Major Earthquakes in Japan

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The coverage of this on television is just heart breaking. I've been in earthquakes in California and the worst I experienced was a 6.9 that lasted about 30 seconds.(It felt like the world was ending) I can't imagine how horrifying this felt at this magnitude for nearly five minutes.
A sad note on the news is that there is a missing train and a missing ship.
My heart goes out to everyone in Japan.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of the towers at the nuclear plant has now exploded - but they're hoping to contain the radiation. :/

From that article:
The Japanese government's chief spokesman, Yukio Edano, said the concrete building housing the plant's number one reactor had collapsed but the metal reactor container inside was not damaged.

He said radiation levels around the plant had fallen after the explosion.

^^Yep, the metal rods were still intact too, I believe.

@Nudey - they found the ship, I think! It'd been swept out to sea, and 80 ppl were airlifted to safety.

In a bit of happy news - Maru the Japanese youtube cat was unharmed, but his owners have got him an evacuation basket, (presumably cos they live near the radiation zone?) :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Those are aftershocks. You'll generally get hit by a bunch of them after the initial quake and they can then continue for months. Christchurch is still getting aftershocks 7 months on from our 7.1 quake in September, ontop of aftershocks from the 6.3 in Feb.
Thanks for the info dude - wasn't referring to aftershocks specifically tho.

Was just wondering if the movement in the NZ quake caused pressure to shift along the plate, which was later released in the Japanquake (separate earthquake, so not really an aftershock). :)

D_Vladimir Jurkov

Experimental Member
Media
The coverage of this on television is just heart breaking. I've been in earthquakes in California and the worst I experienced was a 6.9 that lasted about 30 seconds.(It felt like the world was ending) I can't imagine how horrifying this felt at this magnitude for nearly five minutes.
A sad note on the news is that there is a missing train and a missing ship.
My heart goes out to everyone in Japan.

I'm trying to imagine what a 6.9 quake feels like and it's really tough because I live in NYC, never been in an earthquake in my life. Now an 8.9, that's just beyond anything my mind can comprehend. I remember seeing this TV show (either the History or Discovery channel) where 2 guys went into an earthquake simulation trailer. I forget where it was but now I'm actually curious. They gave the viewer a good insight into just how violent an earthquake can be. Even after that I still can't fathom the 8.9. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the the difference between a 7.0 and a 7.5 is larger than the difference between a 6.0 and a 6.5 (just examples.) I don't know how else to properly explain that but I hope that makes sense. They mentioned it on the news and of course I can't put it exactly the way they did.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm trying to imagine what a 6.9 quake feels like and it's really tough because I live in NYC, never been in an earthquake in my life. Now an 8.9, that's just beyond anything my mind can comprehend. I remember seeing this TV show (either the History or Discovery channel) where 2 guys went into an earthquake simulation trailer. I forget where it was but now I'm actually curious. They gave the viewer a good insight into just how violent an earthquake can be. Even after that I still can't fathom the 8.9. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the the difference between a 7.0 and a 7.5 is larger than the difference between a 6.0 and a 6.5 (just examples.) I don't know how else to properly explain that but I hope that makes sense. They mentioned it on the news and of course I can't put it exactly the way they did.

Being in an earthquake is rather indescribable except to say it's horrifying. This short video gives you a tiny taste; but from my experience it feels like the earth might open and swallow you. YouTube - Mobile Earthquake Simulator
If you are ever in an earthquake I can tell you you don't want to be outside. (That was the only time I was ever injured) Don't stand in a doorway or go under the stairs. Try to get under at least two major pieces of heavy furniture that could withstand the ceiling collapsing on it. If you can get in a bathtub and cover your self with whatever possible.
If you live in an earthquake zone have a plan, especially know how to shut off the gas valve.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Being in an earthquake is rather indescribable except to say it's horrifying. This short video gives you a tiny taste; but from my experience it feels like the earth might open and swallow you. YouTube - Mobile Earthquake Simulator
If you are ever in an earthquake I can tell you you don't want to be outside. (That was the only time I was ever injured) Don't stand in a doorway or go under the stairs. Try to get under at least two major pieces of heavy furniture that could withstand the ceiling collapsing on it. If you can get in a bathtub and cover your self with whatever possible.
If you live in an earthquake zone have a plan, especially know how to shut off the gas valve.
OH, I see you didn't get washed away. Answer your email so I won't die of worry, eh? :wink:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sadly, that "there might be a meltdown" piece followed every step taught in Journalism School on how to break the worst news. "It's possible." "We're not certain." "We currently do not have the means do discern." Three of the five reactors are in safety shutdown."

Tomorrow we'll see statements of "Woops!"

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They're saying in the news that the number of dead is expected to be over 10 thousand in one prefecture alone. It's kinda difficult to comprehend a figure like that.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They're saying in the news that the number of dead is expected to be over 10 thousand in one prefecture alone. It's kinda difficult to comprehend a figure like that.

Speaking of irresponsible journalism (alluding to what midlifebear said), in the first few hours they were saying things like, "We have eight confirmed dead."

Um... DUH. I don't think we'll know for sure until a month from now. I'd be happy if it turns out to be less than 15,000.

It's a pretty big thing (obv). Kinda one of those events where the world is a different place than you'd expected it to be several days earlier.

I feel really sorry for them - will take a long time to get thru this...all the damage, displacement, nuclear probs - and economic consequences.

Pleased to see the world does seem to be standing by them at this time. :)

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...[snip]...in the first few hours they were saying things like, "We have eight confirmed dead."

Um... DUH. I don't think we'll know for sure until a month from now. I'd be happy if it turns out to be less than 15,000.

Merely hearing the words "Japan", "8.9 on the Richter Scale" and "tsunami", before seeing any video or reading detailed accounts, I was shaking my head at the outrageously low-balled death-toll figures.

Now, having seen the incredible (and horrible) video footage; reading about lack of water, electricity, fuel, or supplies of any kind for what is probably millions of people; and keeping a worried ear out for developments at the nuclear reactor situations, it's even more of a horrible situation than first imagined.

Pardon the cliche, but this really puts things in perspective.

D_Vladimir Jurkov

Experimental Member
Media
I feel really sorry for them - will take a long time to get thru this...all the damage, displacement, nuclear probs - and economic consequences.
:)

Don't misconstrue this, but if a disaster like this were to happen anywhere, Japan is the place. It's been touched upon a few times in the media, but I'll make note of the resiliency of the Japanese. Rescue workers will die with honor trying to save others, and everyone will give 110% to bring the country back. Yes, it will take LONG time. But not as long as it would in other nations. The Japanese are smart and tough. Combine that with aid from other countries, and soon enough the news reports will be about how quickly they are recovering.

^^It's ok - I know what you mean. ;)

Also - I'm guessing the death toll would be even higher had it happened anywhere else (especially due to the earthquake).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't misconstrue this, but if a disaster like this were to happen anywhere, Japan is the place. It's been touched upon a few times in the media, but I'll make note of the resiliency of the Japanese. Rescue workers will die with honor trying to save others, and everyone will give 110% to bring the country back. Yes, it will take LONG time. But not as long as it would in other nations. The Japanese are smart and tough. Combine that with aid from other countries, and soon enough the news reports will be about how quickly they are recovering.

I agree with you to some extent, but considering that Japan is just about the same size as California the potential for the problems from the nuclear meltdown issues alone are mind boggling. The news has not even begun to report the emotional issues these people are dealing with and I'm not sure there that time will ever heal the devastation that some of these people have and will continue to endure.

Some experts believe the Japanese quake is almost certainly linked to the NZ one near Christchurch - due to stress being transferred to different parts of the tectonic plate.

A similar thing happened in 2004, with a quake in NZ 2 weeks before the Sumatran quake/tsunami.

lpsg17

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

I cant even imagine