute 8.9 and then a 10m tsunami, I can not begin to imagine the horror.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan.

I will be watching the Red Cross website and donating to their support as soon as I can.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My little perspective on how big an 8.9 quake is --

When I was in junior high... or was it middle school... I went to a summer school thing at the local university that focused on science. One of the many activities that I settled into was plotting earthquakes on a world map. Since this was before computers had a GUI, I was sticking little pushpins into a paper map that was mounted on cardboard. I followed a list of quakes dating back who knows how far (1900, maybe?).

Near Japan, so many quakes had been marked with pins that a hole had grown, maybe 1/4" across by the time I finished. That made me notice how often Japan gets rattled by earthquakes.

But the 8.9? Of the hundreds of quakes I pinned onto the map, I can only think of one that was over a 9, and I remember it was in Alaska. Looking around now, I see one other that was stronger than that (there was a 9.5 in Chile in 1960; Alaska's in 1964 was a 9.2). As soon as the news said "8.9", I knew it was historically strong.

There aren't many countries that are better prepared for earthquakes than Japan. I hope they can keep themselves together and dig out of this mess.

One of the towers at the nuclear plant has now exploded - but they're hoping to contain the radiation. :/