Major Solar Flare - Western News silent

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. Amygirl

Gold Member

Home of the Melbourne Cup and the best coffee
    Dammit, I'm not quite far south enough to see the Aurora. I've not heard anything on the local news, though.

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Rikter, how could an X-category solar flare (or the war in Iraq, for that matter) be anywhere near as important as which actors are banging which actresses, which ones are getting married, which ones are getting divorced, which ones are popping out babies, and which ones are adopting third-world babies?

You must think the news media have unlimited resources, right? Priorities, man! Priorities!

4. viking1

Gold Member

I have been interested in astronomy and meteorology for years and I do keep up with things like this. I think the main reason it did not make the news here is that they knew the blast was not direct at Earth. That meant no damage to satellites, communication black outs, power outages, or auroras.

If you are interested in keeping up with things like this you might want to look at: SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Also the Space Environment Center at: Today's Space Weather

The spaceweather site has all kinds of astronomical info not just solar conditions.

5. dags

dags New Member

Great post, thanks.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Took the words right outta my mouth, DC'! May pop celebrity culture live a thousand years!

7. madame_zora

Gold Member

Okay, a lot of things are bringing my blood to a boil thesedays, and this is one among the many. DC pegged it- we are too busy watching the mind-numbing dribble that we are being led to believe is "important" or "newsworthy". I don't have cable anymore, so I turn on a channel on one of the networks and just let it play throughout the day as background noise, but what I hear is astounding.

News programs, REAL news, mind you- now have "entertainment" segments! Why? There are already tons of entertainment shows- why the FUCK is this newsworthy?

"Television, the drug of the nation, breeding ignorance and feeding radiation."

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy: Television, the Drug of the nation

While we look askance at anything a real scientific study discovers, we hail with great joy any snippet of Britney Spear's crotch. What the fuck, ppl? I SWEAR that bitch is on the neocon payroll.

When my daughter was little she had a cartoon video, I think it was "The Littlest Dinosaur", but I'm not sure. It had a scene referring to extinction, and the stupid fat dinosaur said "Don't worry, there'll ALWAYS be more, that's what "more" means!" Yeah, a dumb illustration, but that really IS how most stupid Americans think. Sadly, most Americans are incredibly stupid, and we are usurping the ecosystem's resources at alarming rates.

All this aside, the universe itself does not revolve around us, and "forever" is great as a concept, but may not reflect factual reality. I take comfort in the belief that the incredibly stupid will be wiped out first, because they will not take the necessary precautions to survive. We are beyond the point where brawn is greater than brain, and that makes me very happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted