Male emotions

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that to being a man isnt that easy like most people think.
Man in this society cant show many emotions because of the fear of being perceive like wimps. We cry when we feel very sad and we feel fear. One of the few emotions that society accept as being manly is anger . What do you guys think about the subject?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Man in this society cant show many emotions because of the fear of being perceive like wimps. We cry when we feel very sad and we feel fear. One of the few emotions that society accept as being manly is anger . What do you guys think about the subject?
I think you may be wrong. I am a man and frequently put on display in public any emotion I may have.....Nothin sexier than a man who feels sure enough of himself to be vulnerable and cry in public.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you may be wrong. I am a man and frequently put on display in public any emotion I may have.....Nothin sexier than a man who feels sure enough of himself to be vulnerable and cry in public.
Most men feel umcomfortable showing their emotions in public . That's what the topic of the thread is about .

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most men feel umcomfortable showing their emotions in public . That's what the topic of the thread is about .
I'll respectfully disagree with this premise. I believe that society has changed enough where men are more and more frequently comfortable enough to show emotion in public.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll respectfully disagree with this premise. I believe that society has changed enough where men are more and more frequently comfortable enough to show emotion in public.

Is fine that you disagree with the premise . It would be a good idea to put this thread isn a poll mode . To find out if most male members feel comfortable with showing their emotions in public.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I don't think there is any lack of public emotional displays from men in contemporary society. It really depends on the type of emotion we're discussing. I tend to agree with TB that men are on balance much less likely to display the sorts of emotion I think he means.

For instance; I don't recall ever seeing a man cry at his desk because someone upset him or was passed over etc, I've seen women do so many times. I don't recall ever seeing a man cry because his girlfriend said something insensitive, whereas I have seen many girls in tears because of some offhand comment. I don't doubt that in these instances they may have wanted to, but felt they couldn't, or shouldn't. Isn't that what TB is getting at?

I'm not suggesting that suppression of (public) emotion by men (or women) is a good thing, that it's right or wrong or that it's absolute, merely that, in my experience it's just a common characterisic of men to 'hold back the tears'.

I agree that it's changing and become more acceptable, or rather less 'unacceptable' for men to show such emotions; but I also think (at least on some levels) that men and women have fundamentally different ways of handling stressfull situations. For the most part, I also think that men are less proficient at dealing with emotional stress. There are doubtless a wide and debatable range of reasons for this, some societal, some probably evolutionary, some merely unfathomable.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I am remembering it correctly, you have indicated that you are not from the U.S. In the U.S. at least being emotional at all levels is becoming more acceptable. Crying is no longer frowned upon as it once was and fear is not seen as as bad a thing as it once was. Many of these changes have come about gradually. All were given a big boost by one of the more horrific events of recent years- the airplane attacks of 2001. At that time, men were seen crying, running in fear and nobody found it to be a negative thing.

Some cultures still are heartily offended by display of any emotion- including anger. Men are to be as robotic as possible, all while appearing strong and as leaders. My advice is that you cry if you need to and if you are afraid of something, let a close friend or loved one know- fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Better to be afraid of leaping from a bridge with a cheap elastic cord which seems frayed and not jump, than to plummet to your death because you wanted to appear manly. If people view you as a wimp then that is their problem, not yours.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What do you guys think about the subject?

My experience has been that if a man wants to be taken seriously in this world he dare only express in public:

* Anger

* Humor (better if angry humor)

Expressing anything else will, despite assurances otherwise, lead to ruin.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My experience has been that if a man wants to be taken seriously in this world he dare only express in public:

* Anger

* Humor (better if angry humor)

Expressing anything else will, despite assurances otherwise, lead to ruin.
Yes i agree 100%.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
tallbig;

I offer my apologies for the multiposting on the preceeding page. I have sent a PM to both Naughty and Pecker asking to have the excess removed. It reads as follows:

In a topic started by member tallbig, on Male Emotion (in the Etcetera Forum)I responded. After composing the response I clicked on 'preview post'. Nothing happened and I clicked again...and again...and yet again! The result was ONE, I repeat, ONE preview message. After that, I clicked on 'submit'. Three minutes later when it appeared, there were also 6 or 7 duplicates of the same post! Is there any way that the excess posts can be deleted?
Thank you for your time and trouble on this.

Northland

Again, I tender to you my sincerest apology on this matter.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I am remembering it correctly, you have indicated that you are not from the U.S. In the U.S. at least being emotional at all levels is becoming more acceptable. Crying is no longer frowned upon as it once was and fear is not seen as as bad a thing as it once was. Many of these changes have come about gradually. All were given a big boost by one of the more horrific events of recent years- the airplane attacks of 2001. At that time, men were seen crying, running in fear and nobody found it to be a negative thing.

Some cultures still are heartily offended by display of any emotion- including anger. Men are to be as robotic as possible, all while appearing strong and as leaders. My advice is that you cry if you need to and if you are afraid of something, let a close friend or loved one know- fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Better to be afraid of leaping from a bridge with a cheap elastic cord which seems frayed and not jump, than to plummet to your death because you wanted to appear manly. If people view you as a wimp then that is their problem, not yours.
I get what you are saying but i was trying to point out that men arent totally free to express all emotions in public in this society most of the time, in most cultures . To avoid being perceive as wimps and to avoid to appear vulnerable to others.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
tallbig;

I offer my apologies for the multiposting on the preceeding page. I have sent a PM to both Naughty and Pecker asking to have the excess removed. It reads as follows:

In a topic started by member tallbig, on Male Emotion (in the Etcetera Forum)I responded. After composing the response I clicked on 'preview post'. Nothing happened and I clicked again...and again...and yet again! The result was ONE, I repeat, ONE preview message. After that, I clicked on 'submit'. Three minutes later when it appeared, there were also 6 or 7 duplicates of the same post! Is there any way that the excess posts can be deleted?
Thank you for your time and trouble on this.

Northland

Again, I tender to you my sincerest apology on this matter.

It wasnt your fault , the site got very slow a while ago. I repeat posts in my other thread too.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think men are comfortable with expressing emotion in public...especially crying. I think they have an easier time of expressing anger in public, otherwise I think they mask (in public) the feelings they feel uncomfortable expressing through humor. I have rarely ever seen a man cry in public...I've only seen my son cry in public when his sister died, and when his cousin, uncle and grandfather died, and even then he tried to be stoic and supportive of others...his concerns were for others. I've seen my father, brother, cousins, nephews cry at the funerals but still it was difficult for them to share that emotion.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For instance; I don't recall ever seeing a man cry at his desk because someone upset him or was passed over etc, I've seen women do so many times. I don't recall ever seeing a man cry because his girlfriend said something insensitive, whereas I have seen many girls in tears because of some offhand comment. I don't doubt that in these instances they may have wanted to, but felt they couldn't, or shouldn't. Isn't that what TB is getting at?

Maybe we don't cry because we just don't give a rat's ass about lots of things that women take to heart. Things just don't bother us as much. We just don't care - certainly not enough to cry in public. Nothing really would make me ball other than perhaps the death of someone close to me. Nothing else is really that moving. A tear at the movie theater maybe but nothing more.

We as men are conditioned from a very early age not to cry in subtle and incidious ways. But boys cry anyways without remorse but less and less as they age, as they become more wise and hardened to life.

Perhaps it's the hormone difference because I don't think it is the stimulus nor the conditioning.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I think that anger is too easy to access and because it is, it is the most employed emotion in society and the most damaging in impact.

No wonder there are so many dead rappers.

I think men should know when to say something about how they feel. I felt awkward when my Brother's wife died, and I asked him how he felt and if there was anything I could do and he turned his back to me and stared at the ceiling. He froze at that point and never opened up to anyone in the family after that.

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am a man with strong emotions. In many ways my life has been a struggle in learning how to live with them and express them in a way that is acceptable.

Me too. Personally I will not show most of my emotions unless I am with someone I really trust, so obviously my range of emotional display in public is very limited. For me it is an issue of self-protection.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You don't live in a small town that still has ties to the land. I don't show emotions in public other than laughter, smile or grimace.