Majority of American Reject Theory of Evolution

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
Resolved, That Episcopal dioceses and congregation seek the assistance of scientists and science educators in understanding what constitutes reliable scientific knowledge.

It'd be nice if this mature and thoughtful resolution received a wide audience.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JustAsking said:
This just in from the Episcopalians: Resolution A129 just approved:

But what about the turtle guys? The one remaining living witness who knew Darwin personally...only 175 years old, well below a maximum lifespan of 250, in previous good health and then dies suddenly of 'heart failure' after a 'short illness' within days of this thread starting and no-one is suspicious. Where's a conspiracist when we need one?

BTW, her name was Harriet (nee Harry :rolleyes:) for those who care....:redface:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
But what about the turtle guys? The one remaining living witness who knew Darwin personally...only 175 years old, well below a maximum lifespan of 250, in previous good health and then dies suddenly of 'heart failure' after a 'short illness' within days of this thread starting and no-one is suspicious. Where's a conspiracist when we need one?

BTW, her name was Harriet (nee Harry :rolleyes:) for those who care....:redface:
What do you think? Lone turtle strangler, or was there someone else on that grassy knoll?

Media
findfirefox said:
Ignorant people piss me off. Its time to move past "god", or at least time to make some major changes to the evil book that is the bible.

Madam_Z- The only way its ever going to be fine is if there's some massive revelation that the bible is just a book, and that's all.

I think most people who are diverse in their reading accept that the bible is just a book. It is history, fiction, philosophy, and propaganda all in one. And like the major books of the other religions, if taken for some of the wisdoms that it offers, it can have great personal value. It's all in how it is used. The word of God? Hardly. More the word of man attributed to God. There was a survey done amongst the religious community in recent years as to what words they actually felt were attributable to the prophet Jesus seeing as God has spoken to so few. It came down to two words, and hardly memorable.

An evil book? Books aren't evil. It is how the book is used. I will agree that while the bible has positive values, it is also a book that has been, and is still used by misguided people in the name of God and their questionable religious agendas to create and commit great acts of evil in the world. If God exists—and I'll be daringly non-progressiive sans agenda in writing that, I accept that something quite spectacular happened that I can't explain—he is probably hiding in shame at the lunacy that mindless men attribute to him. I'll accept a Creator, and science, and both together, before I will accept formailized religion.

As an educator, I have become more committed to the separation of church and state based on the ignorance and intolerance that I see driving some of the religious agendas. Religion does not belong in public education. Schools are sometimes the last hope for more open-minded and diverse thinking. Every religion has value and none should predominate over another. Yet we have the Christian right once again feeling that they should take precedence. Leave the educating of religion to the religious communities, not the public schools.

As far as the failing of American education, I find that my day is less about teaching, and more about mindless administrative paperwork, red tape, meeting government and state demands, and having to do remedial and reparative work with a confused student population that is the product of incompetent parenting and dysfunctinal homes. George Bush and No Child Left Behind, and its lack of funding, have not helped in raising the level of American education. No wonder Fundamentalism is gaining a foothold.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
chicagosam said:
If God exists—and I'll be daringly non-progressiive sans agenda in writing that, I accept that something quite spectacular happened that I can't explain—he is probably hiding in shame at the lunacy that mindless men attribute to him.
not much of a god then really, is he? :tongue:

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
dong20 said:

Was there a burning cross burning near the corpse?:biggrin1:

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Dr Rock said:
not much of a god then really, is he? :tongue:

I look at it this way---Have you ever really fucked up making dinner and threw it out in the trash, then forgotten about it? I suspect we were trashed a long time ago, and are just deluding ourselves to think we still are on the plate....:rolleyes:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
davidjh7 said:
Was there a burning cross burning near the corpse?:biggrin1:

No, I reckon it was a professional hit, thus ruling out the CIA or MI6.

What disturbs me is that a faint smell of almonds on the lettuce and the note saying among other things; "In the event of my death, Darwins' secret notes are under my shell." seem to have gone entirely unreported so far and the silence of the creationist camp is deafening.