Make-up

MagicJohnsonFan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Since I'll be getting married soon, I've started looking at how I might want to do my hair and make-up. While I was getting my hair done a few weeks ago I had one of the gals at the salon do my make-up at the suggestion of my hair stylist. :eek:

I actually wear quite a bit of make-up normally, but the art is in making sure it doesn't look like I'm wearing much at all. When this woman got done with me I and I looked in the mirror I was horrified! I almost couldn't believe she was serious. The foundation looked an inch thick, the eye shadow was hideous, and don't even get me started on my eyebrows! One of my friends tried hard to be supportive but was vastly relieved when I told him that I wasn't going with that look for the wedding. Too bad he doesn't live local or I'd have him do it.

I could do my own make-up for the wedding, but ideally I'll spend the morning being pampered and having someone else do my hair and make-up. I've never had it done at a make-up counter - any suggestions on which to try? Is there a difference from brand to brand or does it all depend on the individual

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Since I'll be getting married soon, I've started looking at how I might want to do my hair and make-up. While I was getting my hair done a few weeks ago I had one of the gals at the salon do my make-up at the suggestion of my hair stylist. :eek:

I actually wear quite a bit of make-up normally, but the art is in making sure it doesn't look like I'm wearing much at all. When this woman got done with me I and I looked in the mirror I was horrified! I almost couldn't believe she was serious. The foundation looked an inch thick, the eye shadow was hideous, and don't even get me started on my eyebrows! One of my friends tried hard to be supportive but was vastly relieved when I told him that I wasn't going with that look for the wedding. Too bad he doesn't live local or I'd have him do it.

I could do my own make-up for the wedding, but ideally I'll spend the morning being pampered and having someone else do my hair and make-up. I've never had it done at a make-up counter - any suggestions on which to try? Is there a difference from brand to brand or does it all depend on the individual

Don't let someone do your makeup for your wedding. My feelings about make up are exactly like yours. I made the mistake of letting people do my make up at the counter in the nice mall store and people from Mary Kay who have been selling make up for years. You think of all people these people would know how to do makeup. And while they probably made me look FINE, i didnt think i looked like ME. They fucked up my pencil thin eyebrows. They wanted to make me have this thicker hollywood model brow. I have petite features on my face and a larger brow looked ridiculous.

Back to why i think you should do your own has a lot more to do with the fact you will look back at your wedding photos and never feel angry about how your makeup looked. I did my own and never regret it. When you have someone else do it they will have their own interpretation of what they would do at their wedding. Or what they think looks good on you specifically. If you have any doubts about someone else doing it, especially based on previous experiences, just dont do it.

I look back on my wedding photos and still have a twinkle in my eye about how fabulous it looked. If i turned that job over to someone else i know i would still be brewing over something like my brows.

I had a client that had some wedding photos up and her eyebrows were like the silliest looking hairy catapillars shaped like hockey sticks. They werent even funny silly i totally felt sorry for her and the person who did her makeup probably thought they looked fine but its the only thing anyone could look at.

Given that you are experienced with makeup its best that your wedding face be a work of art you created and feel looks like something you'd want and love. Oh and the hardest thing on the planet is telling the chick who just did your makeup and is soooooo proud that you dont like it. They don't take criticism well.

I'll link you to a wedding photo to inspire you and Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

tasteslikejellyjam

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well traditionally make-up for a wedding is done to look fresh or nude with some kind of up duo... usually a twist of some kind... depending on whether or not you choose a veil comb or tiara...

BUT you have to remember your wedding photos... the lighting can wash out make-up so they tend to go thicker or more contrasty... some people prefer to do their wedding photos a week before because of these types of issues...

I suggest asking you photographer if they recommend someone for hair & make-up... ALWAYS ask to see a portfolio of their work...

my father is a stylist... and one thing I have learned over the years... most men do better hair & make-up then women... look for a male stylist if possible... post a wanted ad on craig's list for a male stylist with wedding or photography experience... ask to see a portfolio with the ad...

I recommend creams with power sealers for long days... matte is the best way to go because with the nervousness & what not you will be building a shine... you don't want that...

Opalite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had my make-up done by numerous people, and while most were horrible - some were better than I could have ever done it, and I'm a real fanatic.

Don't have it done in a store or a hairsalon, but look up a good make-up artist and browse their portfolios to see if they'd fit your needs. I've actually learned a lot from make-up artists (it does help my little sister is too). Eventhough I still aim for the same look, it does get more natural.

Bringing pictures of something you would have one yourself can help them get an idea of what you'd like, but done in the most flathering way. With the right artist, it could really make you feel extra glamerous for your special day.

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had my make-up done by numerous people, and while most were horrible - some were better than I could have ever done it, and I'm a real fanatic.

Don't have it done in a store or a hairsalon, but look up a good make-up artist and browse their portfolios to see if they'd fit your needs. I've actually learned a lot from make-up artists (it does help my little sister is too). Eventhough I still aim for the same look, it does get more natural.

Bringing pictures of something you would have one yourself can help them get an idea of what you'd like, but done in the most flathering way. With the right artist, it could really make you feel extra glamerous for your special day.

Exactly.

I'm a makeup artist (still part time), and honestly...if you are going to hire someone, make sure they have a portfolio where you can see their work. Women at the makeup store either have experience with professional products, or have just as much experience as you do...

Either way, no matter what level, their goal is to SELL. Not to highlight your natural features, contour your face appropriately, draw attention away from imperfections, and make you feel flawless. Especially on your big day. They want you in that chair, they want you to fall in love with a product whether it's suited best for you or not, and they want you to buy it right then and there. Once you say yes or no, they're putting someone else in that chair. Remember that.

A lot of makeup artists (most who do bridal work) have consultations. Look up some in your area. California is makeup artist central. See their websites, see what they charge, see if they give a free consultation (some do charge, and sometimes a nifty penny if they're worth it, so don't be surprised.)

A consultation is almost necessary, though, whether free or not, ESPECIALLY for your wedding. I highly recommend it. Consultations not only let you meet the artist in person, see how they work, see a sample of their work for what they would do on the day of, their body of work if they have it on hand (portfolio), and you get to tell him/her specifically face to face what you want done. You can tell the artist your trouble areas, things you're concerned about, how natural/classic/contemporary you want your look to be.

Also, ask if they're certified in bridal makeup. I'm not certified, it's not necessary, and most of the greats were self-taught, but if it makes you feel secure about it, you have a right to ask. (If they have a website, it will usually say in their bio what school they either graduated from or if they're certified and specialize in certain areas of makeup.)

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
A lot of makeup artists (most who do bridal work) have consultations. Look up some in your area. California is makeup artist central. See their websites, see what they charge, see if they give a free consultation (some do charge, and sometimes a nifty penny if they're worth it, so don't be surprised.)

that is so true. i know sooo many people, men and women, who do make up. a friend of mine even tore down a bedroom in her house and turned it into a mini salon for hair, makeup, nails, facials, etc. also, many artists will do your make up for free as long as they can photograph you as part of their portfolio. you just have to ask around.

check your local craigslist for freelance artists who don't charge an arm and a leg, or maybe nothing at all. and like katt said, show the artist a photo of something you want to give them a general idea of how you want to look on your special day.

voidout

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
that is so true. i know sooo many people, men and women, who do make up. a friend of mine even tore down a bedroom in her house and turned it into a mini salon for hair, makeup, nails, facials, etc. also, many artists will do your make up for free as long as they can photograph you as part of their portfolio. you just have to ask around.

Oh wow! I WISH I had the money to turn my rooms into a mini salon!! lol.