Major Earthquakes in Japan

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sadly, that "there might be a meltdown" piece followed every step taught in Journalism School on how to break the worst news. "It's possible." "We're not certain." "We currently do not have the means do discern." Three of the five reactors are in safety shutdown."

Tomorrow we'll see statements of "Woops!"

They are now using the colorful alliterative phrase multiple meltdown for the worse case scenario of the three reactors. Dr. Michio Kaku, the celebrity physicist, also used the term hail mary pass for the effort to pump sea water into the reactor core. On KFI radio in L.A. Bill Handel and his guests said the outgoing effluent was 500 degree radioactive water back into the ocean, or enough to awaken Godzilla!!!

I pray for those poor people.

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
500 degree radioactive water back into the ocean, or enough to awaken Godzilla!!!

Now Godzilla? Could it get any worse for these poor people :(

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some experts believe the Japanese quake is almost certainly linked to the NZ one near Christchurch - due to stress being transferred to different parts of the tectonic plate.

A similar thing happened in 2004, with a quake in NZ 2 weeks before the Sumatran quake/tsunami.

There were a bunch of smaller quakes within a day of the Japan quake all around the Pacific Rim, too.

They are now using the colorful alliterative phrase multiple meltdown for the worse case scenario of the three reactors. Dr. Michio Kaku, the celebrity physicist, also used the term hail mary pass for the effort to pump sea water into the reactor core. On KFI radio in L.A. Bill Handel and his guests said the outgoing effluent was 500 degree radioactive water back into the ocean, or enough to awaken Godzilla!!!

I pray for those poor people.
Doesn't it become steam @ 100 degrees, lol? Or am I missing something?

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Doesn't it become steam @ 100 degrees, lol? Or am I missing something?

Well it was a joke on the radio, albeit a bad one.

The nuclear physics professor was referring to superheated water, where it maintains a liquified state above 100 degrees centigrade or 212 degrees fahrenheit. In some steam generators the pressurized temperature can reach 500 degrees fahrenheit. Here is a wikipedia link: Superheated water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the time back in school when these subjects were taught in science class, my mind simply wandered to a particularly attractive female student sitting at a desk nearby.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just got a very disturbing telephone call from a friend who I trust who just got a news feed that the situation in Japan is out of control with the nuclear issues and to expect catastrophic problems with the reactors in the next few hours.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Had to switch back to CNN after spending too much time on Discovery and SciFi (I can't bring myself to type "syfy"...).

Before bed last night, they were talking about how patiently the survivors are behaving. They're waiting in lines for food and water instead of mobbing and fighting, taking care of each other, things like that. One older woman was quoted, "We're all in the same situation, so why fight about it?"

It reminds me of stories I used to read about racing fans in Japan, in this case at F1 races at Suzuka or Fuji Speedway. They were boisterous, dressing to the nines in their favorite manufacturer's or driver's livery, waving flags everywhere, and generally showing great enthusiasm, but were also very well-behaved when moving around from place to place, respecting crowd-control barricades and directions from race officials.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Had to switch back to CNN after spending too much time on Discovery and SciFi (I can't bring myself to type "syfy"...).

Before bed last night, they were talking about how patiently the survivors are behaving. They're waiting in lines for food and water instead of mobbing and fighting, taking care of each other, things like that. One older woman was quoted, "We're all in the same situation, so why fight about it?"

It reminds me of stories I used to read about racing fans in Japan, in this case at F1 races at Suzuka or Fuji Speedway. They were boisterous, dressing to the nines in their favorite manufacturer's or driver's livery, waving flags everywhere, and generally showing great enthusiasm, but were also very well-behaved when moving around from place to place, respecting crowd-control barricades and directions from race officials.
The culture of Japan is very interesting, they have been discussing Gaman on CNN(the japanese word ) meaning to endure and survive with patience and dignity.
JAPANESE CULTURE -- A PRIMER FOR NEWCOMERS

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I kinda wish they could have discussed Gaman without having to resort to a celebrity (maybe a professor or someone like that), but I get the same impression from other East Asian cultures as well.

Well it was a joke on the radio, albeit a bad one.

The nuclear physics professor was referring to superheated water, where it maintains a liquified state above 100 degrees centigrade or 212 degrees fahrenheit. In some steam generators the pressurized temperature can reach 500 degrees fahrenheit. Here is a wikipedia link: Superheated water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the time back in school when these subjects were taught in science class, my mind simply wandered to a particularly attractive female student sitting at a desk nearby.
Lol! D'oh, sorry. Dont think I was paying attention in those classes either, hehe. :redface:

@Nudey - doesn't sound very promising. :(

legionking

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has anyone discussed the no signs of looting and crimes in japan?

Why is there no looting in Japan? – Telegraph Blogs

of all the major natural disasters, japan has reported that there is no looting and no crimes occuring during this time. the people are working together to ensure their survival and safety.

compared to other places that were hit with natural disasters in the past.

They're really disciplined and orderly - kinda like British queue-lovers, but even more so. :)
Good on em.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Has anyone discussed the no signs of looting and crimes in japan?

Why is there no looting in Japan? – Telegraph Blogs

of all the major natural disasters, japan has reported that there is no looting and no crimes occuring during this time. the people are working together to ensure their survival and safety.

compared to other places that were hit with natural disasters in the past.

If that were to happen here - and we know it will at some point - you'll have mass hysteria on a grand scale with a complete and total meltdown of the people.

People here are too plugged into their gadgets and bullshit electronic toys. Shut the grid off, and they loose their minds.
We've already seen this during the power outtage when the grid was taxed.
Even though Japan seems calm - I believe if this was in Tokyo, it would be a different story.

A friend of mine is very into sun activity and solar events. From what he was telling me, the sun is entering a Very active phase - moreso than ever before. Larger solar flares (CMEs) larger discharges of highly polar charged radioactive material that will trash satellites, electronic systems and jack with the earth like we've never seen.

It seems to make sense too. If indeed the earth is highly polarized, you start throwing a magnet at earths poles, things could start to shift.
Now...this is just my babble - no scientific hard facts, but just a theory.
If that is indeed the case - then 2011 will have more severe thunderstorms, more severe weather patterns, more active earthquakes, etc.
I'm not sure about the 2012 thing - but it is interesting on how this year, 2011 the sun is entering it's active phase.
2012 - End of the world? Nah.
End of an era.

So.... When's our turn to 'Ring the churchbells in Boston" again?

http://www.infowireblog.com/2010/08/sun-moves-into-11-year-active-phase/

Last edited:

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Better news:
Fukushima one week on: Situation 'stable', says IAEA
The situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear powerplant in Japan, badly damaged during the extremely severe earthquake and tsunami there a week ago, continues to stabilise. It is becoming more probable by the day that public health consequences will be zero and radiation health effects among workers at the site will be so minor as to be hard to measure. Nuclear experts are beginning to condemn the international hysteria which has followed the incident in increasingly blunt terms.

Rob_81

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was reading online and the background radiation is up 1 microroentgen per hour in far east parts of Asia, not much of an increase, still within safe levels by far, but noteworthy. The radiation around the Fukushima reactors is at almost 10,000 roentgens per hour! Think about that, 1 microroentgen is 1/1,000,000 of a roentgen, and 10-60 microroentgens per hour is safe. That reactor at "ground zero", if you will, is 10,000,000,000 and 166,666,666 times that! That's 10 BILLION and 166 MILLION for those you of you who are exponentially challenged.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The culture of Japan is very interesting, they have been discussing Gaman on CNN(the japanese word ) meaning to endure and survive with patience and dignity.
JAPANESE CULTURE -- A PRIMER FOR NEWCOMERS

Yes. It takes true disasters of unimaginable magnitude to give better perspective on what we think is disastrous... calamity of unspeakable proportions to makes others pale by comparison.

And through it all the Japanese seem to endure it with almost heartbreaking dignity and reserve - without remonstrance, outbursts, outrage, and a lot of people generally acting very badly.

Hats off to them.

(b.c.- new orleans)