male bashing on espn

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

rodsmith: Anybody see the Bud Light commercial where the guy gets a ball in the nuts, a piano dropped on him, etc? Men have put up with enough and commercials shouldnt be cashing in on us getting slammed. Don't you agree? Maybe it's time we boycotted Budweiser and let them know why.
    Comments?

2. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Aren't we a little sensitive?

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

[quote author=Chubby-Sexy link=board=99;num=1057623545;start=0#1 date=07/07/03 at 19:23:36]Aren't we a little sensitive?[/quote]

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. What are you doing, trying to build up the most posts on the board? Think of something nice to say about someone else or even yourself for a change. Or just lurk and don't post at all. Please!

Sorry for this tirade, guys, I'm just a little tired of Chubby's negativity on this board.

Pecker the Positive

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

rodsmith, we've discussed this topic in various forms before. But the topic is timely, I think, because the problem of male-bashing persists, even in this PC world. I did a search and found an article from which I copied the following:

"...turn on CBS's Monday night comedies: King of Queens, Yes, Dear, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Still Standing. Over the next two hours, you see four male lead characters who are nothing like you. These men are selfish and lazy, inconsiderate husbands and poor parents.

"And the commercials in between aren't any better. Among them: A feminine hygiene ad: Two women are traveling down a lovely country road, laughing and having a great time. But wait. One of them needs to check the freshness of her mini-pad, and, apparently, the next rest area is six states away. A woman's voice-over interjects, 'It's obvious that the interstate system was designed by men.'

"A digital camera ad: A young husband walks through a grocery store, trying to match photos in his hand with items on the shelves. Cut to his wife in the kitchen, snapping digital pictures of all the items in the pantry so that hubby won't screw up the shopping.

"A family game ad: A dorky guy and beautiful woman are playing Trivial Pursuit. He asks her, 'How much does the average man's brain weigh?' Her answer: 'Not much.'

"A wine ad: A group of women are sitting around the patio of a beach house, drinking a blush wine. Their boyfriends approach, but are denied refreshment until they have 'earned' it by building a sand statue of David.

"Welcome to the new comic image of men on tv: incompetence at its worst. Where television used to feature wise and wonderful fathers and husbands, today's comedies and ads often feature bumbling husbands and inept, uninvolved fathers. On Still Standing, Bill (Mark Addy) embarrasses his wife Judy (Jamie Gertz) so badly in front of her reading group, that she is dropped from the group. On Everybody Loves Raymond, Raymond (Ray Romano) must choose between bathing the twin boys or helping his daughter with her homework. He begrudgingly agrees to assist his daughter, for whom he is no help whatsoever."

I guess this will continue, rod, until men become a minority and can then gain some rights to protect ourselves.

In the meantime I guess we'll just have to look neanderthal-ly at the situation, grunt primally to ourselves and just go back to work operating nuclear power plants, running governments, piloting airliners and barbequing for the family on the weekends.

Pecker

5. Max

Max New Member

Pecker

I agree 100% .. and the last few words of your last sentence say it all.

'Male bashing' is an irritation, but if you look at it properly, you have to see it as a compliment to the male sex, however backhanded it may seem. A British survey a while back showed that men as a group are congenitally sceptical and resistant to advertising ... that has to be to our credit, don't you think?

6. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: All I see is a commercial. I have never felt guys have been bashed and if guys are bashed, maybe it'll make up for the degradation of women in some commercials. As for the shows you mentioned, it's all entertainment. Sometimes I do ask why is Ray so stupid, but I have never equated it with male bashing, just the individual. Times have changed, you won't find Ward Cleaver these days, those types are often boring. People want to laugh, sometimes at themselves or at others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    My posting is not a race. How many times do I have to tell you that? Believe it or not I hold my tongue (fingers) quite a lot. Some posts I get finished writing before I decide not to post. This is how I am online particularly in forums and chats. Live with it and move on.  

I don't see myself as THAT negative. If you saw things that I do or experienced them like I do you wouldn't be so jolly and all smiles yourself. Remember what side of the coin you're on. I say nice things to people all the time, but I refuse to kiss ass. Now, tell me where I have lately said anything bad about myself. And if I start randomly talking about the stuff I love about myself, I'd be WAY off topic. Other people post as much if not more than I do. I have a good time here and generally like the people.

I enjoy your posts Pecker and I don't appreciate you trying to bury a hatchet in my back.

7. Imported

Gold Member

rodsmith: I can accept bilbobaggins theory and the reality of it but I think that the commercial I'm describing is ENTIRELY too abusive and violent. And most likely it was conceived by men and is aimed at a primarily male audience. But we have to draw the line somewhere, as a sex. Women won't tolerate it and we shouldn't either. Men do most of the working and dying in this world and we deserve more respect.

8. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: In this PC world we live in, male bashing is accepted, as long as it's understood that it's the middle and upper-middle class white male who is the target. For some reason, we are supposedly accountable for everything that's wrong in the world. It's not acceptable to make jokes about any minority group, whether racial or sexual, it's not acceptable to make any kind of remark about women, etc. We men need to stand up for our rights. However, if we do, we are perceived as being aggressive and then that becomes threatening. We damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.

@Bilbo--I agree with your post about Hapi or Chubby or whatever his name is. I also see a lot of negativity in his posts. I've kept my mouth quiet up to this point, but I get so tired of having to read his responses that reek of jealousy. He says he's trying to get over his issues of size, but obviously he hasn't yet.
    I've been on LPSG through several of its incarnations, and I don't have anywhere near the number of posts that he does, and he's only been here few months.
    Ok, sorry if I sound negative, but it's just how I feel on this matter.

9. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I'm not quite so sure I follow the thread.

Whatever Budweiser intended in that commercial, I have a hard time interpreting "male bashing" from the description. Sounds like the guy has had one of those inevitable really-shitty days and the perfect way to cap it off is with a beer -- and I'd agree, at least, experientially.

Or what about the latest Snickers Crunch[sup]TM[/sup] commericial with the guy driving around in the Hummer rip-off self-aggrandizing the beastly car only to wreck his garage with it? Is that a "satisfying crunch?" Well, if some smart ass is making a big deal out of his car, yeah, I say he deserves to get it wrecked. That's what he gets for being a show-off, and I think the fact that he's a guy or that he's white or that he's perceived to have some socioeconomic success seems pretty irrevelant. I'd have the same reaction regardless of color or gender.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think the media is trying to victimize the stock-white-guy any more than they deserve; in fact, it's just the opposite. While you guys have these feelings about the commercials you see, it still gets under my skin to see a disproportionately high number of minorities as criminals in the local news, or as a high population in the jail system, or that minorities make the best entertainers, athletes, musicians -- but fuck any other real life opportunities. Sure, you get Enron scandals and government corruption, but those figures are specifically targeted i.e. Bush, Cheney, etc. An affront to them isn't an affront to the entire white race; not so sure the same can be said, media-wise, for minorities.

10. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Actually, those who have the majority of the power have the same rights as everyone else, it's just that they are often preferred over those without and often get their way. It's those who are the underdogs that need support and a boost to level the field... whatever it is. Men arguing for their rights would be such a laughing stock, no one would take them seriously.

11. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

[quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=99;num=1057623545;start=0#8 date=07/08/03 at 20:14:42]...In all seriousness, though, I don't think the media is trying to victimize the stock-white-guy any more than they deserve; in fact, it's just the opposite.  While you guys have these feelings about the commercials you see, it still gets under my skin to see a disproportionately high number of minorities as criminals in the local news, or as a high population in the jail system, or that minorities make the best entertainers, athletes, musicians -- but fuck any other real life opportunities....[/quote]

Damn, Dee, you've gone and bashed the white male now!

We're talking about stupid commericals. Don't make it political. If we use your reasoning, we'll be scared silly that we're going to hurt somebody's feelings simply because we don't like to see on TV a woman who uses a .com voodoo site to burn her former boyfriend's feet, prick him with pins and shrink his head because he might be having fun when she's apparently miserable and vindictive.

The point is, women can put down men and even maim or torture them when it is unquestionably suicidal for a brand to advertise a man doing that to a woman.

Lighten up, Dee! The string is perfect for tongue-in-cheek and friendly responses. Let's keep it that way!

;)

Pecker

Draft saved Draft deleted