Make-up!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Opalite, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Opalite

Gold Member

I think everyone has his guilty little pleasures, and mine certainly is make-up.

So to all our lovely ladies (and maybe even men?), what are your favorite brands, brushes and produts? And what products do you use daily?

For me, I usually use the Sisley Porcelain foundation (very pale), Rimmel Stay Matte Peach Glow pressed powder combined with some cheap Bloody Mary white powder (I'm very pale, and I'm yet to find a powder that is light enough), l'Oreal Paris Old Rose Blush, Christian eyebrow powder in Dark Brown, l'Oreal Paris Lash Architect and some unbranded liquid eyeliner. I rarely use eyeshadows, but If I do it's mostly stuff by NARS. Lipsticks vary, but I use Kat von D's new line a lot lately.

So, what are your make-up secrets?

#1 Opalite, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well I have to wear makeup sometimes professionally and personally I hate it. I don't pay attention to what they use. I am more freakish about having clean skin. I use Erno Laszlo Sea Mud soap, Light Controlling lotion, and creme de La Mer, and if It's cold outside Dr. Hauschka's lip balm. The best look for me is a light wind or sun burn.

3. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love the pretty colours but I can't be arsed to primp in front of a mirror on a daily basis.

I'm a wash & go girl. Lip balm when the weather is dry. Mascara if I'm feeling fancy. Haven't worn foundation since my mother's wedding. I loathe that crap.

4. Opalite

Gold Member

I never wore any untill my younger sister started to study to become a make-up artist. It all went downhill from there!

Nudeyorker: ever tried the Rituals products (idk if they sell those there)? They have this amazing Touch of Hammam line with seesalt bodyscrubs, mudscrubs, fig and olive boddybutters and lotions! All ingredients are very pure and do wonders for your skin really, my partner is just as much of a skin freak and he loves those!

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'll look into it. In the shower I use Kiss My Face olive oil soap, and Coconut Willy coconut oil once and while I whip up a scrub made with sea salt and lemon and coconut oil. What can I say, I use mayo to condition my hair. I don't know if they still make it, but I used to be hooked on something made by Borghese made in Monticini that was this mud thing you could put on your body and hair.

#5 nudeyorker, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. Opalite

Gold Member

I've tried the mayo thing, but I really cant stand the smell of that stuff. It's gnarly! But I do love anything coconut.. I'll see if I can get some online.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Here you go!
    Browsing Store - Coconut Willie 8oz. Pure Coconut Oil
    In terms of the mayo thing, you only need to use about two tablespoons full and rinse and then use the juice of a lemon and about a cup of hot camomile tea to break the odor of the mayo.

8. Opalite

Gold Member

And then you wont smell like Mc Donnalds the entiere day? Hm, I ought to give that a try sometime! And thanks for the link, I'll definately get me some!

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I love make up and I'm always buying it but I tend to go for colours rather than brands. Most days I don't wear any make up, I'm very pale so people are always asking me if I've been dead for three weeks. When I do wear make up I normally just wear a bit of neutral eyeshadow and some mascara. It's only if I'm going somewhere fancy I bother with foundation, blusher, lipstick. I've got a massive case filled with things I NEEDED but I've never even put a brush to.

My tip, if you want men to go wild with desire, is rub a little chip fat behind each ear, men love chips.

10. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

i can't live without my make up! estee lauder is my personal favorite. the majority of my make up is estee lauder and i have been loyal to them for so many years.

i also own products from clinique, l'oreal paris, christian dior, victoria's secret, cover girl, revlon, and two inexpensive brands called NYC (that i find at target) and NYX (that i find at my eyebrow threading salon).

overall, i would estimate everything in make up in my bag is worth at least $250 (USD). my make up bag, which is also estee lauder, currently contains the following products:

estee lauder
    1 double wear foundation
    1 double wear powder
    1 perfectionist mascara
    1 soft matte bronzer
    3 lipsticks in various shades

l'oreal
    3 eyeshadows
    1 high intense pigment cream liner
    1 lipstick

clinique
    4 in 1 eyeshadow/bronzer/blush palette
    1 lip gloss

christian dior
    1 dior addict lip gloss

victoria's secret
    4 lip glosses in various shades

covergirl
    1 clear mascara

revlon
    1 sculpting blush

NYC
    2 eyeliner/eyebrow pencils

NYX
    1 lip liner

three tricks i use and live by:

for an excellent concealer, dab a bit of your regular moisturizer and a drop of foundation together. mix well with your pinky finger or a q-tip, then apply where needed (around the eyes, on blemishes, etc). it keeps the skin hydrated and concealed.

for filling in eyebrows, avoid using a pencil. instead, use an eyeshadow that's close to the hair color of your brows. with an edged brush, lightly apply to the brow and smooth away excess with a q-tip. it works wonders and takes away that drawn-in "sharpie" look.

for removing eye make up, dab a drop of lotion or moisturizer to a cotton ball. close eyes and avoid opening while generously wiping away. the lotion/moisturizer picks up the eyeshadow, smudged eyeliner, and clumpy mascara at the end of the day.

#10 D_Ivana Dickenside, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  11. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I don't wear makeup but I do look after my skin, and I don't mind spending a lot on it.

In particular I'm mad about eye cream, my current eye cream is the best I've ever used and it's fantastic, it's Lisse Experte by Yves Saint Laurent.

I also use Vichy Normaderm facial scrub, or one by Biotherm. I have extremely sensitive skin so the moisturiser I use is very plain it's Simple Regeneration age resisting night cream, I can't use a lot of day creams because they contain UV block which makes my skin react really badly (even though I know that UV block is recommended for keeping the skin youthful), I also use Guerlain Issima Secret Divin Skin Perfecting Serum which is amazing frankly.

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sex...angry and urgent.

Curse you and your teasingly misleading thread title, woman!

:biggrin1:

13. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love make-up. I put it on when I feel nervous and it soothes me. I put it on when I feel frumpy, and it makes me feel like a lady. I put it on when someone is driving me far, far away, and I feel productive. I prefer Estee Lauder, Fashion Fair, and MAC, but I've found quite a few different mascaras that make me happy outside my usual brands. These include Bad Gal lash, and my current hero, Fiberwig. If I must have make-up, but only have five minutes, it's going to be:

MAC concealer
    Fiberwig mascara
    Mary Kay liquid liner
    Estee Lauder lip gloss

I don't like to go out without shiny lips.

14. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Other than the rare time I have gone to a drag party and worn full slap I occasionally wear manscara on a night out. :redface:

Draft saved Draft deleted